The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Quiz regulars varied between 20 and 40. Very few diners. Bear in mind that the quiz was supposed to be at 9.30, but hardly ever started before 10.00, by which time the diners had gone anyway. You got the occasional 'passing trade' (often younger people), who would decide to have a go at the quiz - and often found it baffling, so they may have decided to avoid Mondays in future. But, yeah, I'm not convinced that they're going to make any increased profit on Mondays, once the post-covid enthusiasm dies down. 

Try for a quieter evening. Maybe a Tuesday. That way you get your quiz and they get business in the bar they wouldn't ordinarily get that evening.  That's probably already the case with the Monday arrangement but sell it to them like that. That's what we did with our one and it worked. Presuming you guys can do Tuesdays. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Quiz regulars varied between 20 and 40. Very few diners. Bear in mind that the quiz was supposed to be at 9.30, but hardly ever started before 10.00, by which time the diners had gone anyway. You got the occasional 'passing trade' (often younger people), who would decide to have a go at the quiz - and often found it baffling, so they may have decided to avoid Mondays in future. But, yeah, I'm not convinced that they're going to make any increased profit on Mondays, once the post-covid enthusiasm dies down. 

That number seems like very good business for a Monday night (particularly if it’s late on Monday night) to disregard the way they have. 

Very odd decision. 

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Presuming you guys can do Tuesdays. 

Wouldn't be an ideal day for me and Mrs M, as Tues/Wed/Thu are our 'working week' with the grandchildren, and we're knackered! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

30 years of tradition, gone in an e-mail, I’d be **** livid

I think that's the real kick in the nuts. Thirty years. We've been going for about twenty of them. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think that's the real kick in the nuts. Thirty years. We've been going for about twenty of them. 

Move it to a neighbouring pub. Sell it properly. Explain the situation and that you're looking for a new home. I doubt they'd all turn their noses up to the business. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, it looks like you'll never see another one. Got this email from our quizmaster: 

:(

30 years??!!

That's an institution.  Can you just find another pub to host the quiz?

• Like 1

Food is undoubtedly where the money lies for pubs. 

But as you say the quiz was generally after diners have finished. 

Maybe there is a trend to eat later these days? However it does sounds like they just want a different vibe. 

I usually / used to do a quiz at The Country Girl in Selly Oak.  A popular quiz and I definitely think they had more people in the pub later than they otherwise would.  Used to get a lot of student groups in entering teams as well although it was generally the same old farts who tended to win. 

Started to get a bit depressing when the "older" music round started to get songs in it that I would consider modern though. 

You will probably find out that they have a DJ on Monday nights laying down some mellow tunes and the beer engines ripped out for craft ale taps and people with beards, check shirts and no socks will frequent there.   You are better off out of it @mjmooney

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You will probably find out that they have a DJ on Monday nights laying down some mellow tunes and the beer engines ripped out for craft ale taps and people with beards, check shirts and no socks will frequent there

That is definitely the way things had been trending even before the pandemic. It's a shame, because it used to be a real nice old pub. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I went to a pub quiz and one of the questions was “what race is Spock in Star Trek” and when they got to the answers everyone had put ‘Vulcan’ and they all got a point. I said no, Spock is half Vulcan, half Human, I had to get my phone out to prove it. Everyone said sorry, you are right, you win but there was no apologies necessary.

People think, why is it important? It’s like saying I’ve got a new dog breed, it’s half Alsatian half Labrador. If you go to crufts and say I’ve got an Alsatian they’ll say no. If you say I’ve got a Labrador they’ll say no, now get that dog out of my sight. And that’s crufts.

CTtzzvrWsAAEm57.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I went to a pub quiz and one of the questions was “what race is Spock in Star Trek” and when they got to the answers everyone had put ‘Vulcan’ and they all got a point. I said no, Spock is half Vulcan, half Human, I had to get my phone out to prove it. Everyone said sorry, you are right, you win but there was no apologies necessary.

People think, why is it important? It’s like saying I’ve got a new dog breed, it’s half Alsatian half Labrador. If you go to crufts and say I’ve got an Alsatian they’ll say no. If you say I’ve got a Labrador they’ll say no, now get that dog out of my sight. And that’s crufts.

:crylaugh:I love that

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

I just googled Mike's quiz pub. I didn't expect the interior to look like that. Have a lot of pubs in England been completely renovated in a modern style like the Princess? @mjmooney

They have indeed. Good stalking, btw. How did you work out which of the very many Princesses it was? 

Edited by mjmooney

13 hours ago, a m ole said:

How to be a winner and a loser at the same time :P  (I say this as a fellow insufferable pedant #snogs)

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

How to be a winner and a loser at the same time :P  (I say this as a fellow insufferable pedant #snogs)

I know, but ‘Carpet Muncher’ doesn’t get a point, ‘Dr Wankenstein’ doesn’t get a point, ‘Stephen Hawkins Football Boots’ doesn’t get a point, I do. And that’s the real quiz.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They have indeed. Good stalking, btw. How did you work out which of the very many Princesses it was? 

I just typed "Princess Pub Leeds" and it came right up. I clicked their Facebook page and the Landlords names matched the ones in the kiss off letter.

peter_falk-300x450.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=300&h=410&crop=1

• Like 2

On 14/05/2021 at 10:01, El Zen said:

Your next puzzle:

In ******* you receive a postcard with a picture of a scantily clad symbol of liberty, and the writing on the back tells you to travel to the city with which the picture is associated, and that one of many travel options is to follow the lead of shallow medieval ships. Once you arrive in this city, you may choose from a wide variety of tourist attractions, such as a mysterious woman or the resting place of the man who gave name to a powerful desert. Your specific destination is another important symbol of liberty, a place associated with the country's day of celebration. Where are we going today? 

Spoiler

The postcard shows the painting "Liberty Leading the People", and you are asked to travel to Paris - and to get there you may follow the Vikings and navigate the Seine. Paris, among a great deal else, is home to both Mona Lisa and her mysterious smile at the Louvre and Napoleon Bonaparte's tomb. Specificially, you are visting Place de la Bastille, which commemorates the storming of the infamous and eponymous prison fortress on July 14th 1789, and July 14th is still France's national day. 

Your next destination: 

At ********** you are approached by a feminine creature who asks you to go to the city her adoptive child founded. She explains that in order to get here, you have an infinite number of routes to choose from, but if you are crossing the mountains, you don't necessarily have to take elephants, even if history has proven it possible. This city is a role model, both politically, culturally and linguistically, and so rich in history you may want to stay and explore it eternally. Your specific destination is the one of seven where the first built his palace, in the middle of the city. Where are we going now? 

Spoiler tag answers, please!

Edited by El Zen

13 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Your next destination: 

At ********** you are approached by a feminine creature who asks you to go to the city her adoptive child founded. She explains that in order to get here, you have an infinite number of routes to choose from, but if you are crossing the mountains, you don't necessarily have to take elephants, even if history has proven it possible. This city is a role model, both politically, culturally and linguistically, and so rich in history you may want to stay and explore it eternally. Your specific destination is the one of seven where the first built his palace, in the middle of the city. Where are we going now? 

Spoiler tag answers, please!

Spoiler

Rome. Flavian Palace? Detail to follow  

Feminine creature. She Wolf, adoptive child Romulus and Remus. Number of routes, Hannibal took a route with elephants across the alps. City is Rome built on seven hills, Flavian Palace part of  Palace of Domitian built on the Palatine Hill.   

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Â