The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

Your next puzzle:

In ******* you receive a postcard with a picture of a scantily clad symbol of liberty, and the writing on the back tells you to travel to the city with which the picture is associated, and that one of many travel options is to follow the lead of shallow medieval ships. Once you arrive in this city, you may choose from a wide variety of tourist attractions, such as a mysterious woman or the resting place of the man who gave name to a powerful desert. Your specific destination is another important symbol of liberty, a place associated with the country's day of celebration. Where are we going today? 

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Your next puzzle:

In ******* you receive a postcard with a picture of a scantily clad symbol of liberty, and the writing on the back tells you to travel to the city with which the picture is associated, and that one of many travel options is to follow the lead of shallow medieval ships. Once you arrive in this city, you may choose from a wide variety of tourist attractions, such as a mysterious woman or the resting place of the man who gave name to a powerful desert. Your specific destination is another important symbol of liberty, a place associated with the country's day of celebration. Where are we going today? 

The Bastille?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Thats way too hard for me. I got 4. 4 that I am definite of the answers to. The others, nothing. 

TBH, that was one of his easier ones. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

42 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Your next puzzle:

Spoiler

Also the name of shit pop band

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

here's this week's pub quiz

11 is a good one , cause i reckon 99% of people would go for

Spoiler

Ryan Giggs here , but any villa fans will know the correct answer

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Thats way too hard for me. I got 4. 4 that I am definite of the answers to. The others, nothing. 

I'd have thought that at least nos. 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 17, 20, 29, 31, 32, 34, 36, 38 and 39 are eminently do-able. 

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

11 is a good one , cause i reckon 99% of people would go for

Reveal hidden contents

Ryan Giggs here , but any villa fans will know the correct answer

I had no clue on that one. We thought it might be a goalkeeper. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd have thought that at least nos. 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 17, 20, 29, 31, 32, 34, 36, 38 and 39 are eminently do-able. 

The first I can answer without confirming by looking it up is 13. Thats possibly not a surprise to some as I don’t hold stats or results. 

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The first I can answer without confirming by looking it up is 13. Thats possibly not a surprise to some as I don’t hold stats or results. 

Q9? How many teams in the Premier League?  

I’m getting about 14 from that lot. Maybe a couple more if I’m in a pub and the drink has given me a moment of clarity/cockiness for one or two I’m not sure of.

Much more difficult than the quizzes I’ve taken part in. I think there would be quite a loud grumbling response if some of those questions were read out in the pubs near me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m getting about 14 from that lot. Maybe a couple more if I’m in a pub and the drink has given me a moment of clarity/cockiness for one or two I’m not sure of.

Much more difficult than the quizzes I’ve taken part in. I think there would be quite a loud grumbling response if some of those questions were read out in the pubs near me.

14 on your own is pretty good. With a team of 4 to 6 players, you'd probably double that. 

I think I'd have got about 20 on my own. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

14 on your own is pretty good. With a team of 4 to 6 players, you'd probably double that. 

I think I'd have got about 20 on my own. 

Thanks, although I don’t think I’ve ever been on a team who could answer the other 25 questions! 

Here are the ones I got (seems like 15 now I look at them) -

6 (educated guess)

8 through to 11

13 (I have no idea how I know that)

17, 18

31 (I just assumed correctly)

32 (educated guess)

34 (I know the title, but not much more)

38, 39

A number of these are me thinking “well, it must be that”, rather than me knowing for absolute certain.

Having googled it just, it turns out I also guessed number 35 correctly, but again I didn’t know it for certain so I’m not patting myself on the back too much there. I initially thought Hamlet but I don’t think he’s married so just thought of a play where the wife of the title character has a bit to do and say.

The rest of the questions, beyond me really. 

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Like I said, that was one of his easier ones. He has occasionally asked us punters if he should make it more accessible, but the response is always a resounding "no dumbing down!" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Like I said, that was one of his easier ones. He has occasionally asked us punters if he should make it more accessible, but the response is always a resounding "no dumbing down!" 

I don’t know how “professional” the quiz guy and the teams are by you, but it’s definitely a bit more slip shod by me.

I must have mentioned it previously but a quiz I was in once in one of my local pubs had the question “Who played the villain in ‘For a few dollars more’?”

