Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

Seemed funny watching that city v arsenal game today,with all the superlatives associated with it.

....to think we have beaten both of them this season.

We need to shake ourselves out of this mental slumberland with Utd....folk are often saying we show effort, we want to show some mental effort, like we did at Southampton.

IF we think we can we can.....If we think we can't we certainly can't.

RVP being out is certainly a plus given we have no Vlaar. I personally want to see:

Guzan

Lowton Clark Baker Luna

Herd

Westwood KEA

Weimann Gabby

Benteke

I think you're close with that, but I see

Guzan

Lowton Clark          Baker  Luna

Herd

Westwood KEA

Bacuna                           Gabby

Benteke

HH is never wrong so i think more like

Guzan

Herd            Clark           Baker

Lowton     KEA   Westwood   Sylla            Luna

Benteke        Agbonlahor

If HairyHands is in the vicinity...

If Westwood must persist with set piece deliveries, is there any chance of the ball being whipped into the box with pace, rather than simply floated in to obscurity?

A disproportionate amount of corners and free kicks (when not going straight for goal) have amounted to nothing, yet the execution remains the same.

• Like 1

If Westwood must persist with set piece deliveries, is there any chance of the ball being whipped into the box with pace, rather than simply floated in to obscurity?

A disproportionate amount of corners and free kicks (when not going straight for goal) have amounted to nothing, yet the execution remains the same.

Westwood isn't persisting with it hes told to float them in by Lambert and following orders. We have very tall players in Benteke, Kozak and Baker so if we float it and they have a run and jump they will get there. 

For me we should play:

____________________Guzan___________________

___________Herd_____Clarke___Baker____________

__Lowton____________________________Luna_____

_________KEA______Westwood_____Albrighton_____

____________Gabby____________________________

___________________Benteke____________________

Westwood isn't persisting with it hes told to float them in by Lambert and following orders. We have very tall players in Benteke, Kozak and Baker so if we float it and they have a run and jump they will get there. 

Oh I'm sure it's not Westwood acting on his own behalf.  I'm just stating that nearly all our deliveries are like this and it has proven to be ineffective thus far.

I'm also sure the opposition are aware a floated ball will be coming in so can plan around this, so maybe mixing it up with some balls whipped in with pace may be in order.

Lambert likes going gung ho against the big teams, remember last year when we went to Old Trafford and played our usual front three + N'zogbia.

Saw one paper previewing this game predicting we were going to play the three strikers plus Tonev as one of the 3 midfielders! I don't see that at all although Lambert did play this against Everton at home which was one of our better home performances this season even if it was a loss.

Playing this mob is as much psychological as it is ability. Have they got a better first 11 than Man. City or Arsenal who we've both beaten this season? No. But of course them never losing at Villa park and some of the ridiculous comebacks they've had in recent years messes with the mind a little bit.

Interesting news from HH, can't say it sounds promising but without knowledge of the injuries I'd like to see Lowton in at RB with Luna at LB. I'd like to see Bacuna retained but as far away from rb as possible. I wouldn't have an issue with him playing right midfield and Sylla left midfield to really squeeze the game although sounds like Albrighton has been earmarked for the right.

Front two should be Gabby and Benteke, just tell them to run at Ferdinand.