The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

18 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Spoiler tag answers, please! 

In Hamburg, you meet a deceased artist in striped clothing. He tells you that many regard him as the greatest ever, but some people may argue that a younger compatriot is even greater. Your next journey goes to the artist's city, where the young men are playing by river's mouth dressed in Swedish colours and where you should be able to fill your lungs with high quality oxygen. Where are we going now? 

Spoiler

Buenos Aires?

• Like 1

The answer to yesterday's puzzle: 

Spoiler

The artist in striped clothing is of course the late Diego Maradona, regarded by many as the greatest footballer ever, although kids today may give that title to his natural heir, Lionel Messi. We are going to Maradona's city, in which you can find Boca Juniors playing in blue and yellow where the mouth of the Matanza River joins the great Rio de la Plata. La Boca literally means "the mouth" in Spanish and is a neighbourhood of Argentina's capital city. Boca Junior's colours are said to come from the club's founders spotting a Swedish ship in the harbour, and choosing its colours as their own. We are of course going to Buenos Aires, which literally translates to "good air". 

In ******** you meet a short-named man you haven't heard much from since he in the year 2012 told the world about life in the city district he is from.  He wants you to travel to this city district, which is otherwise famous for its wealth and big business. He explains further that the city district is south of a river that will take you further north towards the border to a country you may not want to visit, and that might not be too keen to let you in either. Where are we going now? 

16 minutes ago, El Zen said:

In ******** you meet a short-named man you haven't heard much from since he in the year 2012 told the world about life in the city district he is from.  He wants you to travel to this city district, which is otherwise famous for its wealth and big business. He explains further that the city district is south of a river that will take you further north towards the border to a country you may not want to visit, and that might not be too keen to let you in either. Where are we going now? 

Spoiler

Seoul/Gangnam - the man is Psy, the song is Gangnam Style?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Seoul/Gangnam - the man is Psy, the song is Gangnam Style?

Spoiler

I was getting bogged down by South America and going down a Pele route. Enough to say I now know more about brazilian rivers than I did at the start of the day  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:
  Hide contents

I was getting bogged down by South America and going down a Pele route. Enough to say I now know more about brazilian rivers than I did at the start of the day  

Spoiler

Yeah must admit when i see the word artist i usually think of someone like Rolf Harris  , not Maradona  .. but the penny dropped eventually

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:
  Hide contents

North Korea as @HanoiVillan hasn’t explicitly said it  

Spoiler

Our destination is south of the border, and HV had it bang on, but DPRK is one of the clues, absolutely. 

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Spoiler

Beaten to it by others but I got that one instantly, unlike the others and I got it without the references to Psy and that irritating song

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

When I was in Korea, I lived in a city called Gunsan, which is a way away from Seoul. Twice a month I set out for Seoul, on my own, to go clubbing. After a while, I got it down to a fine routine. Early evening departure from Gunsan, for a three-hour bus ride to Seoul. Then an hour on the subway to Sinchon, where the love motel I stayed at was located. Shower, beers, enjoy watching the TV ( :ph34r: ), then go for dinner and drinks in the university district of Hongdae, then a cab ride across the city to a club, either Volume in Itaewon or Eden in Gangnam, spend all night on the floor, get kicked out at 6, subway back looking like hell, three hours of sleep, wake in time for a McMuffin, 4 hour journey back home. No wonder I left with fatty liver disease and no savings 🤦‍♂️

Good times.

I starting reading that as a quiz question. I was thinking my knowledge of Seoul only extends to Hooker Hill, that I learned from a drunk American in Bangkok. 

Sounds like a great time. How did you find going clubbing by yourself. I'd be too self conscious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

When I was in Korea, I lived in a city called Gunsan, which is a way away from Seoul. Twice a month I set out for Seoul, on my own, to go clubbing. After a while, I got it down to a fine routine. Early evening departure from Gunsan, for a three-hour bus ride to Seoul. Then an hour on the subway to Sinchon, where the love motel I stayed at was located. Shower, beers, enjoy watching the TV ( :ph34r: ), then go for dinner and drinks in the university district of Hongdae, then a cab ride across the city to a club, either Volume in Itaewon or Eden in Gangnam, spend all night on the floor, get kicked out at 6, subway back looking like hell, three hours of sleep, wake in time for a McMuffin, 4 hour journey back home. No wonder I left with fatty liver disease and no savings 🤦‍♂️

Good times.

