The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Almost. 

Many Nazi Party members saved Jews and were honoured. 

It's not an honour in terms of receiving a medal, title or anything similar. 

....the current owner of Posh Paws from multi coloured swap shop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody been watching "The 1% Club"?

Decent new quiz show. I seem to be rather good at it so genuinely thinking of applying.

Anyway basic format is there's 100 people. Each round they ask a question to everyone in slowly increasing levels of difficulty. First question 90% of the Uk could answer, second question 80%, then 70% etc etc

If you get it wrong you're out and your money goes in the pot. Last man standing wins the pot if they get the last question right, which is the 1% question.

Anyway, I watched the latest one yesterday. The first question was

"Which of these words contains the most vowels?

A. Vowel
B. Consonant
C. Letter"

25... TWENTY FIVE people got it wrong! 25% of the people they had on. 

I mean if you can't answer that why are you even bothering to go on?

Just now, Seat68 said:

....the current owner of Posh Paws from multi coloured swap shop?

No. Posh Paws never recovered from the blow of losing his job on Swap Shop.  His was an orphan having lost his parents to a meteor strike.  He turned to drugs and died in 2007 in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool.  The coroner ruled that he choked on vomit. It was not his own.  

• Like 1

On 07/02/2022 at 22:13, ml1dch said:

This thread seemed the best place to put this - this is just a work of art.

Very clever. Keeping the Star Wars fans happy while everyone knows the answer is Trek :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Oscar Shindler is the only member of the Nazi Party who is...........

By the way - it's a historical fact. 

Buried in a Jewish cemetery in Israel.

• Like 1

We have a correctish answer.  

He is the only verified Nazi member to be buried on Mount Zion in Jerusalem.  (Although in a Catholic cemetry) 

He is the only verified Nazi member knowingly buried in Israel.  

The only reason  he is  not the only Nazi Party member buried in Israel is that a German Community had a cemetery in Jerusalem.  The British deported them as German Saboteurs during WW2.  Its feasible but not confirmed that some of the burials could have been Nazi Party members. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Anybody been watching "The 1% Club"?

Decent new quiz show. I seem to be rather good at it so genuinely thinking of applying.

Anyway basic format is there's 100 people. Each round they ask a question to everyone in slowly increasing levels of difficulty. First question 90% of the Uk could answer, second question 80%, then 70% etc etc

If you get it wrong you're out and your money goes in the pot. Last man standing wins the pot if they get the last question right, which is the 1% question.

Anyway, I watched the latest one yesterday. The first question was

"Which of these words contains the most vowels?

A. Vowel
B. Consonant
C. Letter"

25... TWENTY FIVE people got it wrong! 25% of the people they had on. 

I mean if you can't answer that why are you even bothering to go on?

I watched the first episode and assumed it was a sketch where Ant and Dec were pranking Lee Mack .. the questions were so easy  and yet people were dropping like flies  , I reckon if the question was "what is your name"  , 30% of them would have got it wrong

even the final Q where it was just one percent written backwards  minus the last 2 letters  , 2 out of the 3 finalists got it wrong ... maybe it was pressure , maybe sometimes you just don't' "see it " but even the fish in my tank got the answer inside a couple of seconds 

not watched it again  .... i'll stick to university challenge and being humiliated at home by the kid from Singapore  

55 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We have a correctish answer.  

He is the only verified Nazi member to be buried on Mount Zion in Jerusalem.  (Although in a Catholic cemetry) 

He is the only verified Nazi member knowingly buried in Israel.  

The only reason  he is  not the only Nazi Party member buried in Israel is that a German Community had a cemetery in Jerusalem.  The British deported them as German Saboteurs during WW2.  Its feasible but not confirmed that some of the burials could have been Nazi Party members. 

on a similar theme , I only heard about Albert Battel for the first time recently  ... he was a Nazi officer  who basically blocked the only bridge into a Ghetto in Poland to prevent SS troops entering  ..and then later rescued 100 Jews in army trucks and kept them under protection the army barracks

He was investigated  but somehow survived the war despite being captured by the Soviets 

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I watched the first episode and assumed it was a sketch where Ant and Dec were pranking Lee Mack .. the questions were so easy  and yet people were dropping like flies  , I reckon if the question was "what is your name"  , 30% of them would have got it wrong

even the final Q where it was just one percent written backwards  minus the last 2 letters  , 2 out of the 3 finalists got it wrong ... maybe it was pressure , maybe sometimes you just don't' "see it " but even the fish in my tank got the answer inside a couple of seconds 

not watched it again  .... i'll stick to university challenge and being humiliated at home by the kid from Singapore  

Yeah I have to say the first episode was the easiest. I got every question on it.

That 1% question has been by far the easiest of the lot. I've only got one other out of 4 episodes.

I do imagine that being there and having a time limit adds a load of pressure.

Anyway, I've applied. Relatively easy questions with a jackpot of 90k plus? yes please

• Like 2

Just now, Seat68 said:

The 1% Club is great Saturday night viewing. As it's logic puzzles everyone can have a go. 

Yep, and it's a different kind of knowledge.

My mom is extremely clever when it comes to trivia. I've been telling her for years to go on quiz shows. She's brilliant at your traditional quiz show.

But she's absolutely useless at The 1% club. That non verbal reasoning is just something she's never really done. 

• Like 1

Following on from the Oscar Schindler question...

I hadn't realised what happened to him after the war.  He apparently wasn't a good businessman and went bankrupt. He lived on the charitable donations of those he saved and Israeli charities. 

On 05/05/2022 at 15:59, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I have to say the first episode was the easiest. I got every question on it.

That 1% question has been by far the easiest of the lot. I've only got one other out of 4 episodes.

I do imagine that being there and having a time limit adds a load of pressure.

Anyway, I've applied. Relatively easy questions with a jackpot of 90k plus? yes please

Second time watching .. still super easy but just with more annoying audience members than the other time  I watched 

I’ve become Victor Meldrow it seems  !

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Second time watching .. still super easy but just with more annoying audience members than the other time  I watched 

I’ve become Victor Meldrow it seems  !

I don't believe it 😶

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

What does a one euro coin and a 50 Hong Kong cents coin have in common?

I think you might have to narrow this one down a little. 

They are coins. 

They are round. 

They are both worth more than SHA. 

My only serious guess is…….both remain legal tender despite having UK related themes that are no longer relevant.  The UK is pictured as part of the EU.  The queen is pictured as the head of state???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think you might have to narrow this one down a little. 

They are coins. 

They are round. 

They are both worth more than SHA. 

My only serious guess is…….both remain legal tender despite having UK related themes that are no longer relevant.  The UK is pictured as part of the EU.  The queen is pictured as the head of state???

Fair enough, I'll narrow it down a bit more. It's about what you can do with them, and a British pound coin is also in this group. 

(First three answers correct but too broad, last three not correct). 

Â