The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:
  Hide contents

Rome. Flavian Palace? Detail to follow  

Feminine creature. She Wolf, adoptive child Romulus and Remus. Number of routes, Hannibal took a route with elephants across the alps. City is Rome built on seven hills, Flavian Palace built on one of them  

Spoiler

Very good. I was after the name of the hill, but excellent work 👍

1 minute ago, El Zen said:
  Hide contents

Very good. I was after the name of the hill, but excellent work 👍

You learn things at school and I had to google very little on this one. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 15:00, El Zen said:

Your next destination: 

At ********** you are approached by a feminine creature who asks you to go to the city her adoptive child founded. She explains that in order to get here, you have an infinite number of routes to choose from, but if you are crossing the mountains, you don't necessarily have to take elephants, even if history has proven it possible. This city is a role model, both politically, culturally and linguistically, and so rich in history you may want to stay and explore it eternally. Your specific destination is the one of seven where the first built his palace, in the middle of the city. Where are we going now? 

Spoiler tag answers, please!

Spoiler

The feminine creature you meet is the shewolf, adpotive mother to Romolus and Remus, mythical founders of Rome. All roads lead to Rome, as you know, even across the alps with elephants if you want to follow in the footsteps of Hannibal, the Carthagenian general who nearly brought Rome to its end. Roman civilization is a role model in many different arenas, and is nicknamed the Eternal City. Your specific destination in Rome is one of its seven hills, the Palatine Hill where Augustus, first emperor of Rome, built his palace. 

• Like 1

Next: 

In ****, you meet a man with an, apparently, large cranium. He wants to guide you to a city in which he had a very brief and deeply unsuccesful stint. In spite of this, he is regarded by many, himself included, as one of the all time greats of his profession. The city you are going to is north in one fourth. However, the region in which it is situated has etymological roots even further to the north, and has given name to a somewhat misleading dish. Where are we going now (name of the city)? 

5 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Next: 

In ****, you meet a man with an, apparently, large cranium. He wants to guide you to a city in which he had a very brief and deeply unsuccesful stint. In spite of this, he is regarded by many, himself included, as one of the all time greats of his profession. The city you are going to is north in one fourth. However, the region in which it is situated has etymological roots even further to the north, and has given name to a somewhat misleading dish. Where are we going now (name of the city)? 

Spoiler

Leeds

• Like 2

@Stevo985 got it absolutely right. 

Spoiler

You met Old big'ead himself, Brian Clough, who led you to the city he had a Damned working relationship with for a very dis-United 44 days. Cloughie is still regarded by many as one of the greatest managers ever, and famously said himself he was certainly in the top one. We are, of course, going to Leeds, which is in northern England (one of the four nations of the UK). Yorkshire's etymological roots , via the city of York, lies in old Norse, and Yorkshire Pudding is the slightly misleading dish. 

I've got one more for now. Stay tuned. 

• Thanks 1

In ***** you hear a radio playing a tune you may recognise. The song is written by a great artist, though small in stature, with a doubly biblical name and performed in duo with his childhood friend. The song's lyrics are about what you would rather be, if you only could, but the melody is taken from folk music traditions in a mountainous country further to the south. This country, where you will find your next destination, is one of many that owes its inedpendence to a man who shares his name with the beforementioned lyricist. You are told to travel to this nation's capital city, whose name has the same amount of letters as the name of the country - one of only three in the world with this combination of numbers and letters. Where are we going now?

Edited by El Zen

31 minutes ago, El Zen said:

In ***** you hear a radio playing a tune you may recognise. The song is written by a great artist, though small in stature, with a doubly biblical name and performed in duo with his childhood friend. The song's lyrics are about what you would rather be, if you only could, but the melody is taken from folk music traditions in a mountainous country further to the south. This country, where you will find your next destination, is one of many that owes its inedpendence to a man who shares his name with the beforementioned lyricist. You are told to travel to this nation's capital city, whose name has the same amount of letters as the name of the country - one of only FOUR in the world with this combination of numbers and letters. Where are we going now?

Too easy, no Googling required.

Lima (Peru)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, El Zen said:

whose name has the same amount of letters as the name of the country - one of only FOUR in the world with this combination of numbers and letters.

Not true. I counted three and I only got as far as A in the alphabet

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not true. I counted three and I only got as far as A in the alphabet

With excactly four in each?

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

With excactly four in each?

That isn't how I read the statement, I didn't realise it was capital cities with only four letters, I thought you meant capital cities with the same number of letters as the name of the country

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

That isn't how I read the statement, I didn't realise it was capital cities with only four letters, I thought you meant capital cities with the same number of letters as the name of the country

I can see why. Could have been clearer. 

EDIT: You still helped me spot an error, though. There are only THREE countries with this combo.

Edited by El Zen

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh right I see. Hmm, dunno that, have to Google it.

Lima is probably the most obvious one of the three. 

Â