Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

Not that I've seen him play more than on a couple of occasions, but this seems like a god loan signing.

LB is one of our weakest areas and from the little I've seen Bertrand is clearly better than the ones we have.

Lets not get carried away ;)

Haha Jesus

Luna's OK going forward, he just can't defend. 

Possibly use him as a winger in front of Bertrand? 

Hmm i dont even rate him going forward. I prefer Bennett going forward. Has a better cross on him and hes quicker. Luna.. well.. doesnt offer much imo.

Luna's OK going forward, he just can't defend. 

Possibly use him as a winger in front of Bertrand? 

Hmm i dont even rate him going forward. I prefer Bennett going forward. Has a better cross on him and hes quicker. Luna.. well.. doesnt offer much imo.

I agree. 

I could see Bennett playing further forward as he has good footwork and a decent cross but was too easily pushed about in defense.

I have not been very impressed with Luna in either attack or defense.

By the way.. what is it about Bertrand being a winger? Wasnt he supposed to be really good in defense and not that great in attack? I thought thats why he played in the CL under Di Matteo to shore up the defence at left wing and Matteo was criticised for being too defensive? I didnt think he did all that much in attack? If he does thats even better. I have only seen him play a few times but i remembered him as being a really good defender. (which is good mind you :))

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar Clark Bertrand

El Ahmadi Westwood Delph

Benteke Agbonlahor

OR Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Albrighton Westwood Delph Bertrand

Benteke Agbonlahor

i dont think he'll be a solid LB, more an attacking LB or LM who can help Luna out, if he's short term i think he's here to aid the current LB's not stick them in reserves

• Like 1

We don't use left midfielders.  Delph, Westwood, Sylla, KEA are all central.  We don't really use left wingers.  Gabby's a modified striker and even at that I don't think his place is under threat.  So Bertrand is either here to replace an underperforming leftback or we've decided to change our system to accommodate a new type of player & position.  I think the former is much more likely.  It helps our flexibility that we can change to something new if the need arises - because I think both Lowton & Bacuna could play a simliar role on the right - but for me we've signed a leftback.  Simple as that.

We don't use left midfielders. Delph, Westwood, Sylla, KEA are all central. We don't really use left wingers. Gabby's a modified striker and even at that I don't think his place is under threat. So Bertrand is either here to replace an underperforming leftback or we've decided to change our system to accommodate a new type of player & position. I think the former is much more likely. It helps our flexibility that we can change to something new if the need arises - because I think both Lowton & Bacuna could play a simliar role on the right - but for me we've signed a leftback. Simple as that.

It's possible we don't use left midfielders because we didn't have any.

Albrighton gets games on the right so Lambert is not against playing a wide midfielder.

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar Clark Bertrand

El Ahmadi Westwood Delph

Benteke Agbonlahor

OR Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Albrighton Westwood Delph Bertrand

Benteke Agbonlahor

i dont think he'll be a solid LB, more an attacking LB or LM who can help Luna out, if he's short term i think he's here to aid the current LB's not stick them in reserves

You missed

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Bertrand

Bacuna Westwood Delph

Albrighton (or Weimann form permitting)  Benteke Gabby (My favourite particularly for home games)

Guzan

Bacuna Vlaar Clark Bertrand

Westwood             Delph

Playmaker?

Albrighton (or weimann) Gabby

Benteke

Point is really he gives us options, we are finally able to play two genuinely quick fullbacks in Bertrand and Bacuna, which is essential if you intend to have them attack as well as defend. Lambert is flexible in formations and how he uses players.  Flexible players with be used flexibly.  Like Bacuna who has played RB, WB, CM, and RM for us in half a seasons worth of games.

Also guys remember Lambert prefers to attack, problem is currently he doesn't have the creative talent in the squad to play that way.  If we get a no 10 then we will see some attacking football.

It's possible we don't use left midfielders because we didn't have any.

Albrighton gets games on the right so Lambert is not against playing a wide midfielder.

I still don't buy it. Lambert has had 3 previous transfer windows and never once even tried to buy a left sided midfielder. Albrighton was already on the books when he got here. While it's possible in the literal sense, it would be out of character.

We don't use left midfielders.  Delph, Westwood, Sylla, KEA are all central.  We don't really use left wingers.  Gabby's a modified striker and even at that I don't think his place is under threat.  So Bertrand is either here to replace an underperforming leftback or we've decided to change our system to accommodate a new type of player & position.  I think the former is much more likely.  It helps our flexibility that we can change to something new if the need arises - because I think both Lowton & Bacuna could play a simliar role on the right - but for me we've signed a leftback.  Simple as that.

Delph can play left midfield though! Also Tonev has been used primarily as a left winger, and Gabby started the season on the left wing.  The only natural winger in the squad is Albrighton and I would love to see him putting in crosses for Benteke with Gabby following up on the back stick. Give use Weimann as an impact player for when Albrighton tires at the 60 - 70 minute mark until he finds some form.

Good player but don't think he'll ever be quiet good enough for Chelsea's first team IMO. So hopefully we'll be able to sign him permanently (making the more than likely presumption he'll play better than any left back we've currently got).

Â