Ha …. I have a photo of me in Seoul chowing down on chicken wings in some local diner  , the clock behind me captures the time at 7:30 … am

But on the plus side it also overcame the problem of how do we get home when the metro isn’t running … simples , just drink all through the night until it restarts .

Good times indeed 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I starting reading that as a quiz question. I was thinking my knowledge of Seoul only extends to Hooker Hill, that I learned from a drunk American in Bangkok. 

Hookers aren’t my thing tbh , but if they were Hooker Hill is probably where I’d go to break my duck , some stunners walking about the place .… not cheap though , my mate went off to take a look and came back white as a sheet when he heard the price , mind you he lives in BKK so he’s probably used to cheap prices 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Sounds like a great time. How did you find going clubbing by yourself. I'd be too self conscious. 

I'd always rather have been doing it with someone else, but everyone I knew in the country was into very different types of music and scene, and I just needed the release, so it had to be done. At first I was a bit self-conscious, but I just got drunk enough that I could dance all night and it worked out well in the end. Managed to get some people out to a couple of nights, one of which was a big success, but it just wasn't at the pace I needed.

• Like 1

Did a family quiz last night someone had set. 

All the questions were things like which is the furthest south out of 2 places very close together, or which has the highest population out of 2 very similar sized countries or cities. 

What has the highest cc out of these 2  expeptionally evenly matched cars. 

All the answers were within a percentage point of each other. 

So pointless, it's not a quiz unless you had that very very specific knowledge about the population of 2 cities to within the nearest 1,000.

Might as well just toss a coin on each answer.  I ended up just choosing the answers in alphabetical order of the first letter of the name. 

There were loads of them as well.  Pissed me right off. 

Edited by sidcow

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Did a family quiz last night someone had set. 

All the questions were things like which is the furthest south out of 2 places very close together, or which has the highest population out of 2 very similar sized countries or cities. 

What has the highest cc out of these 2  expeptionally evenly matched cars. 

All the answers were within a percentage point of each other. 

So pointless, it's not a quiz unless you had that very very specific knowledge about the population of 2 cities to within the nearest 1,000.

Might as well just toss a coin on each answer.  I ended up just choosing the answers in alphabetical order of the first letter of the name. 

There were loads of them as well.  Pissed me right off. 

Yeah, that's crap - those are 'tie breaker' questions, not for the body of the quiz. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, that's crap - those are 'tie breaker' questions, not for the body of the quiz. 

That is true.  I should ask them to send it to me then flog it to quiz masters for tie break questions. 

The one I couldn't believe is that Canada has more McDonalds than the UK despite almost half our population. I know its a gigantic country but surely miles and miles and miles of just nothing.......until you come to a McDonalds seemingly. 

Edited by sidcow

The solution to the previous puzzle:

Spoiler

The man you meet is Psy, who gave the world the gift that is "Gangnam Style", his 2012 mega hit earworm. Gangnam, of course, refers to the affluent city district in Seoul, South Korea. Gangnam literally translates to "south of the river", and the river in question is the Han, that runs through South Korea's capital city and continues north towards the North Korean border. 

Haven't done this for a while, so here's this week's pub quiz. We came equal first with 33, but lost out on the part two tie break. Answers tomorrow. 

1. On May 10th 1291 Edward I forced the Scottish nobles to allow him to select the King of Scotland at Norham Castle a home of which bishop of Durham? 
A) Hugh Æthelwine  
B)Anthony Beck 
C)Thomas Creek 
D)William Ditch

2. Who sighted the Cayman Islands on May 10th 1503 and named them Las Tortugas after the sea turtles swimming there? A)Francisco de Almeida 
B)Vasco de Balboa 
C)Christopher Columbus 
D)Francis Drake

3. It was announced that Winston Churchill would lead a coalition government on May 10th 1940. Churchill was born in Blenheim Palace named after the Battle of Blenheim which took place in which century?  
A)16th 
B)17th 
C)18th 
D)19th 

4. On May 10th1967 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards appeared before magistrates where in West Sussex charged with drug offences? 
A)Arundel  
B)Billinghurst 
C)Chichester 
D)Ditchling

5. Which English county borders both East Sussex and West Sussex? 

6. Which 1985 Bond film had the Amberley Working Museum in West Sussex double for an abandoned silver mine in California? 

