The Boring Thread

Spoony

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/05/2020 at 15:03, mjmooney said:

I bought some shoelaces, and I'm a bit disappointed with the quality. 

I prefer flat shoelaces. The round ones always seem to come undone. Also the ones that are made out of nylony type stuff are bobbins. A nice cloth based, flat lace is my ideal shoelace. Perhaps in brown.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I prefer flat shoelaces. The round ones always seem to come undone. Also the ones that are made out of nylony type stuff are bobbins. A nice cloth based, flat lace is my ideal shoelace. Perhaps in brown.

Agreed. These useless things (internet purchase) were not only round, but thin

• Sad 1

We have three sets of cutlery. The 'nice' set, the cheapo everyday set, and a bunch of random leftovers and 'orphan' utensils. They are kept in three different drawers. Similar story with crockery - good set, cheap set, and non-matching bits and pieces. Kept in different cupboards.

When I load the dishwasher, we've often used stuff from all of the above, so I stack them carefully, like with like. This way, unloading and putting away is simple. If, however, Mrs M loads the dishwasher, she just puts everything in all jumbled up together. I think I have a good case for divorce, or mitigating circumstances in a murder trial. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We have three sets of cutlery. The 'nice' set, the cheapo everyday set, and a bunch of random leftovers and 'orphan' utensils. They are kept in three different drawers. Similar story with crockery - good set, cheap set, and non-matching bits and pieces. Kept in different cupboards.

When I load the dishwasher, we've often used stuff from all of the above, so I stack them carefully, like with like. This way, unloading and putting away is simple. If, however, Mrs M loads the dishwasher, she just puts everything in all jumbled up together. I think I have a good case for divorce, or mitigating circumstances in a murder trial. 

My battle is once they come out of the dishwasher (though proper loading is another, albeit smaller, battle unto itself).   Our drawer divider has enough sections to keep dinner forks separated from smaller dessert and salad forks and teaspoons separated from tablespoons.   Even if I empty the dishwasher and separate them, the kids generally set the table and I'm as likely to end up with a small fork as a big one at dinner.  They all know it's important to me but just can't be bothered to pay attention.   It's to the point where my daughter will intentionally give me a tiny dessert fork and give big ones to the rest of them just for a laugh.   I'm thinking there must be some kind of "re-education" camp I can send them to.  If not, I fear that I will end up with you in the cutlery-inspired crime of passion wing of the penitentiary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Ah, well, there's a whole raft of solution options here, surely? All winners.

Solution 1. Stop loading and unloading the dishwasher (depends if you value your own life, though, I guess).

Solution 2. Allow the cutlery to mix, that way in no time at all you'll have just one large set of mingled irons, thus solving the problem forever.

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Ah, well, there's a whole raft of solution options here, surely? All winners.

Solution 1. Stop loading and unloading the dishwasher (depends if you value your own life, though, I guess).

Solution 2. Allow the cutlery to mix, that way in no time at all you'll have just one large set of mingled irons, thus solving the problem forever.

Solution 1 - you have already anticipated the fatal flaw. 

Solution 2 - what sort of savage do you take me for? My OCD would go so critical I'd end up hospitalised! 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

what sort of savage do you take me for? My OCD would go so critical I'd end up hospitalised!

Ah, sorry. I didn't know you were a cutlery rocket polisher (no offence).

Deepest apologies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I've never had a dishwasher. 

I went many years without one quite happily. Then got one and didn’t really see the point. Took just as long to load and unload, then you have to check the stuff and rewash. It uses lots of water and electricity. I would just use it once a week to stop it from smelling. 
Then when we moved house we left it behind and I’ve not missed it one bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

When I moved in with the Mrs 20 years ago we bought a set of pans. We still have them now and use them daily.

Same. Stainless steel, made by Stellar. Totally invunerable. I've burned stuff in them countless times, it just scours off and looks good as new. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Xann said:

We've gone back to loose leaf tea.

We have the triangles. We got them because they are plastic free but the flavour is pretty good too. We also have loose leaf if we fancy a pot. 

Â