FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Also worth mentioning that Michael Garcia is not going to be using any of this new evidence in his report which is due next month.

Seems to me that the internal cover-up has started and we will therefore be reliant on external parties, such as Sony, to force through an independent and thorough investigation.

There are groups starting to emerge boycotting Sony, Budweiser, Visa and the other main sponsors - that's the most effective tool we have. I think there's a feeling starting to emerge that some of these global brands aren't particularly keen on being (publicly) associated with corruption, bribery and death.

There are groups starting to emerge boycotting Sony, Budweiser, Visa and the other main sponsors - that's the most effective tool we have. I think there's a feeling starting to emerge that some of these global brands aren't particularly keen on being (publicly) associated with corruption, bribery and death.

Do you have any links?

I'd sign up to every which one going.

Sony's only kicking up a fuss because they're sponsorship contract runs out after Rio, so they're more free to start questioning FIFA. Doubt we'll see the likes of Coca-Cola and Visa do the same since they're contracted till 2022.

• Like 1

Why has a keeper error leading to a disallowed goal in a friendly left you with a bad taste for the WC?

I think because they were already under suspicion for match fixing in that very game.

No way was that a 'keeper error'..

And the fact that they knew they were under suspicion and yet still went through with such a blatant attempt at cheating clearly shows they don't fear any repercussions.

A very good article over at the Guardian regarding sponsors and alike regarding the world cup bribing:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/08/world-cup-sponsor-sony-investigation-qatar-bid

The last paragraph states there is concern regarding a Qatari legal challenge if they were dumped though I read somewhere else, maybe BBC, that any legal challenge is impossible due to contracts signed pre-bidding.

I still don't understand why this is all coming out now. Pretty much all the issues being raised now were present when they first won the big in 2010 and it was just as obviously fixed then as it is now.

• Like 1

Why has a keeper error leading to a disallowed goal in a friendly left you with a bad taste for the WC?

That wasn't an error. It was very deliberate. As was the other own goal they scored that night.

I have no faith in Fifa to sort these match fixing issues out or lead an impartial investigation into world cup bribing.

The whole organisation is rotten to the core and needs fresh blood starting from the very top. Blatter should be banned from attempting to run for another term.

it'd be a real kick in the ego for bent if he was dropped a couple of games after losing captaincy though... would it be worth it in the long run, or do you take him aside during the week and say "look, gabby's really after putting the pressure on you now - you're starting at the weekend, but you've got 60 minutes to impress or i have a decision to make"

It's about proof though... And there being enough of it to cause a big uproar that forces change.

There must be a very disgruntled employee at Fifa who is very high up to whistle blow all of this information to the Sunday Times. Good on him or her... Let's just hope it doesn't go to waste and change happens.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I see that as completely over-egged.

Working on the assumption it's suspect, it's down to the motivation. Simply to win the foul or something more sinister?

The match was flagged, you'd be happy to let it slide and not investigate?

I still don't understand why this is all coming out now. Pretty much all the issues being raised now were present when they first won the big in 2010 and it was just as obviously fixed then as it is now.

Bonkers isn't it?

Reality is crashing in on profiteering.

Wait and see what the players say about playing in 30C+ Brazil, and then what they're thinking about 40C+ Qatar.

For Qatar not to lose it, I think they may have to pay bigger still, a lot bigger still. Inconveniencing the Prem, Bundesliga, La Liga and co ain't going to be cheap.

It's either that or come up with an idea to air condition stadiums, that'll be interesting.

Â