Grant Holt

samjp26

He'll probably do a Heskey/Zat Knight, and get one on his debut, which will fool people into thinking it's a great piece of business, before being utterly shite for the rest of the season.

The club made money on Zat Knight

Pound for pound he was probably O'Neill's most (only?) astute signing.

What, other than Ashley Young, Stuart Downing and James Milner, who we not only nearly doubled our money on, but who were also great players while they were here. Seeing as the business we're in is to win football matches, getting our money back for Zat Knight doesn't make him a good signing.*

*I'd have him in the team now though!

Over who? Vlaar or Clark?

Guzan has done an interview and says the decision to bring him in by Lambert was a no brainer. I guess guzan knows **** all as well then?

Interviewer: "Brad, what do you think about Villa signing Holt?"

BG: "Shit awful."

Interviewer: "Oh ok, wasn't expecting that, I thought you'd say something good like it was a no brainer. Never mind, erm do you know how many long balls you play?"

• Like 3

He'll probably do a Heskey/Zat Knight, and get one on his debut, which will fool people into thinking it's a great piece of business, before being utterly shite for the rest of the season.

The club made money on Zat Knight

Pound for pound he was probably O'Neill's most (only?) astute signing.

What, other than Ashley Young, Stuart Downing and James Milner, who we not only nearly doubled our money on, but who were also great players while they were here.  Seeing as the business we're in is to win football matches, getting our money back for Zat Knight doesn't make him a good signing.*

Young maybe.

Milner was a Villa player when he arrived and was let slip at £5m, only to be picked up for £12m a year later.

Downing was a car crash signing, rescued by a combination of the stupidity of Dalglish and the astute business sense of Faulkner.

Milner was a Villa player when he arrived and was let slip at £5m, only to be picked up for £12m a year later.

When who arrived? MON tried to buy him iirc and Newcastle pulled the plug because they couldn’t buy Mark Viduka. Don’t think you can blame MON for Freddie Shepherd, or can we??

When who arrived? MON tried to buy him iirc and Newcastle pulled the plug because they couldn’t buy Mark Viduka. Don’t think you can blame MON for Freddie Shepherd, or can we??

Yep, we were going to sign him on deadline day, he was on his way when Newcastle pulled out.

Yep, we were going to sign him on deadline day, he was on his way when Newcastle pulled out.

So he was 'let slip'

Anyway, this Grant Holt feller.

Welcome to the Villa Grant. I hope your stay is littered with a few decent performances and a few goals. You will be wearing the glorious claret and blue, so I am with you all the way.

Can't exactly say I'm 'happy' about this signing. He does look out of shape to me, I'll say that rather than insult him and say he's fat. I'm not gona make a big fuss about it thought as I'm confident he won't be in Lambert's preferred XI and am crossing my fingers there are better things to come this month (though this obviously relies on Lerner more than Lambert).

• Like 1

So he was 'let slip'

Yes Villa let him slip away. Just like we let Bergkamp slip away...

So he was 'let slip'

Anyway, this Grant Holt feller.

Welcome to the Villa Grant. I hope your stay is littered with a few decent performances and a few goals. You will be wearing the glorious claret and blue, so I am with you all the way.

I'm not sure what else we could of done, other than kidknapp him.

Anyway back to grant...

It will be no surprise to me that when Holt does play, finds himself in the right position at the right time and scores a tap in which even the ordinary layman on the street might score, his signing will be vindicated and deemed a master stroke by Lambert.

Or when benteke scores a hat trick and its because of what holt taught him.

No. When Benteke scores a hat trick, we rightfully give Lambert the credit for finding a quality player. Just as we bash him regarding transfers when Joe Bennett or Anthony Luna have a stinker.

Okay, I joined in the general jollity when Holt signed, but I can see why Lambert has signed him. Not that I agree with it though, but if he's a success then all the better for us I suppose.

One question though, how would we have reacted if say Blose or Albion had signed him?

Edited by turnbull

Not sure what to expect....seems worrying if he is out of shape.

However just taking up the right positions that forwards do might be novel.

Ps I guess desperate situations require desperate measures, just waiting for the fire fighting to stop and structured construction begins.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Having a day to think over it, he might do okay for us as a impact sub. Got some experience, likes to work with Lambert. I hope he might fire the rest of the boys up. But it does show the crippling lack of spending power we have that we are happy to bring in a 30 something championship bench warmer as a major signing.

Having a day to think over it, he might do okay for us as a impact sub. Got some experience, likes to work with Lambert. I hope he might fire the rest of the boys up. But it does show the crippling lack of spending power we have that we are happy to bring in a 30 something championship bench warmer as a major signing.

I don't think he is a major signing though.

Â