Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Personally think the applause can stop now.

If fans or the club really want to still continue supporting Stan, perhaps something special can be done on the day of the 19th game of the season. Like people going around before the start of the game with money collection tins or something like that. Obviously would need to be a home game as well.

• Like 1

Having recovered from cancer myself, my opinion is that the applause should stop now.

It is enough to know that people have supported you, and continue to do so, and doing something special annually or supporting cancer research in other ways would be beneficial and I suspect very much appreciated by Stan.

Needs to stop,it has done it`s purpose. Anything more will do just harm instead of the good message behind it. Still it was a nice gesture, but Petrov is part of the villa crew now, let`s not look back! :) 

For whatever reason I didn't know it was leukaemia. Had a friend die of leukaemia so I repsect Petrov even more if that's possible. Anyway, good interview,.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villas-stiliyan-petrov-exclusive-2145154

Stiliyan Petrov rates his struggle with leukaemia as being “worse than hell” and says retirement is the least of his worries.

His former Aston Villa team-mates are putting the final touches to their preparations for the Premier League campaign.

But Petrov, 34, is simply grateful to be alive, with his illness in remission after intensive ­chemotheraphy.

His worries are not yet over as he still has two more years of less gruelling treatment to endure.

But Petrov has proved a stoic character under the strain and his fortitude serves as an inspirational tale on the eve of the season.

He remains in the game, having taken on a new role at Villa after announcing his retirement in May following the devastating diagnosis in March last year.

The ex-Bulgaria midfielder, and Villa captain, was kept on by boss Paul Lambert in a coaching role to help mentor youngsters after his playing deal expired.

Petrov is enjoying the ­challenge of his new role at the Midlands club, but primarily loves spending quality time with his wife Paulina and sons Kristiyan and Stiliyan junior after his horrendous experience.

He told Mirror Sport: “I don’t know what Hell is like, but this has to be worse, I tell you that.

“It has been very tough but we never give up as a family, you can’t.

“There were a lot of questions going through our heads through all this period but we hope all the treatments are still going the right way and that is the main thing.

“I married the right woman and have two incredible kids, they have been wonderful, and my parents too.

“The strength and support they give me through these months has been amazing. They have pushed me to the limit because they knew I needed to fight.

Petrov-main-2145165.jpgMan in the Mirror: Petrov chats exclusively to our James Nursey

“As a player you fight to be in the team but this you are fighting for your life and that is the main thing.

“My wife knew that, so she was pushing me as well.

“Through this period I knew I needed to have enough strength. Sometimes with the chemotherapy you change your appetite.

“My taste completely changed but I knew I needed to eat and take fluids and be disciplined.

“If I was too tired and couldn’t do anything, she was feeding me.

“Now I wake up every morning happy to see my family.

“I am trying to get a little fitter and back to normal to what I used to do but these things take time – I have two years left on the tablets.”

Wigan-Athletic-v-Aston-Villa-Premier-LeaMan of the people: Petrov masks at a match against Wigan last season
Chris Brunskill

Petrov has received ­phenomenal support from Villa and their fans, Scottish champions Celtic - the club he left for Villa - and his Bulgarian ­countrymen since the blood disorder was diagnosed.

He complained of feeling ill at Arsenal two seasons ago, when he played 90 minutes under former boss Alex McLeish in a 3-0 loss.

It was dismissed as just flu, but blood tests revealed the devastating reality.

The hammer-blow realistically meant Petrov’s retirement was inevitable.

But he added: “Some of the boys were saying I was getting slow and needed to retire!

“It is tough, I wanted to become a footballer and worked so hard.

“To give up was really hard for me but it is a bigger prize here to fight for your life to be closer to your family for longer so I had no choice.”

Stiliyan-Petrov-retires-1877889.jpgStanding ovation: Fans clap Petrov, who wore 19, in the 19th minute of games
Action

Petrov is now passing his experience, mental strength, shrewd advice and admirable character traits on to Villa’s next generation working alongside development coach Gordan Cowans.

