The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Too easy, no Googling required.

Reveal hidden contents

I got it immediately from the 4 letters thing and then the rest made sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

I can see why. Could have been clearer. 

EDIT: You still helped me spot an error, though. There are only THREE countries with this combo.

kudos to anyone that can name the other two without googling...i certainly couldn't

• 5 months later...

What am I...

Vine Fruits (22%) (Sultanas, Raisins), Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Sugar, Marzipan (11%) (Almonds, Sugar, Water), Butter (Cows' Milk) (7%), Glacé Cherries (7%) (Cherries, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Colour: Anthocyanins), Cows' Milk, Almonds (4.5%), Apricot Jam (Glucose Syrup, Apricot Puree, Sugar, Gelling Agent: Pectin) Acidity Regulators: Citric Acid, Trisodium Citrate; Flavouring, Colour: Mixed Carotenes; Preservative: Potassium Sorbate), Candied Citrus Peel (Orange Peel, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Lemon Peel, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid), Brandy (2.0%), Butteroil (Cows' Milk), Yeast, Sugar Dusting (Dextrose, Cornflour, Palm Oil), Pasteurised Free Range Egg Yolk, Humectant: Glycerine; Emulsifiers: Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids; Salt, Cassia, Nutmeg, Coriander, Acidity Regulator: Acetic Acid; Ginger, Fennel, Clove, Cardamom

Spoiler

I am a ... Sainsbury's Hand Decorated Fruit & Nut Stollen... If you said just Stollen then that's still the correct answer... I usually get one from Aldi at Christmas but I couldn't last year because of covid and the lockdown situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/06/2021 at 17:14, sidcow said:

I've just got a question right on eggheads.  I learned the answer from Ferris Bueller 😂😂😂

It’s kinda satisfying when a bit of info stays with you from an unlikely source. I remember watching “Who wants to be a millionaire” and the half a million question was “How many spikes are on the crown of the Statue of Liberty?”

Years earlier I caught an episode of Blue Peter where this was mentioned and for whatever reason it stuck. 

Seven, being the answer. Represents the seven seas/seven continents.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

This thread seemed the best place to put this - this is just a work of art.

Yes, I do the NYT crossword every day and they have cute tricks like this quite frequently.  Sometimes the theme involves embedding multiple letters or even entire words in some squares.   One recent one had a bunch of clues containing lower case L and the theme, revealed in the answer to one of the other clues, was something like "Crossing Your T's".  The key was that the L in all those clues should be interpreted as a T (crossed l = t).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

Did he appear to be normal to the rest of the general population?

She. I think. Mrs M and I were debating whether she was trans, but I don't think so. She just had a really odd demeanour, slouching and scowling - sort of like Harry Enfield's Kevin the Teenager. 

Have a look: 

Mastermind, 2021/22: Episode 22: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014bjg via @bbciplayer

Edited by mjmooney

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm absolutely abysmal at these, but I can happily report I was yelling IT'S CROCHET at him for a couple of minutes there.

I think I got two or three before Mark but mostly watch the channel to be reminded of the technique.

You need a better brain than mine to remember all the conventions, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Oscar Shindler is the only member of the Nazi Party who is...........

By the way - it's a historical fact. 

Portrayed by Liam Neeson. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Portrayed by Liam Neeson. 

Shining Through

...Ed and Linda travel to Switzerland, where he hands her over to master spy Konrad Friedrichs (John Gielgud), who takes her by train across the border into Germany, to Berlin, where he hides her in his house and introduces her to his niece, Margrete von Eberstein (Joely Richardson), a socialite also working as an Allied agent. Linda assumes the identity of Lina Albrecht, and is planted as a cook in the household of Horst Drescher, a social-climbing Nazi officer, before an important party he is throwing, but she arrives too late to prepare the food properly, causing the dinner to be a disaster, and Drescher angrily fires her. Walking dejectedly on the dark street, alone, after curfew, Linda chances to encounter a guest from the dinner, officer Franze-Otto Dietrich (Liam Neeson), who is charmed by her and mistakenly assumes she must already have had a security check

• Like 1

Â