Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

We influenced every team in the world that plays a standard league system  :)  Unfortunately nobody seems to know it.

Could you imagine if Liverpool, Spurs or West Ham had the hand we did in forming the league?  We'd never stop hearing about it.

Not even the last century, but the century before that.

I'm a Villa fan and a history lover, but face it, it has ZERO relevance to today's game.

Regardless of which (I'm sure somebody else would've thought of a league) if it was Spurs, you could see Sky billing them as 'The Founder Members' and such every time they played.

Would rather move on Weimann than Gabby.

I wouldn't. Weimann has natural talent, Gabby has pace. One of those attributes dimishes with age, the other doesn't.

What about this for a solution... Move on both

Only if we sign some proper established first 11 players not more 2m potshots.

I really don't get this approach to transfers. Why is price and how known a player is more important than ability?

We signed Helenius and Tonev for about 4m combined. That would've worked well if we'd sold Gabby and Weimann thinking those two would replace them immediately wouldn't it?

Say we go mental in January, have about 30m to spend (already spending the Benteke money early) and sign Loic Remy and Antione Greizmann for 15m each, would you not think those two would be more ready to make a difference in our first 11 straight away than Tonev and Helenius.

IMO now we've reached the stage where our squad is pretty good in numbers now but we need players who can quickly come in and improve our first 11, not more long term projects like Tonev and Helenius.

Although I'd agree with some of what you're saying .. 

But tbh .. I think Tonev and Helenius would do Weimann job if not better ! Only position and finishing is what I think he's better than Tonev on .. One of them didn't appear this year (finishing) .. And his positioning is not very benefit in his current position .. So Tonev for Weimann (on the wing) all day ..

It's a matter of who's better to be paired with Benteke or Kozak upfront .. Helenius or Weimann ?! Couldn't tell as I only saw clips and couple of minutes for Helenius .. 

We're a fair way off attracting the likes of Dembele or De Bruyne. Maybe in 12-18mths time, if things start to click into place for us, but we still look a prospect for the lower half of the table atm.

But they need game time as soon as possible ! ^_^

People wishing for the supposedly 15m rated Dembele are dreaming he is a player that will surely go to a CL club. As much as I would love him to come to us I don't see what our draw to him would be other than a massive wage packet we wont pay him.

As for signing cheap players I think we may have one more season of that even though I personally think we should be done with that this season and start to add just a few players per year with the funds provided which seems to be about 20m a season.

He isn't at a CL club now so what's the difference. His reasons for moving are to get game time which puts him in contention for the world cup, add to that he'd be playing with benteke gives us a good a chance as any. The stumbling block of course is fee and wages, now we have shifted the majority of dead wood and could potentially move on Hutton or given, we could go for him. Plus if we are to believe that the books are beginning to look good and we are slowly heading out of the financial constraints it would be a signing of intent from us.

I must admit though there are a few big its in there.

His likely wages would be way above what we seem to be willing to pay and as for the CL comments Spurs are a CL club. Being a CL club doesn't mean you are playing this year or maybe even last year to me. To me (and I suspect players) mean that they have a very good chance of qualifying each year if Utd missed out on CL this year we wouldn't say they aren't a CL club.

We have no chance of buying a player like him.

People wishing for the supposedly 15m rated Dembele are dreaming he is a player that will surely go to a CL club. As much as I would love him to come to us I don't see what our draw to him would be other than a massive wage packet we wont pay him.

As for signing cheap players I think we may have one more season of that even though I personally think we should be done with that this season and start to add just a few players per year with the funds provided which seems to be about 20m a season.

He isn't at a CL club now so what's the difference. His reasons for moving are to get game time which puts him in contention for the world cup, add to that he'd be playing with benteke gives us a good a chance as any. The stumbling block of course is fee and wages, now we have shifted the majority of dead wood and could potentially move on Hutton or given, we could go for him. Plus if we are to believe that the books are beginning to look good and we are slowly heading out of the financial constraints it would be a signing of intent from us.

His likely wages would be way above what we seem to be willing to pay and as for the CL comments Spurs are a CL club. Being a CL club doesn't mean you are playing this year or maybe even last year to me. To me (and I suspect players) mean that they have a very good chance of qualifying each year if Utd missed out on CL this year we wouldn't say they aren't a CL club.

whilst this is true in terms o bidding for the very best players, if you can offer a player CL or european football in the year after he signs and he's coming from a club which aren't playing at that level he'll favour you over other teams that can't offer european football. this is true even if you aren't an established CL club. 

