Manchester United

BOF

Haven't Wigan only sold 5k tickets for that?

The community shield is a waste of time really apart from obviously the charity bit. They could play that game abroad and I doubt too many people would kick up a fuss.

is it even a charity event anymore?

just been looking at RedCafe to see what they're saying about Fellani and guess who randomly pops up?.....GlastonSpur. Who's byline under his name is "Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum."

I do wonder if there's only one GlastonSpur, or if there was an original GlastonSpur on one forum and the rest are just tributes/parodies.

I wouldnt say its a total waste of space. If Villa, god forbid, ever won the FA Cup, wouldn't you be exicted about another trip to Wembley, another chance to win (a small) trophy? It is a glorified friendly, but what a friendly. Yes apparently still raises money for charity.

just been looking at RedCafe to see what they're saying about Fellani and guess who randomly pops up?.....GlastonSpur. Who's byline under his name is "Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum."

:crylaugh:

I knew he hung out over there (he sees Man U as Spurs rivals now  :rolleyes:) but I didn't realise he had that tagline :P

I'd read RedCafe semi-regularly back in the O'Neill days and Glaston was a celebrity poster there long before Spurs were seriously challenging for top 4.

I do wonder if there's only one GlastonSpur, or if there was an original GlastonSpur on one forum and the rest are just tributes/parodies.

Like Dread Pirate Roberts?

I hope Wigan beat United this weekend.

How appropriate...

2_1200453_s.jpg

When I was in Malacca 2 months ago, I saw that ad plastered everywhere.

This ties in with a picture from the Phunnay internet picture that CrackpotForeigner posted and is one of the reasons we'll probably never compete with them again. They are signing commercial deals like this left, right, and centre (especially in Asia). They've got partnerships with a Thai motorcycle company, a Japanese tomato juice producer and a communications provider in Vietnam. That's to name only three of many.

by the way, have Manchester United had so many fans in England in the 70's, 80's (generally before SAF era)?

They have been the most popular club in England for a long time, probably going back to the 50s and the Busby Babes.  They benefited from a wave of public sympathy following the airplane crash which killed most of their first team and also from having British football's first superstar player in George Best.  I think even during the era of Liverpool dominance (which was probably comparable to the level of dominance Barcelona have had over Europe in the last five or six years) United were getting 10,000 more people through the gate at Old Trafford than Liverpool were getting at Anfield.  

Obviously the level of armchair supporters they have gained has gone through the roof since the formation of the Premier League, but Manchester United have sold out every week for fifty or sixty years.  It's not like Chelsea who were getting gates of 12-15k for home games as recently as the mid 1990s. 

I would love it, right. I would love it if we beat them this season.

I think it's quite likely we will.

From reading your posts it seems we're quite likely to win the league!

I haven't quite gone that far yet. I think we're certainly in for top 8 though. I think we'll be a dangerous, dynamic team this season, and I think that Man Utd without Fergie will be pretty ordinary. Therefore I reckon we'll win once against them this season, and there's a good chance we can win both games.

• Like 1

Â