Manchester United

BOF

A bit surprised at the number of goals Zlatan is allowed to score with his head. Probably already scored more this season than he has in any of his previous seasons in any league.

Since PL CB's are supposed to be strong and good in the air this was the area I thought they would be able to handle him to some extent.

He is big and strong and a bit nasty, but I'm very impressed by this as it's always been the area he's considered his weakest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sne said:

A bit surprised at the number of goals Zlatan is allowed to score with his head. Probably already scored more this season than he has in any of his previous seasons in any league.

Since PL CB's are supposed to be strong and good in the air this was the area I thought they would be able to handle him to some extent.

He is big and strong and a bit nasty, but I'm very impressed by this as it's always been the area he's considered his weakest.

Yes and the Championship is so physical that small players with good technique will struggle. Myths that still exists and it's great that it's Zlatan that show them as false. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Hate to say it but I miss Fergie. 

I don't miss his personality or their dominance but I miss their football.

I miss him too. A true great who was great for the game. That last season in charge United had a shit team, by his standards and the play wasn't all that great but they still won the league. It is fair to note that  it wasn't the strongest premier league that season though. He definitely got out at the right time.

On 12/18/2016 at 09:45, NoelVilla said:

Yes and the Championship is so physical that small players with good technique will struggle. Myths that still exists and it's great that it's Zlatan that show them as false. 

So far this season...

Premier League - 88 headed goals in 169 games on 6875 crosses - Headed goal every 78.1 crosses.
Serie A - 78 headed goals in 170 games on 7008 crosses - Headed goal every 89.7 crosses
La Liga - 91 headed goals in 158 games on 5778 crosses - Headed goal every 63.5 crosses
Bundesliga - 63 headed goals in 135 games on 3720 crosses - Headed goal every 59 crosses

So I wouldn't exactly say it was a myth as such, because Italy is also known for being quite physical and generally decent defensively. 

What I find surprising is that the 2 leagues with by far the least crosses have comfortably the most goals from crosses as a ratio. Sounds like a combination of crap defending and crap tactics/analysis from managers in those leagues. 

• Like 1

Victor Nilsson Lindelöf is supposedly almost a done deal according to Swedish papers.

The Benfica president is in Manchester to finalize the deal with Man U paying about £40m for the 22 y.o Swedish international CB.

Now Lindelöf is very talented and I have high hopes for him, but that sort of money for  a defender with only 1 season of senior football is mental.

Say what you will about the Portuguese league, Sporting, Porto and Benfica sure are good at spotting, developing and getting money for their young players.

Not that this transfer has actually happened yet...

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Say what you will about the Portuguese league, Sporting, Porto and Benfica sure are good at spotting, developing and getting money for their young players.

I suppose it helps if you know Jorge Mendes

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sne said:

Victor Nilsson Lindelöf is supposedly almost a done deal according to Swedish papers.

The Benfica president is in Manchester to finalize the deal with Man U paying about £40m for the 22 y.o Swedish international CB.

Now Lindelöf is very talented and I have high hopes for him, but that sort of money for  a defender with only 1 season of senior football is mental.

Not that this transfer has actually happened yet...

Linked more heavily today. £38 million is ridiculous. Two of Fergies best signing in his last 10 years were Vidic and Evra, how much would those two cost in today's market considering United paid about £15 million for the two combined.

Its certainly a sellers market and English teams are more than happy to pay the price.

On 20/12/2016 at 23:43, Nicho said:

Linked more heavily today. £38 million is ridiculous. Two of Fergies best signing in his last 10 years were Vidic and Evra, how much would those two cost in today's market considering United paid about £15 million for the two combined.

Its certainly a sellers market and English teams are more than happy to pay the price.

Ferguson used to spend huge money as well. The fee for Rio Ferdinand alone would still be considered big money today, £30m for a young defender nearly 15 years ago. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Ferguson used to spend huge money as well. The fee for Rio Ferdinand alone would still be considered big money today, £30m for a young defender nearly 15 years ago. 

Im not saying he didnt, for along time United were the big spenders in the league. 

Vidic and Evra were playing for lower teams in the Europa Cup/Champions league, no way do you take players like that for under £10 million any more. 

5 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Im not saying he didnt, for along time United were the big spenders in the league. 

Vidic and Evra were playing for lower teams in the Europa Cup/Champions league, no way do you take players like that for under £10 million any more. 

Yes fair point. I guess the scouting networks are a lot more developed in Europe now. 

Didn't Rio have a heart condition too? I'm sure I read it came up in his medical but Utd went through with the deal. Risky, but it turned out to be a pretty good value but of business.

I remember when he was holding out on a new contract because he wanted £100k a week... how times have changed. 

Â