Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

It's real shame that Gardner hasn't made the grade.

It may well have all gone to his head (or other issues) but I also think that we the fans forget how difficult it is is for the Academy players to cope with not only our expectation but more importantly their own.

Gary was tipped as 'the next big thing" and in his first few appearances for the first team he looked OK but didn't really make a difference in a struggling team - however did he get a fair crack of the whip?

He was very, very good In his younger days, so what happened? He didn't become a shit player overnight. Despite all the flak fans receive there are many out there who know a player when they see one and GG was tipped as one to watch.

I have no idea what the real problem is, but I still reckon GG has talent and can make the grade. However I wonder if he still believes....

There are more players who were tipped to be the next big thing that fail to fulfill that promise than players tipped to star who actually go on and do it. So it is not that unusual that Gardner didn't make the step up, or the Moores, or the Fonz etc. There are so many reasons why it might not work out and even just dumb luck can play a significant part.  

It may well have all gone to his head (or other issues) but I also think that we the fans forget how difficult it is is for the Academy players to cope with not only our expectation but more importantly their own.

Gary was tipped as 'the next big thing" and in his first few appearances for the first team he looked OK but didn't really make a difference in a struggling team - however did he get a fair crack of the whip?

He was very, very good In his younger days, so what happened? He didn't become a shit player overnight. Despite all the flak fans receive there are many out there who know a player when they see one and GG was tipped as one to watch.

I have no idea what the real problem is, but I still reckon GG has talent and can make the grade. However I wonder if he still believes....

Gardners issue is the injuries he picked up have affected his chances and development. I have seen nothing to question his attitude, belief or commitment

Gardners issue is the injuries he picked up have affected his chances and development. I have seen nothing to question his attitude, belief or commitment

Purely and simply down to fitness. He's struggling to get back to match tempo because he's hardly played for the last 2 seasons.

It's a real shame and I hope we give him another year especially as we have seen how Delph has developed after overcoming injury.

• Like 1

^This. Come the end of the season, Gardner will turn 22, which means if he's given a new contract he'll be one of the 25-man squad. He's currently in roughly this place in the pecking order:

Delph

Westwood

El Ahmadi

Bacuna-as-CM-and-Lowton-as-RB

N'Zogbia?

Sylla

Gardner?

. . . and that's just if we don't sign anyone who can play in central midfield in the summer. He needs game time if he's going to make it as a footballer. If we know, really know, that there's a team who'll take him on a season long loan, including a full pre-season, and will play him most of the time, then maybe. But we need to consider whether a 7th choice CM who hasn't played a PL minute in 2 years is a sensible choice in a 25-man squad. 

I like him, and I hope he succeeds in his career. That might mean that it's best pursued somewhere else. 

Luc Nilis anyone....it can happen to the best and the worst, it can happen at the start of your career and at the end.

its football,sadly

it probably depends on whether we can get in anyone as good as Gardner could still become.

if we had to let him go to a Championship team I'd like us to have first dibs on buying him back.

give him a 1 year contract then hawk him for free £1 with a buy-back clause attached.

Edited by Con

The injuries have knackered him sadly although the way MM is going you'd think he'd had a dead leg instead of a cruciate!!

Think we'll let him go and hopefully he can build a career in the lower leagues and not go off course like say Michael Johnson did after getting injured at Man. City.

There's still time for him, as has been mentioned on here already look how long it took delph to get sorted out. I'd give him a years extension and get him right for preseason and see how we go from there. If he's not showing a good enough level for the bench come the start of the season get him out on a loan till Jan.

Do you have any idea how much work goes into coming back from a cruciate?

You are on here questioning his mentality?

Amazing.

• Like 1

Â