Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

It' hard for me to understand how certain"lesser" clubs seem to be able to pay better wages and attract a "higher quality" of player. Baffling.

because they're in the speculation phase. They spend more than they earn to attempt to make more money and then pay the money back to the owner. The exact phase we went through 3 years ago. Eventually some of them will succeed and some will fail, the failures will have to reconcile and consolidate like we are the moment, while we spend again to attempt to move forward, albeit at a slower pace than last time.
  • Like 1

Don't be so dramatic. We are not Wigan.

We budget and spend like Wigan. Are you going to suggest the article is also dramatic saying we can't compete financially with West Brom?

Lots of clubs are on a tight budget. What people seem to be forgetting is that we had a few years of lots of spending (recklessly) and that's at least partially the reason for the cutbacks now. I think the way some go on about this Wigan comparison is actually a bit disrespectful to the club and also a bit shallow.

As has already been explained I think the article is a bit misleading.

Disrespectful to the club?

I think so, yes.

PSG Enter Race With Arsenal, Tottenham And Villa For French Striker
SetWidth638-Auxerre-chairman-Guy-Cotret-
Paris Saint-Germain have joined Arsenal, Tottenham and Aston Villa in a race to sign French Under-21 striker Paul-Georges Ntep from Ligue 2 side Auxerre.

The three Premier League clubs are thought to be keeping tabs on the forward who has bagged himself 12 goals in 20 games this season.

And according to Talk Sport, Paris Saint-Germain are now expressing an interest in Ntep ahead of the January transfer window.

Auxerre value their man at around £2million and he still has 18 months left on his current deal.

Tottenham and Arsenal are both desperate to sign a striker in January as Spurs have only scored nine goals all season whilst Arsenal have very little competition for Olivier Giroud.

Aston Villa are also keen on picking someone up who can support Christian Benteke and take some pressure off the Belgian.

PSG may be Ntep’s preferred choice if he wishes to stay in France but he may struggle to play regularly with Zlatan Ibrahimovic currently leading the line with Edison Cavani for company.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

It' hard for me to understand how certain"lesser" clubs seem to be able to pay better wages and attract a "higher quality" of player. Baffling.

Answer = Given, Hutton, Bent and Nzogbia. Once we finally get rid of that shower of shite then we'll be in a much much better position.

Answer = Given, Hutton, Bent and Nzogbia. Once we finally get rid of that shower of shite then we'll be in a much much better position.

Interesting that none of those was signed by the manager most lay the blame on.

I'm still yet to be convinced our spending will be ambition again once they move on.

Don't be so dramatic. We are not Wigan.

We budget and spend like Wigan. Are you going to suggest the article is also dramatic saying we can't compete financially with West Brom?

Lots of clubs are on a tight budget. What people seem to be forgetting is that we had a few years of lots of spending (recklessly) and that's at least partially the reason for the cutbacks now. I think the way some go on about this Wigan comparison is actually a bit disrespectful to the club and also a bit shallow.

As has already been explained I think the article is a bit misleading.

Disrespectful to the club?

I think so, yes.

Buying cheap, having one of the smallest budgets in the league, looking to sell our players for a big fee and then doing the same again is very much WIgan. The only thing you find problematic is that I (a critic of Randy Lerner who sent the General on here who disrespected fans and offered to "meet up for a punch up" when some fans questioned him) have said this. If it were anybody else, you would not have commented. Feel free to add an RSS feed of my comments to your desktop.

Buying cheap, having one of the smallest budgets in the league, looking to sell our players for a big fee and then doing the same again is very much WIgan. The only thing you find problematic is that I (a critic of Randy Lerner who sent the General on here who disrespected fans and offered to "meet up for a punch up" when some fans questioned him) have said this. If it were anybody else, you would not have commented. Feel free to add an RSS feed of my comments to your desktop.

How exactly does buying cheap makes us equivalent to Wigan? It ignores so many other things and further more, we kept Benteke this summer. Clearly if we were like Wigan we would've flogged him for Spurs for almost triple our investment.

I don't give a **** who says it - I think the Wigan comparisons are silly, and I've said this to multiple people. Drop the persecution complex.

In what way is it disrespectful? I'll tell you want us disrespectful, hiring McLeish and cutting costs while he makes sure he doesn't lose any of his billions of inherited money. I find that disrespectful.

It's needlessly putting down the club for the sole reason that we're not spending much money these days.