Now I was the only one on my team who had seen the film, that one rested squarely on my shoulders, and I was thinking out loud “Well, Eastwood is in it, Lee Van Cleef is in it but he was the bad guy in ‘The good, the bad and the ugly’...what was the name of the other fella?”

I spent the rest of the quiz unfocused, trying to remember that it was Gian Maria Volente who played the murdering rapist bad guy...only for the quiz host to later go through the answers and claim that the Lee Van Cleef character (who was avenging his dear departed daughter) was indeed the true villain of the piece.

It’s been about ten years and I’m still unhappy about it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Haven't done this for a while, so here's this week's pub quiz. We came equal first with 33, but lost out on the part two tie break. Answers tomorrow. 

1. On May 10th 1291 Edward I forced the Scottish nobles to allow him to select the King of Scotland at Norham Castle a home of which bishop of Durham? 
A) Hugh Æthelwine  
B)Anthony Beck 
C)Thomas Creek 
D)William Ditch

2. Who sighted the Cayman Islands on May 10th 1503 and named them Las Tortugas after the sea turtles swimming there? A)Francisco de Almeida 
B)Vasco de Balboa 
C)Christopher Columbus 
D)Francis Drake

3. It was announced that Winston Churchill would lead a coalition government on May 10th 1940. Churchill was born in Blenheim Palace named after the Battle of Blenheim which took place in which century?  
A)16th 
B)17th 
C)18th 
D)19th 

4. On May 10th1967 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards appeared before magistrates where in West Sussex charged with drug offences? 
A)Arundel  
B)Billinghurst 
C)Chichester 
D)Ditchling

5. Which English county borders both East Sussex and West Sussex? 

6. Which 1985 Bond film had the Amberley Working Museum in West Sussex double for an abandoned silver mine in California? 

7. In the Summer of 1894 Oscar Wilde is believed to have written part of ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ in which West Sussex town, naming its protagonist after it? 

8. Which team from the largest inland town in West Sussex beat Leeds United of the Premier League in this season’s FA Cup on Jan 10th 2021? 

9. How many teams play in the Premier League? 

10. Who were the first Premier League Champions in the 1992-93 season? 

11. With 653 which player has made the most Premier League appearances? 

12. Who b.1971 has received the most straight red cards in the Premier League? 

13. Which artist b.1989 released an album and song entitled ‘Red’ in 2012? 

14. Which superhero wears a red cape emblazoned with the symbol of the House of El? 

15. What nationality was Piet Mondrian (1872-1944) who painted ‘Composition with Yellow, Blue and Red’ between 1937 and 1942? 

16. Which underground line was Orange on Harry Beck’s 1933 map and is now, since 1938, Red? 

17. What was the title, in the UK, of the first Harry Potter novel in 1997? 

18. Tom Dick and Harry are three tunnels in the film the Great Escape ordered by Squadron leader Roger Bartlett played by? 

19. Martin Beck was the booking agent for who - born Erik Weisz in Hungary in 1874 d.1926? 

20. Henry Charles Albert David b.1984 known as Prince Harry was made Duke of where in 2018? 

Part 1 tie break – What was the service number of Prince Harry when he served in the army from 2005-2015? 

21. On May 10th 1978 Italian politician Alda Moro was buried and which Interior Minister resigned only to become Prime Minister in 1979 and Italy’s 8th President 1985-92?   A)Giulio Andreotti 
B)Mario Baldassari 
C)Francesco Cossiga 
D)Carlo Dosser

22. Whose 371/2 inch 1881 sculpture ‘Danseresje of 14’ originally entitled ‘Petite danseuse de quatorze ans.’ sold in New York on this date in 1988 for $10,120,000?                         A)Anna Ancher 
B)Eugène Boudin 
C)Paul Cezanne 
D)Edgar Degas

23. Agnetha Falstog released a new album on May 10th2013 entitled what? 
A)’A’ 
B)’B’ 
C)’C’ 
D)’D’     

24. In 2017 on May 10th the USA authorities announced that which Glacier in Montana had receded 85% in 50 years? 
A)Adams 
B)Boulder 
C)Colder 
D)Diddy

25. Which is the only continent on Earth with currently no glaciers - its mount Kosciuszko had a small glacier 10,000 years ago during the last glacial ice age? 

