Manchester United

BOF

I think any talk of United's demise or Moyes being out of his depth are extremely premature and likely to be shown to be wide of the mark in the fullness of time.

I think the fullness of time is what Moyes should be worried about. It will take time for him to put his stamp on this side. It is still Fergie's machine that is winning games. Moyes' mark will likely be less impressive than Fergies unless we're suggesting they're of the same quality. Ergo I think United's deterioration will be gradual as Moyes' influence takes hold.

So we're now past the "haha Utd are now shit because they lost some pre-season games, if only Fergie was in charge they'd be ace" phase and because they are looking pretty much like how SAF left off its a case of "Its a long term prediction that at some point in the future there will be a dip in form and that will be due to Moyes being crap and would never have happened under Ferguson"

Thats pretty much got all the bases covered :D

crap from commentators last night about Fergie time was typical Sky rubbish. no criticism of MOurinho at all from match commentators but if Moyes played no striker they Fergie comparisons be out in force

So we're now past the "haha Utd are now shit because they lost some pre-season games, if only Fergie was in charge they'd be ace" phase and because they are looking pretty much like how SAF left off its a case of "Its a long term prediction that at some point in the future there will be a dip in form and that will be due to Moyes being crap and would never have happened under Ferguson"

Thats pretty much got all the bases covered :D

I think the latter makes much more sense. Moyes seems to have avoided doing a Moyes by actually using strikers (plural) so that's the short term prediction averted. But if you accept that it takes a while for any manager to put his stamp on a side (for better or for worse) then give it time. Sit back and relax and watch it pan out. The fact I'm wishing for it to happen is neither here nor there. Moyes is no Fergie, so Moyes' United will be no Fergie's United. We just have to wait for Fergie's momentum to disappear.
  • Like 1

Man Utd will be fine.

They'll probably finish 3rd this season, which i think the board will accept as inevitable. 

Next season will be crunch time for Moyes, when he'll be expected to challenge for the title and/or win a cup.

They seem to rely a lot on goals from Van Persie. If he gets one if his injuries and Rooney remains inconsistsnt it could make for a very interesting season.

they said same about Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Rooney. have done ok since they left or stopped scoring as much

They seem to rely a lot on goals from Van Persie. If he gets one if his injuries and Rooney remains inconsistsnt it could make for a very interesting season.

they said same about Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Rooney. have done ok since they left or stopped scoring as much

I don't see what that has to do with the current team?

Is Kagawa injured?

According to my United mate, Kagawa had a messed up pre-season. He was back and forth to Japan for international games after injury and never really had a settled pre-season for United. He did well when he played but they're certainly taking their time re-introducing him back into the side.

It's a bit of historical context.  People have accused Manchester United of overly relying on a certain player for years and pondered what would happen if that player is suddenly unavailable.  They have always been able to cope. 

United excelled once van Nistelrooy left. In hindsight he was detrimental to the overall effect of the team to his own ends. Although at the time that's not the kind of fate they'd have dared to tempt.

It's a bit of historical context. People have accused Manchester United of overly relying on a certain player for years and pondered what would happen if that player is suddenly unavailable. They have always been able to cope.

How relevant is historical context now the whole team and management are different?

well when Van Nistelrooy left United had Saha (who is probably a rung behind Hernandez and Rooney in terms of skill and finishing) they had a young Ronaldo and Rooney and dont think anybody expected Ronaldo to have that burst of form like he did from 06. he always threatened to with his potential.

who is to say RVP gets injured Rooney wont score again or maybe Kagawa could come into his own

How relevant is historical context now the whole team and management are different?

That is something we will find out as the season progresses.  The original point is still a valid one though. 

But on a broader scale it's not a phenomenon unique to United. Many teams have over-relied upon certain players and more than survived after they left - despite the fear of them doing so. So I think the fact that United is now a different setup is largely irrelevant.

He didn't get a fair crack last season either, always played on the wing and such. He is a playmaker, a very good one at that, who can score and set-up goals with ease.

Unfortunately though he isn't the footballing god that is Wayne Rooney, so being a winger will have to do.

Free Shinji.

He didn't get a fair crack last season either, always played on the wing and such. He is a playmaker, a very good one at that, who can score and set-up goals with ease.

Unfortunately though he isn't the footballing god that is Wayne Rooney, so being a winger will have to do.

Free Shinji.

Last season his fitness wasn't there as got a few injuries. However, I'm pretty sure fergie would've been playing him in his right role this yr.

Â