Yes, I found the McLeish appointment disrespectful too, but it has nothing to do with people saying we're the new Wigan so I don't even know why you brought that up.

I'm still yet to be convinced our spending will be ambition again once they move on.

Houllier and McLeish don't get as much of the blame because they weren't here for anywhere near as long as O'Neill was, but it's not like those two get off without criticism for their deals in the transfer market.

Edited by Mantis

because they're in the speculation phase. They spend more than they earn to attempt to make more money and then pay the money back to the owner. The exact phase we went through 3 years ago. Eventually some of them will succeed and some will fail, the failures will have to reconcile and consolidate like we are the moment, while we spend again to attempt to move forward, albeit at a slower pace than last time.

Well I would say it because we spent outside our means for the MON years and now the club need to concentrate on getting our finances to the point where we break even, because the previous accounts showed we were still spending more than we were making.  Also Randy has spent an alot of money on the ground and facilities and is still spending in this area.  The north stand redevelopment is also something worth considered as it would be silly to spend a lot of money on that when we can't even break even and finacial fair play rules are in force! My honest opinion is once all the expensive deadwood is gone and the club start making a profit spending will increase but not so much as to bring back into a deficit.  We still have to pay those loans from Randy back too.

Well I would say it because we spent outside our means for the MON years and now the club need to concentrate on getting our finances to the point where we break even, because the previous accounts showed we were still spending more than we were making.  Also Randy has spent an alot of money on the ground and facilities and is still spending in this area.  The north stand redevelopment is also something worth considered as it would be silly to spend a lot of money on that when we can't even break even and finacial fair play rules are in force! My honest opinion is once all the expensive deadwood is gone and the club start making a profit spending will increase but not so much as to bring back into a deficit.  We still have to pay those loans from Randy back too.

Isn't that what I said?

How exactly does buying cheap makes us equivalent to Wigan? It ignores so many other things and further more, we kept Benteke this summer. Clearly if we were like Wigan we would've flogged him for Spurs for almost triple our investment.

I don't give a **** who says it - I think the Wigan comparisons are silly, and I've said this to multiple people. Drop the persecution complex.

In what way is it disrespectful? I'll tell you want us disrespectful, hiring McLeish and cutting costs while he makes sure he doesn't lose any of his billions of inherited money. I find that disrespectful.

It's needlessly putting down the club for the sole reason that we're not spending much money these days.

Yes, I found the McLeish appointment disrespectful too, but it has nothing to do with people saying we're the new Wigan so I don't even know why you brought that up.

Houllier and McLeish don't get as much of the blame because they weren't here for anywhere near as long as O'Neill was, but it's not like those two get off without criticism for their deals in the transfer market.

We are being run like Wigan. 

The same Wigan who were able to keep N'Zogbia and Valencia when teams wanted them, before selling them at a later date.

The same Wigan who shopped on the cheap.

The same way we will sell Benteke next season, before shopping for bargains again.

Lots of clubs have done that in the past. If Randy had run us like that since the beginning then I'd get the argument but he didn't.

I've always thought that the current cutbacks were a red herring - the real problem was the lack of financial control and reckless spending under O'Neill, Houllier and McLeish (which I blame Randy for before I get my head bitten off).

So basically being run on a budget is being "run like Wigan"?

Guess that means there's an awful lot of clubs out there being "run like Wigan".

Are you going over the top because you are ashamed that a club our size is being run this way?

Guess that means there's an awful lot of clubs out there being "run like Wigan".

Are you going over the top because you are ashamed that a club our size is being run this way?

No because I'm not going over the top.

You're happy for us to budget like Wigan, but it is disrespectful to the club? Which is it?

You're happy for us to budget like Wigan, but it is disrespectful to the club? Which is it?

Please go back and read what I've said.

Please go back and read what I've said.

It's hard to, it changes so much.

We cannot compete with West Brom financially. - correct.

We are budgeting like Wigan. - Yep.

The above is the affect of Lerner, the cause was also Lerner. - correct.

So, it is disrespectful that we are budgeting below teams smaller than us, but we are in the right to do so... (and we are forced to, Lerner's lack of control saw to this)

"So basically being run on a budget is being "run like Wigan"?

Guess that means there's an awful lot of clubs out there being "run like Wigan"."

So, this is also disrespectful to those clubs?

Wigan, a team who spend little, sell for high prices, buy cheap, rinse and repeat. Sounds very much like us. If you see that as disrespectful maybe you should ask why we are run this way, lets face it, it isn't because of Doug, Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny.

Â