26. In which country is the Perito Moreno Glacier in Los Glaciares National Park? 

27. The largest glacier in continental Europe is Jostedalsbreen with 487 square kilometres of ice up to 600 meters thick is in which country? 

28. Fires in the Amazon in 2010 caused a 4.5% increase in water runoff from the Zongo Glacier located 30km N.E. of La Paz in which country? 

29. The Amazon rainforest spreads across 9 countries – which country has 64% of it? 

30. Martin Strel in 2007 the first man to swim the entire length of the Amazon river was born 1954 in the town of Mokronog SR Slovenia one of the 6 federal republics which then formed which country? 

31. Who b.1964 as Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen founded Amazon in 1994? 

32. Water from the Amazon River flows into which ocean? 

33. Bubalus bubalis is commonly known as what water creature? 

34. The Rime of the Ancient _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by Samuel Taylor Coleridge includes the line, ‘Water, water everywhere, / Nor any drop to drink.’? 

35. In Act II scene 2 of which Shakespeare play does the wife of the eponymous character have the lines, ‘I hear a knocking / At the south entry; retire we to our chamber’/ A little water clears us of this deed;’? 

36. What type of anthropomorphic creature is Rango in the 2011 film who brings water to the town of Dirt in the Mojave desert? 

37. In ‘The Jungle Book’, a collection of stories by Rudyard Kipling, the anthropomorphic Mother Wolf, Raksha, names the man cub Mowgli which she says means what? 

38. The anthropomorphic Big Bad Wolf featured in the story Rotkäppuchen by which siblings Jacob and Wilheim? 

39. Which supermarket first used an anthropomorphic Carrot, later named Kevin, in their 2016 Christmas campaign?

40. ‘Bree’ is an anthropomorphic horse in whose 1954 novel ‘The Horse and His Boy’? 

Part 2 tie break - How many days did it take for Martin Strel to swim 3,274 miles of the Amazon? 

Spoiler
  1. B (guess)
  2. B (guess)
  3. C - 1704 I believe
  4. No idea
  5. Surrey?
  6. Not a clue
  7. Not a clue
  8. Crawley
  9. 20
  10. Man Utd
  11. Gareth Barry
  12. Duncan Ferguson?
  13. Not a clue
  14. Superman?
  15. Not a clue
  16. Central
  17. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone?
  18. Not a clue
  19. Not a clue
  20. Wessex
  21. A?
  22. C?
  23. A?
  24. B?
  25. Australia
  26. Argentina?
  27. Norway?
  28. Columbia?
  29. Brazil
  30. Yugoslavia
  31. Jeff Bezos
  32. Atlantic Ocean 
  33. Not a clue
  34. Mariner
  35. Not a clue
  36. Chameleon
  37. Hairless?
  38. Grimm
  39. Aldi
  40. CS Lewis

Tie Break questions - not a clue on either of them!

How did I do? I hope I got at least 17... 

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t know how “professional” the quiz guy and the teams are by you, but it’s definitely a bit more slip shod by me.

I must have mentioned it previously but a quiz I was in once in one of my local pubs had the question “Who played the villain in ‘For a few dollars more’?”

Now I was the only one on my team who had seen the film, that one rested squarely on my shoulders, and I was thinking out loud “Well, Eastwood is in it, Lee Van Cleef is in it but he was the bad guy in ‘The good, the bad and the ugly’...what was the name of the other fella?”

I spent the rest of the quiz unfocused, trying to remember that it was Gian Maria Volente who played the murdering rapist bad guy...only for the quiz host to later go through the answers and claim that the Lee Van Cleef character (who was avenging his dear departed daughter) was indeed the true villain of the piece.

I share your pain …. I went to a quiz where the quizmaster claimed Bryan Ferry wrote jealous guy …. I’m still contemplating legal action over the point our team was deprived of  :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I was once in quiz where I had a stand up shouting argument with the quizmaster as he would not accept that it was Donovan and not Dylan who sung Catch The Wind. I am still bitter about this. 

• Like 1

Â