Manchester United

BOF

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

José  really is a prat isn't he? This week it's a little dig at De Gea. 

I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong (and probably be right to do so) but from this perspective he does look an awful lot like a guy who has one trick, and that trick has stopped working, but he doesn't know any other tricks, so he keeps trying it because it worked in the past. 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think that was a dig at De Gea and more that they dominated the game and he had nothing to do

Having read that again you may be correct and I've misinterpreted that. 

Still a prat in my book ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mourinho is fine, but he's gotten himself into a bit of a mess. Things are a little more difficult nowadays. There isn't a clear best club in the league, and it's no longer just 4 clubs constantly making the champs league. Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, and United all are good enough for top 4 and win the league. Then you have Everton, Southampton, and even Leicester (if they get their act together) that can cause trouble. 

Also play Martial and Mkhi ffs. Ibra needs better service other than Lingard and Rashford who is a forward.

As my mate says, if Mourinho gets a 3 match ban for kicking a water bottle then Conte will probably miss the rest of the season, assuming it's all done consistently of course :P

Jose is a dead man walking it seems.

Discussion on the radio yesterday made a good point, Jose's 'personality' and behaviours are only really acceptable if he's winning. Without the wins it just doesn't work at all and he comes across as a grade a tosser. He looks permanently angry and stressed. Is the weight of expectation too much for him? Has coming back to England with the expectation to be the man screwed his head up?

Compare to someone like Klopp who can get away with pretty much anything on the field because he is so likeable as a person.

Jose has always been great and I don't use that word lightly at galvanising winners, building a team spirit and ethic which you either join or go and at motivating players.

I doubt he has lost those qualities, I suspect the issue is more the players themselves because three managers in a row have struggled with them.

• Like 1

It is certain players by some accounts.  Whingers.  Senior players who think that by throwing the toys they can get a manager turfed out.  It has worked for the previous 2 managers in fairness, and they're trying with this one too.  The meeja will do their bit of course, because those players are where the meeja get a lot of their info.  Then Joe Public swallows the agenda.  It's amazing that when certain players are dropped from the team, the team lineups don't get leaked to the press.

Don't buy the narrative I'd say.  I doubt all is as bad as is being portrayed by the press.  It'll take time to get the squad on the same page (read : get rid of the poisonous old guard).  Unfortunately for Jose, their very own fat mess is on way too big a contract to ever be sent packing.  He'll just eat his way through the next few years picking up his ~£300k a week.

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

It is certain players by some accounts.  Whingers.  Senior players who think that by throwing the toys they can get a manager turfed out.  It has worked for the previous 2 managers in fairness, and they're trying with this one too.  The meeja will do their bit of course, because those players are where the meeja get a lot of their info.  Then Joe Public swallows the agenda.  It's amazing that when certain players are dropped from the team, the team lineups don't get leaked to the press.

Don't buy the narrative I'd say.  I doubt all is as bad as is being portrayed by the press.  It'll take time to get the squad on the same page (read : get rid of the poisonous old guard).  Unfortunately for Jose, their very own fat mess is on way too big a contract to ever be sent packing.  He'll just eat his way through the next few years picking up his ~£300k a week.

If Rooney is 'the poisonous old guard' (I'm not quite sure if you're saying that, but you seem to be implying it) Mourinho could always stop picking him, even if he can't sell him. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If Rooney is 'the poisonous old guard' (I'm not quite sure if you're saying that, but you seem to be implying it) Mourinho could always stop picking him, even if he can't sell him. 

He has stopped picking him.  Rooney has started 1 league game since the 18th of September (@ Swansea 6/11).  He's now a Europa League starter and Premier League substitute.

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

He has stopped picking him.  Rooney has started 1 league game since the 18th of September (@ Swansea 6/11).  He's now a Europa League starter and Premier League substitute.

So he's picking him in the Europa League then?

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

So it's because of Rooney that Mourinho isn't picking the like of Mkhitarian and Martial, has decided to ostracise Shaw and Schweinsteiger and won't play the (seemingly) only formation that their record signing manages to do well in.

That's a lot of power that Wayne holds in his stubby little hands.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

So he's picking him in the Europa League then?

Yes Hanoi.  He's picking him in the Europa League.  I say as much within the very post you quoted asking the question.  It's to give the first team players a break I imagine.

Â