FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

I don't mind Russia hosting the world cup that much, yes England would have been a better choice, but Russia hosting the world cup is the same as Ukraine and Poland hosting the Euros 2 years ago, and they were fine. 

But Qatar, don't even get me started.

I agree with you about all the points here but would add that the bidding process for Russia should also be looked at in detail. 

Not sour grapes from England's side, but the fact that we submitted a very strong bid and only got 1 other vote in the first round of voting other than the England representative just smells a little bit of alternative agenda.

I don't mind Russia hosting the world cup that much, yes England would have been a better choice, but Russia hosting the world cup is the same as Ukraine and Poland hosting the Euros 2 years ago, and they were fine. 

What bothered me was not so much that England didn't get it but rather that Russia did. Like with the 2022 bidding they were easily the weakest candidates.

What bothered me was not so much that England didn't get it but rather that Russia did. Like with the 2022 bidding they were easily the weakest candidates.

The mistake you are making is thinking the relative strength of a bid has anything to do with the outcome.

• Like 4

There is literally no chance of Qatar losing the WC in 2022. None.

Even if FIFA is presented with absolute cast iron proof that the process was corrupt they can blame the whole sorry saga on bin Hammam who they have already banned for life. Twice.

It will absolutely happen.

• Like 1

Why would England get the 2018 WC by the way?

We only got one vote didn't we, surely it would go to 2nd place? I doubt anything will happen to be honest, but if it does, football will be in turmoil.

Even if FIFA is presented with absolute cast iron proof that the process was corrupt they can blame the whole sorry saga on bin Hammam who they have already banned for life. Twice.

I agree, I don't think it would go to a re-vote but even if they managed to prove the integrity was compromised how many of the voters would vote the exact same way in some sort of "told you I'm not corrupt" fingers up to our media?

Platini for example if he did vote for Qatar are people expecting him to hold his hands up admit he was wrong and vote for someone else? Cos I've never seen or heard anything to suggest he has that kind of personality

Then I think I throw in some of the legitimate although still ropey reasons for giving it to Qatar, how do you think the region will be worth to the sponsors when FIFA come negotiating? I think there's still an awful lot of money for these guys to make yet, another example, when (assuming here that they're going to have to in certain areas) they relax the drink laws for the official beer partner how much more do you think Budweiser are going to have to pay?

Edited by villa4europe

Im sure if any World Cup is cancelled then Germany would probably be the back-up option for most tournaments now as did a good job in 06 and has the stadiums and infrastructure to deal with it.

also the FA would have to get the ECB to cancel cricket tours and then ask for Wimbledon to be delayed as FIFA want the World Cup to be only sport in the host country at time of tournament

Not if the other confederations decide to boycott, which could very well happen. No teams, no World Cup.

Im sure if any World Cup is cancelled then Germany would probably be the back-up option for most tournaments now as did a good job in 06 and has the stadiums and infrastructure to deal with it.

also the FA would have to get the ECB to cancel cricket tours and then ask for Wimbledon to be delayed as FIFA want the World Cup to be only sport in the host country at time of tournament

Germany wouldn't get it so soon again. The obvious "emergency" host nation would be the USA or England in my opinion. 

Edited by maqroll

The mistake you are making is thinking the relative strength of a bid has anything to do with the outcome.

I remember thinking wouldn't it be hilarious is Russia and Qatar both won their respective bids.  I didn't think even FIFA could be that shamefully obvious.

Edited by Wainy316

USA are the backup for all FIFA tournaments. Air links, dozens of stadia available at a moment's notice.

Â