Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

So you actually think that the gameplan was to let Soton have the ball 78 % of the time? Was it the plan that Soton had 21 shots overall and we 6? And most important, was it the gameplan that we were going to score 3 out of 3 shots on target, while Soton scored 2 with 9? That game was a robbery and we all know it, of course it was good for us, but on tne other hand a real warning sign.

Yes pretty much. It was quite obvious that the plan was to let Saints have the ball and defend in numbers, then try to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. By association this means they would have a lot more possession than us and in turn more shots (albeit from greater range). HH said before the game that we would play that way, we did play that way, and we won. Something not many other clubs have done at St Mary's recently.

So all evidence says that the plan worked perfectly. We didn't pass it around much and kicked it long a lot. Football that wasn't especially pleasing to the eye but that was still effective. You seem unable to accept the fact that eye-candy football doesn't equal results, and that the only stat that matters is who gets the points.

I think you fail to realise that if the game was played 10 times we would have lost 9 out of 10. People on Vt are so stucked in "results" and fail to see behind the results. The match on Saturday gave us a reality check based on where we are at the moment.

But we didn't lose - we won. We were never going to be able to go to St Mary's and outplay them.

With that attitude coupled with negative tactics and with a continuing change of formations and tactics, with no stability and no clear philosophy, we're never going to grow as club. Is that what you want?
were aston villa we'll grow when we want

Don't like this if Vlaar is out. I'm assuming Luna will come back as he's said on twitter he should be back if everything goes well. Suffocate the midfield, cover the wings and stop hoofing it up to Benteke are my only hopes.

4-5-1

Guzan

Lowton Clark Baker Luna

Bacuna KEA Westwood Delph Gabby

Benteke

Bacuna and Gabby have to do their jobs and cover the overlaps and then keep their width going forward so it's not too congested over the middle. Benteke has to hold up the ball well and bring the midfielders into play who try to release it wide. Not pretty but the best I think we can do.

No doubt we'll see some asinine 5-3-2 again though.

But... what do we do if we don't hoof it up to Benteke?

Hopefully pass the ball. Move. Then pass it again.

Delph is a massive loss

I agree, maybe we can give Bacuna a chance in his 'proper' position though.

so he can play loose sideways passes and put us instantly under pressure?

Yep if Bacuna is replaced by Lowton then I wouldn't pick him in a more attacking role. His distribution has been found a little wanting at this level. Maybe a little spell out of the team or on the bench is best for now! We have better options for that attacking role! Tonev, Allbrighton or Weimann.

With that attitude coupled with negative tactics and with a continuing change of formations and tactics, with no stability and no clear philosophy, we're never going to grow as club. Is that what you want?

Yes, that's exactly what I want.

I don't know what you mean about no stability though, and there has been progress this seaosn with regards to results.

Not overly struck on tonev although I will admit he needs time.albrighton will give you the odd good game but that's it and as for weimann he is well off the pace

I think Tonev will come good so I'd probably throw him in against united.. I agree about Weimann but he's a good impact player off the bench. Just dont think Bacuna will give us much in that role. I could be wrong though!

Not likely to win any possession battle, better to get point(s) anyway. This would result in a huge uproar on here, but its the most likely to get point(s) and that's the only thing that really matters. So...

5-4-1 (depending on who's fit.)

Guzan

Lowton, vlaar/clark/herd, clark/baker, baker/Luna

albrighton, westwood, kea, tonev

Gabby (maybe kozak?)

Frutrate united early, and we could walk away with something. Their belief is slipping badly.

I think Bacuna is the stronger, faster, and more physical defender.

But Lowton is no scrub. He was near the top of the league in interceptions last year and is more intelligent going forward and picking a pass.

Edited by Kwan

I also have not been impressed with bacuna. Infact he's been terrible at times. Its great what a couple of free kicks can do to lift a players profile. He's one of those players that has potential to be a good player though. But he's been overrated this season. To be honest I aint got a clue who to start in attack. Both teams will concede

Don't like this if Vlaar is out. I'm assuming Luna will come back as he's said on twitter he should be back if everything goes well. Suffocate the midfield, cover the wings and stop hoofing it up to Benteke are my only hopes.

4-5-1

Guzan

Lowton Clark Baker Luna

Bacuna KEA Westwood Delph Gabby

Benteke

Bacuna and Gabby have to do their jobs and cover the overlaps and then keep their width going forward so it's not too congested over the middle. Benteke has to hold up the ball well and bring the midfielders into play who try to release it wide. Not pretty but the best I think we can do.

No doubt we'll see some asinine 5-3-2 again though.

But... what do we do if we don't hoof it up to Benteke?

Hopefully pass the ball. Move. Then pass it again.

Oh, ok. It's just been awhile.;)