Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

Loan or otherwise, it's a sensible move. Left back has been a problematic position all season and many teams benefit from it. It'll take the pressure off Luna and give us some quality. He'll be hungry and wanting to prove a point. Good bit of business.

Like I said in the transfer thread an admittance that after signing two players for the same position that money has been wasted. Let's hope it is now third time lucky.

This is the type of signing he should have made in the first place and not trying to be a smart ass in buying cheap players with no experience of playing in the Premiership.

Loan or otherwise, it's a sensible move. Left back has been a problematic position all season and many teams benefit from it. It'll take the pressure off Luna and give us some quality. He'll be hungry and wanting to prove a point. Good bit of business.

Like I said in the transfer thread an admittance that after signing two players for the same position that money has been wasted. Let's hope it is now third time lucky.

This is the type of signing he should have made in the first place and not trying to be a smart ass in buying cheap players with no experience of playing in the Premiership.

A smart ass for buying cheap players? He's practically had to build a new squad. Don't you think he wants to spend more money on players? Do you think this is Lamberts idea to have little money for players? We haven't even signed Bertrand, we've **** loaned him!

• Like 2

If he hadn't wasted our limited budget on complete dross he wouldn't have had to bring someone in on loan. Yes it is a loan but could he not have done that when he first came to the club or were we banned from loaning players?

Decent signing. But the loan thing does grate a little. Hope we are not just giving a player a chance to get a little more experience before being whipped away and leaving us back at square one.

In my opinion the loan system is now out of control. Apparently Chelsea now have 24 players out on loan. Virtually a whole squad of players

I believe Ryan was his orginal target but both Dimateo blocked it. Really don't understand the smart ass comment. If his orginal targets can't be brought what is he suppossed to do. I still think both luna and bennet will come good, but they both need what fans don't want to give, time. Neither have had that so far.

If he hadn't wasted our limited budget on complete dross he wouldn't have had to bring someone in on loan. Yes it is a loan but could he not have done that when he first came to the club or were we banned from loaning players?

We tried to sign Bertrand before the other left backs we ended up buying.

I believe Ryan was his orginal target but both Dimateo blocked it. Really don't understand the smart ass comment. If his orginal targets can't be brought what is he suppossed to do. I still think both luna and bennet will come good, but they both need what fans don't want to give, time. Neither have had that so far.

Exactly. Like with all managers, some signings work out and some don't. For the record I think it's too early to judge Luna properly yet. Even Bennett hasn't had a lot of chances given the fact that he's been injured for most of this season.

Quite surprised by this, certainly didn't think we'd get a LB this window. Shrewd signing, and who knows, if Chelsea get Luke Shaw in the summer, we could certainly get Bertrand on a permanent deal. 

This was one of my first thoughts.

Some really positive quotes from Ryan about the club:

Bertrand said: "It's a fantastic opportunity for me to come here. Aston Villa is a fantastic club with a massive fanbase and a great history. To get this chance to come here and play some games will be a really good step for me.

"Whenever I've played for Chelsea here at Villa Park the fans have been fantastic and have always created a great atmosphere. The pitch, too, has always been great, including when we played in the Community Shield here against Manchester City, and I'm looking forward to playing on it more regularly until the end of the season.

"I've had to adjust many times in my career having played under several managers, so I know I can settle in here quickly and I'm looking forward to being able to contribute to the team.

"I'm focussed on continuing to progress and helping the team here to do that, too. We have a lot of young, talented players here with some experienced heads as well, they want to express themselves and I hope I can add to that and add my experience in a productive way.

"This is a really traditional English club, a family club as well and you get the feeling that everyone really knows one another, so that side's not been lost either.

"Knowing some of the lads here, too, such as Fabian Delph, Marc Albrighton and a few others will really help, too, and I couldn't be more looking forward to playing my part here."

Too much consensus in this thread for my liking, so let me strike a slightly sour note: I love this stuff that the PR [people write for footballers to "say" when they move clubs. Has there ever been a player who didn't think he was moving to a fantastic club with fabulous fans and that it was a tremendous opportunity?  ;)

OK, time to rejoin the consensus. This is a good signing and I am pleased. Good heavens, we may even be able to take our hands away from covering our eyes whenever there is an attack down our left flank for a change. Welcome Ryan, and good to see we still have a beard at left back.  :)

What I like about this signing is that it gives us a bit more flexibility. We could play him instead of Luna at LB in some games and then play him ahead of Luna in other games where we might need to be more defensive. Could also play wingback in a 3-5-2/5-3-2 as well and also gives us some natural width which we've struggled with all season. Hope there's an option for a permanent deal

Edited by Biskitt

yeah I reckon there's a chance he'll be used in midfield as well sometimes. either way it'll help out Luna, he either needs to be taken out of firing line or to have more support in front of him on the pitch.

wouldn't be surprised if we loan out Bennett to a championship club to get some gametime, he's unlikely to feature this season now.

The only downside is where we are in the summer. Like with walker, we lose a good player, get no money for him and once again need a lb

I can't see Bertrand going back to Chelsea like Walker went back to Spurs.

Probably not, but the question may be whether he wants to sign for us on lower half Championship/League 1 wages.

Â