World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Heck of a dive from Piatek for Poland last night to get that penalty 

I watched it a few times, and he was clipped. It's a pen.

The thing is, he didn't have to get clipped, nor did he have to fall.

But there was contact, it's a pen.

If I was a modern football TV pundit, I'd say that's what good strikers do.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

If you manufacture contact or manufacture contact to simulate a fall it shouldn't be given as a foul. Piatek has a history of diving and has even been fined for it. It’s a stain on what should have been a great night for Scotland. 

Edited by The_Steve

14 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

This will go down worse than 2018. That was once in a lifetime, this will never happen again kinda stuff. Not been flippant and trivialising mental health but people could off themselves in Italy over this. 2 in a row. Wow. 

Its quite strange really as historically Italy  used to do fairly poorly in the Euros, and were better in the World Cups.  Now in the last 3 euros Italy have got to the final, quarters, and won it. If you include 2022 the last 3 World Cups they didn't get out the  group stage along with England in 2014, and not qualified for the next 2.

I think Italy have won 1 game in the World Cup finals since they won it in 2006.

Edited by The Fun Factory

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Sorry, but this is bollocks.  He's landed cleanly after hurdling the goalkeeper and then thrown himself to the ground.  He's not impeded at all - it's a dive.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wonder how many will attend the party as part of the fa's delegation? 

More than a few middle aged middle class white haired men are going to have the best month of their lives 

I've heard Quatar is lovely in December.

Unless you are not a middle aged middle class white haired man that is. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Southgate thinks a boycott isnt a good idea

In fairness, it's not that he thinks it's not a good idea, he doesn't understand how it would help.

He's not claiming to be inconsiderate, he's claiming to be stupid.

For money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, it's not that he thinks it's not a good idea, he doesn't understand how it would help.

For money.

Ignorance and stupidity pays very well these days

Too late for boycotts or whatever now imo.

Think effective way is just to wear something under their shirts and lift them up when they're lining up to sing the anthems. Sure Fifa would fine FA but that would be a very powerful message on Qatari soil. I presume taking the knee will also happen at least from England even if many other nations likely won't bother.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For money.

I heard his interview on the subject. It was the opposite of what you say in all respects, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I heard his interview on the subject. It was the opposite of what you say in all respects, in my opinion.

Fair enough, I just read the Beeb bit and haven't seen the whole thing., so, seeing as I trust your opinion more than theirs I'll go with you on it. 

In fairness to him, it's not an easy question for a man in his position. 

• Thanks 1

The impression I got, and I'll admit that it's the same interview OBE read, so perhaps it's not fully representative of the interview that Blandy heard, is that the gist of his argument was "well, it's happened now, and we can't change what happened to the construction workers", which is a very convenient position to take when you're remained silent on the problem previously. 

• Like 2

With the UK attempting to secure a joint bid to host Euro 2028, there’s not a hope in hell that England would rock the boat by boycotting the event. 

Personally, I’d rather they would make a bold statement by refusing to compete in it but the FA will also look at the potential money earnt from being in the finals as well as jeopardising the Euro bid. 

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

With the UK attempting to secure a joint bid to host Euro 2028, there’s not a hope in hell that England would rock the boat by boycotting the event. 

Personally, I’d rather they would make a bold statement by refusing to compete in it but the FA will also look at the potential money earnt from being in the finals as well as jeopardising the Euro bid. 

Its probably the FA biggest money maker as except for that its probably the FA Cup. Even if the players boycotted they would send a scratch team, is enough players with no principles

• Like 1

Â