7. In the Summer of 1894 Oscar Wilde is believed to have written part of ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ in which West Sussex town, naming its protagonist after it? 

8. Which team from the largest inland town in West Sussex beat Leeds United of the Premier League in this season’s FA Cup on Jan 10th 2021? 

9. How many teams play in the Premier League? 

10. Who were the first Premier League Champions in the 1992-93 season? 

11. With 653 which player has made the most Premier League appearances? 

12. Who b.1971 has received the most straight red cards in the Premier League? 

13. Which artist b.1989 released an album and song entitled ‘Red’ in 2012? 

14. Which superhero wears a red cape emblazoned with the symbol of the House of El? 

15. What nationality was Piet Mondrian (1872-1944) who painted ‘Composition with Yellow, Blue and Red’ between 1937 and 1942? 

16. Which underground line was Orange on Harry Beck’s 1933 map and is now, since 1938, Red? 

17. What was the title, in the UK, of the first Harry Potter novel in 1997? 

18. Tom Dick and Harry are three tunnels in the film the Great Escape ordered by Squadron leader Roger Bartlett played by? 

19. Martin Beck was the booking agent for who - born Erik Weisz in Hungary in 1874 d.1926? 

20. Henry Charles Albert David b.1984 known as Prince Harry was made Duke of where in 2018? 

Part 1 tie break – What was the service number of Prince Harry when he served in the army from 2005-2015? 

21. On May 10th 1978 Italian politician Alda Moro was buried and which Interior Minister resigned only to become Prime Minister in 1979 and Italy’s 8th President 1985-92?   A)Giulio Andreotti 
B)Mario Baldassari 
C)Francesco Cossiga 
D)Carlo Dosser

22. Whose 371/2 inch 1881 sculpture ‘Danseresje of 14’ originally entitled ‘Petite danseuse de quatorze ans.’ sold in New York on this date in 1988 for $10,120,000?                         A)Anna Ancher 
B)Eugène Boudin 
C)Paul Cezanne 
D)Edgar Degas

23. Agnetha Falstog released a new album on May 10th2013 entitled what? 
A)’A’ 
B)’B’ 
C)’C’ 
D)’D’     

24. In 2017 on May 10th the USA authorities announced that which Glacier in Montana had receded 85% in 50 years? 
A)Adams 
B)Boulder 
C)Colder 
D)Diddy

25. Which is the only continent on Earth with currently no glaciers - its mount Kosciuszko had a small glacier 10,000 years ago during the last glacial ice age? 

26. In which country is the Perito Moreno Glacier in Los Glaciares National Park? 

27. The largest glacier in continental Europe is Jostedalsbreen with 487 square kilometres of ice up to 600 meters thick is in which country? 

28. Fires in the Amazon in 2010 caused a 4.5% increase in water runoff from the Zongo Glacier located 30km N.E. of La Paz in which country? 

29. The Amazon rainforest spreads across 9 countries – which country has 64% of it? 

30. Martin Strel in 2007 the first man to swim the entire length of the Amazon river was born 1954 in the town of Mokronog SR Slovenia one of the 6 federal republics which then formed which country? 

31. Who b.1964 as Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen founded Amazon in 1994? 

32. Water from the Amazon River flows into which ocean? 

33. Bubalus bubalis is commonly known as what water creature? 

34. The Rime of the Ancient _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by Samuel Taylor Coleridge includes the line, ‘Water, water everywhere, / Nor any drop to drink.’? 

35. In Act II scene 2 of which Shakespeare play does the wife of the eponymous character have the lines, ‘I hear a knocking / At the south entry; retire we to our chamber’/ A little water clears us of this deed;’? 

36. What type of anthropomorphic creature is Rango in the 2011 film who brings water to the town of Dirt in the Mojave desert? 

37. In ‘The Jungle Book’, a collection of stories by Rudyard Kipling, the anthropomorphic Mother Wolf, Raksha, names the man cub Mowgli which she says means what? 

38. The anthropomorphic Big Bad Wolf featured in the story Rotkäppuchen by which siblings Jacob and Wilheim? 

39. Which supermarket first used an anthropomorphic Carrot, later named Kevin, in their 2016 Christmas campaign?

40. ‘Bree’ is an anthropomorphic horse in whose 1954 novel ‘The Horse and His Boy’? 

Part 2 tie break - How many days did it take for Martin Strel to swim 3,274 miles of the Amazon? 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â