Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

------------------Guzan------------------

Lowton----Clark----Baker-----Luna

-------------Herd-----Westwood--------------

------------------KEA----------------

Allbrigthon/Tonev------------Agbonlahor/Tonev

--------------Benteke------------------

From the sounds of it - Vlaar and Kozak won't make it and Delph is out with a one match ban

I'd go for:

....................Guzan

......Lowton.Clark.Baker.Luna

Bacuna.KEA.Herd.Westwood.Gabby

...................Benteke

A simple 4-5-1 that can switch to 4-3-3 when on the counter attack.

• Like 1

Would be just like us to put in a good performance here. I don't think we'll win or even draw but we're an inconsistent team.

Inconsistant? Our victories this season is based on luck. Have we even played a good game since April - May ? One decent half against West Brom thats about it. We have been consistantly poor imo. Lambert needs to sort out his tactics.

Arsenal beginning of the season? Don't jump on the hate bandwagon for no reason

Think we should play Sylla, incredible that we've only lost 3 out his 16 appearances and they were to Liverpool, Spuds and Chelsea.

Bring some steel back into the midfield Lambo.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

We have always had a mentality issue when it comes to this fixture. Even if we go a couple of goals up and make them look ordinary (which they largely are these days), we will always then somehow throw it away (see last season and the game under Houllier). In my lifetime, these are the only times i remember us winning:

1-0 at OT, under MON, very happy drunk fan that day

3-1 at VP opening day 95, 8 years old again very happy

3-1 at Wembley 94 Coca Cola Cup Final, again very young and happy even though it was very noticeable they had Schmeichel out and Les Sealy in goal but who cares, Saunders and Atkinson were lethal!

And thats about it! 3 times and a whole lot of suffering inbetween. Its always been a fixture we can write off, we've had a few draws which is always a good result, but this year they are definitely there for the taking, but like a few have already pointed out which game will they turn up for guaranteed? Yes the game at Villa Park. Cant see us winning, no Delph or Vlaar lessens our chances emphatically imo.

0-3 Shrek & RVP will have a field day against our backline.

Hopefully we can upset the odds ala Saints, Arsenal, the other Mancs

Gabby, Weimann and Benteke doesn't work up front. We seem to be disorganised that way, because Weimann isn't a natural winger.

--------------Guzan--------------

Lowton------Vlaar---Baker---Luna

-------Sylla--Westwood--KEA(Delph if not suspended)

Albrighton----------------------Gabby

--------------Benteke------------------------

Every rational bone in my body says defeat. And yet it's at times like these that Villa confound the critics. It's akin to the Citeh game so I'm not making any predictions :)

Rooney has been our nemesis on too many occasions now and he will need some special attention if we are to get anything out of the game therefore it will be interesting to see how we set up against them?

If Rooney is given the same time and room to play as Berbatov was then we are doomed to yet another heavy defeat. However if Lambert makes special provisions to nullify Rooney then we just might get something from the game.

For me this is a big test for Lambert. 

Rather have had Vlaar and Delph available, but hopefully Sylla can be used to provide the grunt just in front of the fragile defence. Kozak would have been my preffered starter, but we just have to hope that Lambo has given Benteke a well-deserved kick up the backside.

Hate the fact we're on the dreaded SKY again, but we have to break that particular hoodoo one of these fine days.....law of averages say's so. But, unfortunately, i can see all the headlines being about RVPs astonishing return to the fray and the about turn in uniteds season, rather than a Villa win. Love to see us turn them over in convincing style, but it ain't gonna happen....no way, no how.

But...in Lambert we trust.

Gabby, Weimann and Benteke doesn't work up front. We seem to be disorganised that way, because Weimann isn't a natural winger.

--------------Guzan--------------

Lowton------Vlaar---Baker---Luna

-------Sylla--Westwood--KEA(Delph if not suspended)

Albrighton----------------------Gabby

--------------Benteke------------------------

Neither is Gabby and lately neither of them have been occupying wide positions which is really hurting us. When we break the only obvious ball is long to Benteke because we don’t have options breaking on the wings.

Ideally Lambert will point this out and tell them to take up the wide positions and track the full backs. Alternatively Albrighton should be given a chance.

Just curious why would you drop Clark?

Not sure about Vlaar, my guess is that we'll find out tomorrow probably.

I think we'll be playing Kozak up top with Benteke, if we do then I hope we play Albrighton on the right wing or Bacuna with Gabby on the left. Whip them balls in, between them both I reckon Kozak and Tekkers can crush United's CBs.

Edited by samjp26

I really hope we don't go 4-3-3

Agree, it should be abandoned at home immediately.

If Luna is fit, I have an inkling we will go to three at the back for this one (sorry Kwan), especially after the horror-show at Fulham.

I really hope we don't go 4-3-3

Agree, it should be abandoned at home immediately.

If Luna is fit, I have an inkling we will go to three at the back for this one (sorry Kwan), especially after the horror-show at Fulham.

So Clark, baker and Herd at the back. Lowton and Luna as wing backs. That makes good sense!

Edited by PaulC

I'd go 4-5-1

Goose

Lowton Baker Clark Luna

Bacuna Westwood Sylla KEA Gabby

Benteke

Pack out the midfield and try crossing the ball in to break them down, we don't seem to be able to do it any other way.

I'm sure we will go with our narrow 4-3-3 though.