Weather...

Dodgyknees

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not much variation in the forecast for the area by me, between 35 and 38 according to a handful of websites.

Only just dawned on me that I’ll be in my car at the peak time (I wouldn’t normally need to be driving on a Monday afternoon/evening, tomorrow is an exception), so that’s something to look forward to.

Yes I have the school run on Monday and Tuesday afternoon. That will be hilarious no doubt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Yes I have the school run on Monday and Tuesday afternoon. That will be hilarious no doubt. 

Yep, similar - my daughter’s school are holding a sort of after school open session where parents can look at the work the kids have done.

Basically it’s the first time in about 3 years we’ve had the chance to go into the school to get a better sense of what they’ve been up to and general school life.

Obviously I’m gonna go, but in an ideal world I’d be traversing the A41 not sweating like an extra in The Bridge on the River Kwai.

• Like 1

It's currently 19 degrees in my house, with all the windows shut and the windows covered either externally or with heavy curtains and blackout blinds. Every other house in my street has all the windows open. British people just don't know the basics

• Like 3

We are having a terrible winter here in Perth this year.We have had more rain in the last couple of weeks than we usually get all year.I hope its fine for the ManUre game.

Edited by PussEKatt

Windy is pretty good at visualising local temperatures based off of modelling output / readings (you can zoom in to a local area and adjust it for the following days ahead - Thursday and Friday look beautiful :D).

Windy

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

My recollection of 1976 is that it was hotter than this and for a very sustained period, like weeks on end

The roads melted, we wrote our names in sticky tar

It started well before I finished junior school and ended sometime after I started comprehensive school

I think 2020 generally had nicer more sustained hot weather than this year

Genuine conversation from last night with a man who was at least 65

"This heatwave is dreadful isn't it, people are going to die"

"You've been stood in the local park all day at a festival, you appear to be still with us"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

My recollection of 1976 is that it was hotter than this and for a very sustained period, like weeks on end

The roads melted, we wrote our names in sticky tar

It started well before I finished junior school and ended sometime after I started comprehensive school

I think 2020 generally had nicer more sustained hot weather than this year

Genuine conversation from last night with a man who was at least 65

"This heatwave is dreadful isn't it, people are going to die"

"You've been stood in the local park all day at a festival, you appear to be still with us"

Was global warming being mentioned back then? 

Not looking forward to being on the roof tomorrow and Tuesday . I’m hoping by 12 they send us home, that’s if we haven’t buggered off by then. 

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep. And loads of ladybirds, absolutely millions of them. 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

No. There was concern about the next ice age coming. Honestly.

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I was an 11 year old who read the Morning Star every morning

You took it for the crossword?

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It was. As you can imagine, nobody gave a shit. That's next century's problem. And here we are.

Just now, blandy said:

I wasn't around to see it first hand but from what I've read, it certainly wasn't the case among the scientific community. Even back in the 70s/80s there were significantly more scientific journals being published around the dangers of global warming. Global cooling was more of a niche concern. 

That's within the scientific community though, which often has little relation to how the tabloids choose to represent "the" science.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Nuclear winter maybe :D

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

You took it for the crossword?

My Grandfather was a member of the Communist Party, in fact he was one of a team that helped translate the Communist Manifesto into Welsh so I'm led to believe. It was the only daily paper that got delivered to his house.

Both the BBC abd Met Office are saying highest temperatures are going to be between 36° and 39° where I live in Leicestershire on Monday and Tuesday.

I remember being very worried in the 70’s that the magnetic poles could flip.

I’d have had a subscription to some sort of sci fi / Sasquatch / weird shit magazine and they were big on pole flipping.

Â