Libor Kozák

samjp26

5 minutes ago, jonno_2004 said:

Probably my main gripe to date with RDM. Why insist on playing a donkey up front? Desperately need another striker if he doesn't trust Ayew to play ahead of McCormack.

?

Kozak only went on for Gestede because of his hamstring, and he subbed him off before the end of the game. He was poor but around 65mins (?) doesn't sound like 'insistence' from RDM.

If you mean Rudy, last year I would've agreed with you but the first four games Rudy has looked dangerous with good movement.

I still think we need another striker, but I don't think after four games and the window still open you can criticise RDM for insisting on playing a donkey. Wait until he's played Kozak three more games and I'll agree with you :)

Edited by alreadyexists

My point was is that I'd have sooner rejigged the front line than swapping Gestede (who, to be fair, has looked a lot better in recent games) for Kozak (who was awful). We shouldn't have to resort to that tactically - Gayle is on fire leading the line for Newcastle and he isn't a classic 'target man'.

And as for Kozak being 'effective'..well, let's just say at least dictionaries are cheap nowadays.

I know what you mean. I think RDM is working with the tools he has though, Xia has indicated we're aiming on signing a striker so hopefully that will give us more options. Totally agree re Kozak, and I'm really disappointed. I had been thinking that we should give him a chance, but he looked so far off the mark yesterday it's scary. 

As I said in the Trans Spec thread Hernandez would've been brilliant to play along side Gestede, but I think that ship has sailed. 

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I know what you mean. I think RDM is working with the tools he has though, Xia has indicated we're aiming on signing a striker so hopefully that will give us more options. Totally agree re Kozak, and I'm really disappointed. I had been thinking that we should give him a chance, but he looked so far off the mark yesterday it's scary. 

As I said in the Trans Spec thread Hernandez would've been brilliant to play along side Gestede, but I think that ship has sailed. 

Don't get me wrong, I've been perfectly happy with RDM so far but think we have enough talent in the team that tactically he can set us up to not just be reliant on someone over the height of 6"2 up top. Anyway, I'll suppose we'll see next week depending on Gestede fitness/signings.

• Like 1

It was a mistake to put him on because he's the closest thing to a like-for-like swap for Gestede. He hasn't played football consistently for years and even if he had some quality he wouldn't have been effective due to his severe lack of match fitness and sharpness.

I don't like this target man system. I don't think Gestede has been good at all barring Rotherham, and that was mainly down to the terrible opposition in my eyes. If you're going to play with a tall target man, play wingers rather than two second strikers. We don't have them, however, so stick with the second strikers and buy an out and out finisher who makes intelligent runs for the second strikers to link up with and gets in the right place at the right time. A Jermaine Defoe-type.

What we're currently doing is combining the two systems and, unsurpringly, its proving ineffective against half-decent defences. Combine that with a weak midfield who neither consistently win the ball back nor keep possession and you find yourself on the back foot like we were for large parts of the second half against Derby. That puts enormous pressure on the defence and keeper and it only takes one silly mistake and it costs us points. It's already happened twice.

If we get things sorted further up the pitch it'll not only relieve pressure off the back line but we'll bury a lot of the chances we're already creating and create even more to boot.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the lad was really poor, he tried but he just never really been up to it

the chance he missed as well was a big opportunity

In (slight) defence, if you watch that chance again, there wasn't much goal to aim at and even if he had got it on target it would almost certainly have hit defender or goalkeeper. 

Nevertheless, a striker getting a free header in the box should really be hitting the target 90% of the time, especially with as much freedom to shape his body as he had yesterday. If he'd looked decent apart from that miss we wouldn't be harping on about it. 

He's been out for a long time, but nobody ever said football was fair. 

24 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

He was bad but that was his first competitive game for 6 months so he needs more game time to get upto match fitness. 

You could give this bloke all the games/time in the world and he still wouldn't be good enough for a League 1 side.

He doesn't even win headers. Utterly abysmal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Only has one year left on his deal so he will be released in summer anyways

Thank Christ. Yet another terrible terrible signing that leads to zero return on investment.

Edited by villa89

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

the lad was really poor, he tried but he just never really been up to it

the chance he missed as well was a big opportunity

I fully agree, i thought it was a shame as it was a good opportunity for him to show he can do it but he failed. He just looked so off the pace and lacked any real ability to do anything. That moment when he picked the ball up on the half way line and tried to run about summed the poor lad up for me. 

Â