Stan Petrov

LondonLax

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3173330,00.html

Stan Petrov will be added to Villa's Hall of Fame.

The illustrious list of twelve top stars was created in 2006.

They include Gordon Cowans, Eric Houghton, Brian Little, Dennis Mortimer, Ron Saunders, Peter Withe, Paul McGrath, Peter McParland, Charlie Aitken, William McGregor, George Ramsay and Billy Walker.

After a deluge of fan requests over the past few months, Petrov will now take his place among the claret and blue heroes, after a terrific seven-year spell in claret and blue.

Petrov announced his retirement today but not before playing 219 games and scoring 12 goals for the club he joined in 2006.

He scored our Goal of the Season in 2007-08 with a blockbusting strike in the 6-0 hammering of Derby before picking up both Players and Supporters Player of the Year for his performances in 2008-09.

The following term saw him succeed Martin Laursen as captain and it was a job he took very seriously and one he excelled in, proving to be an inspiration for the younger players and a beacon of light for the more experienced stars.

He led the team to their third successive sixth-place finish in the Barclays Premier League and also captained the side to a League Cup final and FA Cup semi-final.

His final season also saw special moments, his goals against Sunderland, Everton and especially Chelsea proving to be vital ingredients in our successful battle to retain our top-flight status.

His biggest test, though, was his battle with leukaemia that he started waging in March 2012, just before the home clash with Chelsea.

Petrov is now in remission and getting back to a normal life after fighting the disease with courage and conviction.

Fans have applauded him in the 19th minute of every game since his diagnosis and their requests have led to the move for Petrov to be included among club idols.

Paul Lambert was thrilled when he heard the news.

He said: "That is a fantastic gesture and it will be tremendous for him.

"Every bit of praise for him is so, so deserved.

"What he has been through has been his biggest test ever. He has come through that fantastically.

"I don't think anyone can comprehend what he's been through.

"But in playing terms, I think he has been an absolutely fabulous footballer."

Petrov will be added when the club website's history section is redeveloped at the start of the 2013-14 campaign.

• Like 1

I think this is as fitting use for a 1,000th post as could be.

Stan. Hero. Perfect role model. Everything he did in both a personal and professional level seemed to warm the hearts of everybody around him. From his barn-storming debut season, when we all thought we had the next best CAM in the game at our club to his slow transition to DM and brilliant captaincy.The fans and press got on his back, but he plugged away and answered his critics with an outstanding 08/09 season which saw him sweep the awards dinner. Obviously admired by his fellow pros with players (most having never played with him) flooding to praise him and wish him the best. The common trend that came from this outflow of support was one underlying message. He was a top, top bloke.

Not only a role model on the pitch, but off it as well. Raising awareness for Leukaemia so that his suffering will not be in vain. I saw that interview with him last month and was shocked by how he looked. He was so different. However, what remained the same was that spark in his eye; and that will to succeed. 

Brilliant player, leader and role model. Brilliant father and husband. Thanks for everything Stan.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

Very proud that Stan has been added to Hall of Fame. A sad end to a model professional footballers playing career but life is much more important. Thanks for the year of tireless performances!

All the best to Stan Petrov, a very humble and decent fella who doesn't deserve this pain and suffering, especially at such a young age, no one does.

I think his presence will give Villa a big lift against Chelsea.

Safety assured. 

Sorely missed this season and last, a great player after a difficult first 18 months for us, would have been very easy for him to walk away when, let's be honest he showed little for us in those 18 months and people got on his back, just showed what fight and determination the blokes got.

He did have George Michael highlights in his hair though, that, I'm afraid is unforgivable.

Stan arrived at the club at the same time I was chosen to support the Villa, and quickly became my favorite player.  After a time of settling in, he became a rock and a leader, and affirmed to me that I indeed was part of a special club.

That settling in period, as referenced by many above, says a lot about Stan and the person, leader, and competitor he is.  He never gave up, never put his head down, and kept fighting, all attributes that have and will continue to serve him well.

All the best Stan, thanks for great example you set, and for helping me fall in love with Aston Villa.

It was inevitable for about a year that he would never play again but still a bit of a shock in some ways. Good to see the club have took care of him and his statement was very emotional from him.

Be a great addition to our coaching staff if that is something he would like to do. From the sounds of his statement though, unfortunately, I think he plans on moving away from football altogether and completing that particular chapter in his life.

Suffice to say, the reasons behind the closure of that chapter are totally understandable.

Loving the video on the official site of all of his goals. Great music too. Anybody know what that song is towards the end?

Edited by Tayls

He got a great reception at the end when he led the player's out. I've probably been at the last 25 of these lap of appreciations and this is easily the most I have seen stay behind as 90% of the Villa ends was still full. Fair play to around 50 or so Chelsea fans who stayed behind also and held up the number 19 posters.

I wasn't prepared for the way he looks to be honest. Such a scary **** disease. But it's in remission and he's up and walking about, so fingers crossed.

Honestly, I think a place in the hall of fame is a but much.Would he have got in if he didn't have the diesese? I don't think so. Sentiment has won over on that one imo.

Don't get me wrong, what he's managed off the field is wonderful, battling such a horrid illness. But his performances on the pitch haven't warranted an inclusion into our select list of just 12 players in the hall of fame.

Hate to be a buzzkill.

I was never really a fan of Petrov on the pitch until he wasn't there anymore.

I continually criticised him for not being decisive enough in the pass or indeed scoring enough goals but i was totally ignorant of the type of player he was and certainly ignorant of his importance to the team, that is until he wasn't there anymore.

We missed him badly this season. We needed what he did best. Leadership on the pitch, his ability to retain possession and the ability to regain that possession off the opposition.

I didn't understand how good he actually was and now there is no time left to actually appreciate what he did best.

Maybe i have a second chance with young Westwood. Possibly a mirror image of Petrov just before his prime?

I will certainly not allow my ignorance to judge a player again solely based on what he couldn't do and rather try to focus on what he could do.

Stan you are a top bloke, a great captain and ambassador for everything that is our club. You have shown far more dignity on and off the pitch battling your illness than i ever could as an overly critical fan and i wish you every success for the future.

Morpheus.. This is a top top quality post and truelly how I feel about the whole situation.. I could've been so pissed about the result today but seeing Stan come out after the game puts such a different slant on the game and life in general. Was so proud for Stan for coming out and the support all around shown to him today. In whatever he decides to do in the future I wish him all the best. Pretty sure the club will be supportive in everything he chooses to do. Wish him and his family all the best for the future.

Â