Either way, we're not in a position to offer it so we're not in the market for that type of player IMO.

Yeah I don't really get your thinking with the CL thing, and you can't compare united with spurs. Spurs are not in the CL so are not a CL club. So are we a championship team because we've been in a relegation battle for a few seasons?

Either way I agree it'll be difficult to see us getting him.

Facts. Spurs are not a champion s league club, Gabby is going nowhere, Dempsey isn't coming to villa, or any other hi profile, hi cost loan signing. Don't feed the trolls

You can't state all of them as facts, unless you're Randy Lerner?

People were certain O'Neill hadn't left, when he had. People' were certain we weren't buying Bent, we did. People were certain Benteke was leaving last summer, he didn't.

Gabby and Dempsey, I agree with you. But never say never, when it comes to our incoming signings. We don't know what Lambert's long-term plan is. We've being cost-cutting for a while now. The transfer policy might change as the shape of our squad does.

We have the basis of a half-decent squad now. Soon, Lambert might decide to use more money on more high profile players, if they fit in with what he wants. We don't know for certain.

Dembele is a Belgian international playing for a team with Champions League ambitions. He has a world cup to look forward to and he isn't playing enough club football. The last part of that is our only hope. The first part is probably why we wouldn't get him.

• Like 1

Exactly

We simply are not in the market for those kinds of players anymore

I fully expect us to spend about 2 - 4 mill in jan on a player such as Popov who's would be unproven in the premierleague but whose wages would be significantly less

Facts. Spurs are not a champion s league club, Gabby is going nowhere, Dempsey isn't coming to villa, or any other hi profile, hi cost loan signing. Don't feed the trolls

People were certain O'Neill hadn't left, when he had. People' were certain we weren't buying Bent, we did. People were certain Benteke was leaving last summer, he didn't.

Gabby and Dempsey, I agree with you. But never say never, when it comes to our incoming signings. We don't know what Lambert's long-term plan is. We've being cost-cutting for a while now. The transfer policy might change as the shape of our squad does.

We have the basis of a half-decent squad now. Soon, Lambert might decide to use more money on more high profile players, if they fit in with what he wants. We don't know for certain.

we have been cost cutting and still posting losses. I dont think our calibre of signing will get any better for a least another 18-24 months

we have been cost cutting and still posting losses. I dont think our calibre of signing will get any better for a least another 18-24 months

to be fair the calibre of player comign in on the whole has been great, in terms of quality vs price we've done some of the best business for ages. (Benteke, Lowton, Sylla, Westwood, Bacuna...)

what we might do in 18-24 months time once we aren't having to totally rebuild the squad anymore is use our budget on fewer targets with marginally higher wages, less scattergun and more concentrated on stuff like paying 7m on one player, Benteke style. 

on dembele, if he's looking for a loan move, its a short term thing to ensure that he is playing first team football for the rest of the season with a view to securing a place in belgium's world cup squad.

villa appear to be a team that is not in dire straits in terms of performance, like many of the other premier league teams, has a world class player in benteke, and would allow him to lock down a first team place quickly and with a fair degree of certainty. all of these would appeal, as would the flexibility at the end of the season to decide whether villa is a project that he buys into for the longer term, while not having to worry about marking his time to make his way into an established first team...

from spurs perspective, it would mean that they are not allowing him to move to a key competitor.

i can see the appeal of this to all parties.... as ever, however, the devil is in the details, by which i mean the cost...

• Like 2

http://m.walfoot.be/fra/news/lis/2013-11-20/de-bruyne-et-si-aston-villa-empochait-la-mise

Article on De Bruyne possibly coming in on loan in January.

Whats the point in taking him? Be better giving Tonev and Hellinus their chance and i would be surprised PL thought different.

This is just Belgium press trying to drum up interest so he is ready for the national team come June.

http://m.walfoot.be/fra/news/lis/2013-11-20/de-bruyne-et-si-aston-villa-empochait-la-mise

Article on De Bruyne possibly coming in on loan in January.

Whats the point in taking him? Be better giving Tonev and Hellinus their chance and i would be surprised PL thought different.

This is just Belgium press trying to drum up interest so he is ready for the national team come June.

The point of taking him would be that he is a top four quality player and he could make a big difference.

Â