Manchester United

BOF

Rio only became world class CB when Vidic turned up.

First 3 years he was poor, got banned for missing a drugs test and then got dropped after the infamous Boro Roy Keane game.

Worth bearing in mind with people hammering John Stones, it takes time.

Haven't seen much of Lindlof but exciting Sweden are starting to produce some good young players again. Emil Forsberg is another you'd imagine will be in the premier league before very long.

I wouldn't say Rio was poor in his first 3 years at Man Utd. He'd already been excellent at Leeds for 2 years as a £18m player, and 3 years at West Ham prior, so was clearly proven in the league. 

Unfortunately I've seen nothing in Stones to suggest he isn't anything other than bang average at best. I hope I'm proven wrong for England's sake 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Unfortunately I've seen nothing in Stones to suggest he isn't anything other than bang average at best. I hope I'm proven wrong for England's sake 

Same here, he's error prone and very shaky. Just not seeing what got him the move tbh. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Rio only became world class CB when Vidic turned up.

First 3 years he was poor, got banned for missing a drugs test and then got dropped after the infamous Boro Roy Keane game.

Worth bearing in mind with people hammering John Stones, it takes time.

Haven't seen much of Lindlof but exciting Sweden are starting to produce some good young players again. Emil Forsberg is another you'd imagine will be in the premier league before very long.

Stones is just shit.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I looked very hard, and found an image that showed why he's £50m-worth of talent:

passport.jpg?width=269&height=314

Usually still requires them to be good at football though... 

22 hours ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say Rio was poor in his first 3 years at Man Utd. He'd already been excellent at Leeds for 2 years as a £18m player, and 3 years at West Ham prior, so was clearly proven in the league. 

I went to school with a load of United fans (as I'm sure anyone growing up in Brum in the 90s did) and they all were pretty critical of him in his first season and then in the second he had the drugs ban. He also lost his England place around then.

From 2006 him and Vidic were bosses at the back, not just in the premier league but in europe aswell.

Just because rio was very good at some age doesnt mean stones wont be because hes not as good as rio at that point.

pretty well known CB's are usually 25+ until they reach their prime. Stones was easily one of the top 3 CB's that pep could choose who fits into the system hes trying to play at the time.

We only have to look at koscienly who had a very dodgy 1.5years (when he was like 25/26? for people to write him off...and then  after to become easily top 10/5 CB in the world. (people who dispute this dont really understand how cb's work on an individual level).... CB's take time. Especially when one country are falling behind to to develop proper cb's in modern game

Edited by gharperr
why do my edit get double posted?
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Mkhitaryan's goal is up there with the best ever, absolutely incredible. Shame he was offside. :P 

Robert scored a similar goal for Newcastle a few years ago. that was better as I think he was onside ;)

On 23/12/2016 at 23:41, Dr_Pangloss said:

Stones is just shit.

Yeah he is, the media get so carried away by bigging up English talent. They still still bang on about about Wilshere and Barkley being world beaters and they too are both shite

If Zlatan scores twice today he passes Messi and becomes the most prolific scorer of the calendar year in top European football.

Messi on 51 goals. Zlatan currently on 50.

Not bad for a 35 year old!

By letter of the law, the goal was correctly ruled out for dangerous play.

However, with no intent and with his foot not making any contact with the keeper, it was a poor decision. I've seen overhead kicks given a goal that were more dangerous than what Zlatan did for this one.

Â