Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

thought for the day

If people believe that HH is a true ITK, and therefore a conduit to decent inside information, why do one or two think it is clever to guess who it is and 'out' him/her?

If HH is comfortable sharing some insight from behind a veil of anonymity, is it not better to respect his/her wishes?

Says the man who outed OSGS move :)

Do you really think the club don't know who this is?

thought for the day

If people believe that HH is a true ITK, and therefore a conduit to decent inside information, why do one or two think it is clever to guess who it is and 'out' him/her?

If HH is comfortable sharing some insight from behind a veil of anonymity, is it not better to respect his/her wishes?

Why do you think that's so unbelievable? I'd say it's 50/50 as to whether the club knows or not. Why did he arrive at the same time as lambo and why is he happy enough to be negative about the owner and aspects of the club? Not exactly toeing the company line...

I just can't see Lambert lasting beyond the end of January if results and performances carry on like this. To go potentially 10 games without a win with perhaps 8 or 9 defeats in that run - it would be a travesty if he was able to survive that.

I just get the feeling his poor management has rubbed off on the players and we have become a self-fulfilling prophecy with him remaining in charge. I don't think there is a grand plan either, or if there was, it hit the skids a while back. If there is money to spend now, I'd rather that was spent by someone who hadn't signed so much utter dross.

So when you boil this down, the proposition is we get an experienced but average premier league midfield who can't command a big fee or salary; a loan of a bigger name which "might just happen" and a defender who might be signed this window or in a later one. Also Benteke and Vlaar to return to the side.

The two questions that arise in my mind are

(a) is this going to be enough to keep us up this season? We currently have 20 points from our first half season programme and we probably need at least 18 from the next 19 even to have a prayer, but that would undoubtedly involve looking nervously at the relegation zone all season.

(b ) how does this feed into the long term "project" we keep hearing about? A loan won't feed into any long term development. And experienced players who are not high value market buys will only really help if they can also bring coaching and mentoring skills to help the younger players. So we wait to see.

I question the premise of the OP that part of the job has been done and we now only need 2-3 players each window. The squad I see still has big gaps that need to be filled or improved upon for quality.

Part of the problem is that we have never really been told what the project is, how long it's for and what the milestones and performance indicators are. A real project would have all these features clearly set out. As far as I can see, this one doesn't, so forgive me for concluding it has an element of PR.

I can't help wondering at present how the team would be performing if we had someone like Tony Pulis managing us. The immediate effect he has had on a weak and chaotic Palace squad is remarkable. He knows how to organise a defence in a way that I fear our manager never will. I watched the way the Palace defence played against Man C yesterday - so disciplined and organised - and I felt a bit jealous.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

thought for the day

No idea whether the club knows or not, and I don't really care.

HH wants to remain anonymous, so i respect that, just as I try to respect all contributors on VT.

OGS I should have kept to myself. He would have come, and I would have been several thousand quid better off. Trust me, it will never happen again!

I suppose that HH wouldn't say that Lambert is after a loaned fan pleaser and then the player turned out to be someone from a lower Premier League side. I'm guessing it's going to be someone decent who won't cost an arm and a leg in wages but still good enough to make the fans take note. Therefore, I'm thinking the likes of Holtby and De Bruyne are not too far off what we're trying for. Isn't De Bruyne a good friend of Benteke? Wouldn't surprise me if it's him that we want.

As for the permanent deal, I'm thinking that nobody would want to leave any of the top eight to come to us. I'm thinking either Wes Hoolahan - played a starring role for Lambert previously but not used much by Norwich this season - or Sone Aluko - out of contract in July and turned down a contract extension with Hull already. He'd be relatively cheap as they'd want to get something for him before risking him going for free. Also, wages shouldn't be too high. Out injured at the moment but due back in February.

• Like 1

I suppose that HH wouldn't say that Lambert is after a loaned fan pleaser and then the player turned out to be someone from a lower Premier League side. I'm guessing it's going to be someone decent who won't cost an arm and a leg in wages but still good enough to make the fans take note. Therefore, I'm thinking the likes of Holtby and De Bruyne are not too far off what we're trying for. Isn't De Bruyne a good friend of Benteke? Wouldn't surprise me if it's him that we want.

As for the permanent deal, I'm thinking that nobody would want to leave any of the top eight to come to us. I'm thinking either Wes Hoolahan - played a starring role for Lambert previously but not used much by Norwich this season - or Sone Aluko - out of contract in July and turned down a contract extension with Hull already. He'd be relatively cheap as they'd want to get something for him before risking him going for free. Also, wages shouldn't be too high. Out injured at the moment but due back in February.

Aluko is a Blues Youth Reject and isn't that good at all anyway... big, massive no thanks to that

HH I am a big PL fan.  I actually hope you aren't too close to him !! -  because I would hate to think that he now thinks he chopped too much too quickly, and I would hate to think he was particularly concerned about experienced players  - as in each case I thought the speed, and the change to having players who had only ever played Prem football for Villa was deliberate (and in my view radical,visionary, and correct. You can't evolve change at a Football Club, moving only a small selection would have meant too many things continued.).

In my view he needs plenty of time.  It was clear last year that inexperience was costing points, particularly in defence, and that has clearly been improved, for example. 

the one thing I DO struggle with though is this business of our apparent abandonment of trying to play a bit of football.

Now, bear in mind I am a big fan of his, and I am NOT a big fan of Mowbary or Martinez 'relegation possession' football.  I am happy with some long ball stuff, and some counter attacking stuff, and all the rest.  I also agree largely with the Manager that possession is largely an irrelevance.

BUT - even I am finding the last few games hard to take in terms of how ready we are to gift the ball away.  So GOD KNOWS what those who do want possession, or who DONT want PL must feel !!!!!!

It doesn't make sense to blame it on injury or confidence........it started when we were doing reasonably well  - in fact we had been doing reasonably well  all season and the back end of last season  - (despite what some on here said).  In addition we had a reasonable 11 out there for most the games (I dont think our players are as bad as some - Westwood can passs, KEA and FD can pass, etc).

SO, particularly as I am sure there would be more support for PL if this was addressed, can you shed any more specific light on why we no longer seem to want to keep the ball ?  For instance Guzan was told, when PL first came, to roll out to his defenders.  Now he always boots it. Is this a direct instruction because players have been caught on the ball too often ?  And so on.

• Like 2