And he is quick to thank Lambert - who was a team-mate at Celtic - for his support.

Petrov, who has set-up a foundation to help those affected by Leukaemia, said: “I am working for Villa now and go in every day to see the boys.

“It is going to be a exciting season with a young, exciting first team.

“I am working with the reserve team and Sid Cowans. We try to make them ready to make the big step into the first team.

“At this age there are lot of ifs - if they can make it - but I want to help in this way and Paul Lambert who is my boss now.

“He is an incredible man who supported me so much.”

Stiliyan-Petrov-of-Aston-Villa-in-actionThe way we were: Stiliyan Petrov in his Aston Villa playing days
Getty

In return, Petrov also advised Lambert on potential first team signings, such as fellow Bulgarian Aleksandar Tonev - a 23-year-old winger who joined this summer.

He said: “Tonev is really exciting and I recommended him. Villa had a look for a couple of months and they have signed him.

“I think the fans will fall in love with him the way he plays. He plays with his heart and works for the team. He is two-footed and has something to offer to this team.

“I am very happy there is still hopefully a Bulgarian in the team but it is the manager’s decision.”

Villa fans would, of course, prefer to still see a fit-again Petrov back in the side, pulling the strings in midfield.

Those days are over, but the likeable Petrov is still clearly making an impact at the club. And long may that continue.

* Petrov was speaking after meeting Pete Gough, 40, who had run from Celtic Park in Glasgow to Villa Park, Birmingham, in 13 days in aid of Cure Leukaemia.

Didn't do the 19th minute applause today, although it looked like 90% of people in the ground did, despite there being no encouragement from the club. Will it end this season?

It was pointed out to me today that we (or the people who still do) don't actually clap in the 19th minute, it's the 20th. Feel stupid for not realising before.

I pointed this out towards the beginning of last season and some little scrote on Twitter was giving out like I didn't watch Villa and so didn't actually know which minute it happened in, when I was in fact (and I don't remember how or why it came up) just mentioning in passing that it was the 20th. I stopped arguing with him because he seemed to think it was a matter of opinion.

It happened/happens in the right minute (I know you know that, quoted person), but it's not the 19th. Symbolically it had to happen while 19 was on the clock.

• Like 1

Felt a bit awkward during it today to be honest. No message on the screens or hoardings so the message from the club is clear.

Lambert and Stan have both said its time to stop. Now Stan is in remission I'm sure he doesn't need reminding of the pain he went through at every game.

The club needs to release a statement saying that its time to draw a line under this terrible time for Stan and to look to the future now.

The clapping needs to stop now

It was pointed out to me today that we (or the people who still do) don't actually clap in the 19th minute, it's the 20th. Feel stupid for not realising before.

I pointed this out towards the beginning of last season and some little scrote on Twitter was giving out like I didn't watch Villa and so didn't actually know which minute it happened in, when I was in fact (and I don't remember how or why it came up) just mentioning in passing that it was the 20th. I stopped arguing with him because he seemed to think it was a matter of opinion.

It happened/happens in the right minute (I know you know that, quoted person), but it's not the 19th. Symbolically it had to happen while 19 was on the clock.

It's just almost amusing that everyone says "19th minute applause" when it clearly isn't. People who aren't the brightest seem to get overly offended about this topic for no real reason...

The club needs to release a statement saying that its time to draw a line under this terrible time for Stan and to look to the future now.

The clapping needs to stop now

Spot on. I think the only way it will stop, will be if the club release a statement about it, with perhaps a couple of quotes from Petrov himself.

It might halfheartedly still go on otherwise, which may look undignified.

It was probably started by casual fans who hardly ever go and got cheap tickets for the Malaga game.

Once the ground is full of real fans then it will probably stop.

I did not join in as to do so would just be condoning those that did.

Â