Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

BOF

This is an excellent read on a Pool forum. http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=311343.0

Unlike most teams in the Premiership, Aston Villa don't have a default formation. The team started off with the 4-3-3 formation that they ended last season with but moved to a 3-5-2 system for certain games including the two 3-2 victories against Man City and Southampton and started this way against Arsenal. Lately though, the shape has been more 4-4-2 and Villa reverted to this shape against Arsenal when Baker went off injured. However, its only in the last 3 games that Lambert could pair Benteke & Agbonlahor together in this formation due to the Belgian missing 3 games through injury and Agbonlahor serving a 1 game ban. The graphic below shows the average pitch position of the team in the 2 games prior to the Arsenal match in this 4-4-2 shape.

VillaAveragePitchPosition.PNG

Aston Villa's style of play

"....there’s more to us than just counter-attacking. We can play. Give us time and then we’ll certainly play"

• Like 3

That is a really good read and shows how one can be analytical, insightful ,and interesting, without bitching, moaning and carping.

In a way it perfectly encapsualtes the views of both the pro and anti PL camps.  It also gives lie to PL being an idiot - the tactics are clearly thought out and well drilled - whether you like them or not.

Seems more and more obvious to me that PL is very happy with our away results over the last 14 months - and therefore happy with the system - given what we have at our disposal, and has obviously made a concious effort to utilise it at home in an attempt to get similar results  - I know it is only opinion but I think he has calculated a way to make us sfae first and then if that happens he will allow the players a more expansive approach.  You may not agree with it but I think it is a deliberate and considered strategy.

• Like 2

Well Baker is out so we won't be going the 3 CB route, I reckon 4-4-2.

Goose

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Westwood Delph Bertrand

Gabby Benteke

Or 

Goose

Lowton Vlaar Clark Bertrand

Bacuna Westwood Delph Gabby

Holt Benteke

Thats pretty much exactly what I mean when I say 'Lambert is shit'.

No but seriously it is fairly obvious how we defend and I dont have as much a problem with that, its how we attack that is the issue for me and the lack of movement.

You gotta have a lot of time on your hands to do that. It can be summed up pretty quickly. Villa defend in number, they play deep and narrow and look to hoof and rush.

Livescore has the Villa team as:

Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Luna, Bacuna, Westwood, El ahmadi, Delph, Benteke, Holt

???

Not sure if reliable