Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

Also, improved that we have the same amount of clean sheets as last year already.

I agree it's improved (but we haven't played the likes of Man Citeh away, Man Utd away yet....). But it's still the worst defence in the Premier League talent wise - and that's where Lambert deserves a bit of praise as they are at least organised better. Just a shame about his purchases, style of play and results, really :)

Not really sure where you got that from. It's not great but there's no way Vlaar, Okore, Clark and Baker is the worst set of CBs in the league.

I can understand that working under this regime is not easy at the moment, and that we have a few injuries too.

But NOTHING can explain how we are only capable of getting 23&27% possession against Southampton and Swansea respectively. It is simply unforgivable.

so you would give the 4 points we got from those games back?

However, I do agree there is a difference between giving up possession as a tactic and giving up possession because you're not very good at passing.

all too often we give up possession for the latter reason. we can't string 5 passes together because someone in that chain will either miscontrol the ball, refuse to play the simple pass, get impatient and shoot from no reasonable long-shot opportunity or type 2 hoof it.

Also, improved that we have the same amount of clean sheets as last year already.

I agree it's improved (but we haven't played the likes of Man Citeh away, Man Utd away yet....). But it's still the worst defence in the Premier League talent wise - and that's where Lambert deserves a bit of praise as they are at least organised better. Just a shame about his purchases, style of play and results, really :)

I don't for one minute think our defence is acceptable, but on what basis are they the worst in the premier league?

Is that just opinion or do you have anything to back it up?

Just look at all the teams below us. They all have conceded more goals which ultimately is the main performance measure for any defence - which considering our poor possession and the injuries to Okore and Vlaar is something. I would like another CB but if money is limited, midfield is where I would invest.

It is clear that our main problems are primarily midfield and attack.

• Like 3

Our main problem is our squad is almost universally shite. It's not any one area of the team, almost none of it is upto task in defence, midfield or attack.

Edited by Chindie

I don't for one minute think our defence is acceptable, but on what basis are they the worst in the premier league?

Is that just opinion or do you have anything to back it up?

Just look at all the teams below us. They all have conceded more goals which ultimately is the main performance measure for any defence - which considering our poor possession and the injuries to Okore and Vlaar is something. I would like another CB but if money is limited, midfield is where I would invest.

It is clear that our main problems are primarily midfield and attack.

I don't think Clark or Baker would get in any other side in the Premier League. They are both beyond useless. It's an opinion I had in the summer when everyone on here was praising Baker and complaining about Clark, and it's an opinion I still have now everyone is criticising Baker and praising Clark.

Our main problem is our squad is almost universally shite. It's not any one area of the team, almost none of it is upto task in defence, midfield or attack.

Very true.

Edited by Pilchard

A defence that is much improved is worse than a midfield that can't get hold of the ball and a strike force that doesn't score?

Weird logic also that you think our defence is the worst part of the team because our 4th and 5th choice CB's are starting. What are we meant to do? Buy 2 more CB's in case of injuries? Really bizarre logic.

Improved in that they haven't broken the clubs record defeat in the Premier League this season...Baker and Clark are both rotten...Okore - who knows? I'm not advocating signing a defender in case of injuries - I'm suggesting signing a decent defender to play alongside Vlaar, who can step up to be the senior player when one of the chuckle brothers has to come in when Vlaar picks up another injury.

Why not apply the same logic - the same strike force that scored lots last season, and currently has Benteke out. Perhaps we don't need to sign anyone? If we played the ball on the ground and actually tried to play football I think we'd find goal scoring a lot more easier.

But you didn't say that. You said the defence was the worst part of the team because of Baker and Herd starting. Who happen to be our 4th and 5th choice CB's. Even Clark (who you're completely irrational about) is only 3rd choice. Any team in the PL would be shit at the back with their 4th and 5th choice CB's starting.

As for applying the same logic, I'd say the midfield is our worst area and it hasn't had prolonged injury problems.

Wouldn't say that City, Utd and Liverpool have played well this season with their 4th and at times 5th choice centre-backs.

The midfield and lack of experience at the back is the problem atm, the midfield in any game are normally the instigators in victories in the majority of matches.

Edited by Avflife

Vlaar is the key to our defence and Benteke to our attack. I agree the midfield isn't good enough.

Possibly 3 players in then this window.  Better news I guess, can see Wes Hoolahan coming and maybe Lescott if he's available on loan.

P.S. I read the first page of this thread and then skipped 10 in between as I assume it's the usual suspects bickering.  Far too many pages in a short space of time to be positivity!

• Like 1

thought for the day

If people believe that HH is a true ITK, and therefore a conduit to decent inside information, why do one or two think it is clever to guess who it is and 'out' him/her?

If HH is comfortable sharing some insight from behind a veil of anonymity, is it not better to respect his/her wishes?

I was just about to post this, word for word. I'd actually appreciate it if the user in question edited his post.

I understand people more interested in the team getting better right now but can I ask what you think of the points I've made for where the club were when he took over and the things that had to be done?

It was always going to be a long job, most accepted that to start but couldn't be patient in reality. I can see that we are just a couple of players away from being decent, and i hope Lambert gets the chance to finish the job!

I understand people more interested in the team getting better right now but can I ask what you think of the points I've made for where the club were when he took over and the things that had to be done?

It was always going to be a long job, most accepted that to start but couldn't be patient in reality. I can see that we are just a couple of players away from being decent, and i hope Lambert gets the chance to finish the job!
I agree with this post I think lambert should be given abit of time like

If the number 10 is 'from the Premiership, a permanent signing and someone with moderate experience at this level' it won't be De Bruyne, Ince, Holtby or my personal first thought Snodgrass, still think it might be Pilkington. The other two signings must be either a winger or centre back. 

Good thread. HH has posted what we suspected/knew with a pro Lambert slant. Thats fair enough- Im pro Lambert as well even though it seems some of his signings have not worked out (imo Luna, Tonev especially) and the football at the minute is dire.

When the fixtures came out and I looked at the Xmas games I thought we had a great chance of putting a run together and being comfortably mid table starting 2014. As luck would have it we went in missing two of our best players and in the worst form of the season at the worst possible time and so instead of seeing one bad game a week we have seen 3. Games where the team have developed hoofitis and a total reluctance to want to pass to one another.

Still I am sure he can turn it around especially if benteke finds form, and we strengthen midfield. On that note De Bruyne makes sense to me- exciting, and Chelsea loan him to a team that will get him prem experience and a team that has already shown that they can take points off their title rivals while at the same time being no threat to their own position. Works for both of us if we can find the money.

You have to hand it to them.

They know exactly how to play sections of the support to take the mind off other, perhaps more important matters.

I wonder how long it'll be until that Incognito fella returns on Twitter.....

I suppose they could do nothing but change the colours of Aston Villa and be a laughing stock in the media?

The media? - the ones that surprisingly give PL a easy ride? the ones that don't always get all of the info they would like from RL? next you will be telling me that certain media members post on forums like VT next ..........................
Im a member of the media and I post on VT
I'm an actor of sorts. Does that count?

Yup! We need to start a VT "we're in the media so we're better than you" club. Because we're important

• Like 1

thought for the day

If people believe that HH is a true ITK, and therefore a conduit to decent inside information, why do one or two think it is clever to guess who it is and 'out' him/her?

If HH is comfortable sharing some insight from behind a veil of anonymity, is it not better to respect his/her wishes?

Absolutely. I've made a few "definitely Lambert" parts about hh in the past, but obviously it's not. I'd not go guessing outside that in terms of specific names though. It's someone who gives us into, let's be happy with that and let him do his thing without us getting him fired