VillaGoMarching

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They've already had to navigate a terrible injury crisis in November/December....Maddison and Van De Ven were out for months and they still got a decent number of wins in that period. And Bentancur of course....

We've gone all season without our equivalent of Maddison (Buendia) and De Ven (Mings) whilst juggling midweek football and we've had more wins that Tottenham all season. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

They didn't have europe though. We have had three acls (season enders) and a cluster of our key players out for sustained periods. We have had by far the worst injury crisis in the league. Besides they have been in europe a lot more times recently than us and have built a squad pertaining to this level. They spent more than double than us in the summer too. Yet they have no european competition 🤣

We've had injuries but I'd say Brighton and Newcastle have been more impacted during the season with who they've lost. Newcastle basically spent the winter months having to play the same 11 for ten weeks. Man. United also had injuries....but feck them.

As terrible as it was to lose Mings and Buendia for the whole season at least it didn't happen during September otherwise the squad really would've been stretched and someone like Chambers would've played far more than just the odd half here and there.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We've had injuries but I'd say Brighton and Newcastle have been more impacted during the season with who they've lost. Newcastle basically spent the winter months having to play the same 11 for ten weeks. Man. United also had injuries....but feck them.

As terrible as it was to lose Mings and Buendia for the whole season at least it didn't happen during September otherwise the squad really would've been stretched and someone like Chambers would've played far more than just the odd half here and there.

It is the pure and nasty nature of having three acls injuries that makes our injury crisis far greater than other clubs. Three season enders is freak and unheard of.

Edited by Villa_Vids

8 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is the pure and nasty nature of having three acls injuries that makes our injury crisis far greater than other clubs. Three season enders is freak and unheard of.

We were lucky in the sense that two happened before the summer window closed so we could bring in 2 loan replacements. 

It will be interesting to see how we line up next season with the injured players back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

We were lucky in the sense that two happened before the summer window closed so we could bring in 2 loan replacements. 

It will be interesting to see how we line up next season with the injured players back. 

It impacted our transfer business a bit as I reckon if Mings had stayed fit we'd have sold Digne. Then Pau might have played the first half of the season as coming in from LB (and played centrally in the games Konsa would be at RB) so who knows if our defence would've been stronger or weaker as a result as Digne has generally played well in majority of his prem starts this season.

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You have to remember that we can't truly replace those key players that have been injured, we got cover in but did not replace like for like imo. We could have been weaker of course in terms of squad depth, I understand and respect that point of view.

12 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Van Der Ven looks a phenomenal defender I have to say. Saying that, with their high line like us he's going to keep getting hamstring injuries. 

Only a matter of time before he moves to a big club.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

If only VAR didn't mess up that goal vs Liverpool we'd be 4 points ahead of them now.

Imagine we miss out on the Champions League because of that!

I fully expect Liverpool to avenge that in the return game as Spurs celebrations wound them up

11 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

If we miss out on the CL it will be our own fault. We've had plenty of poor performances this season. Both man united games for example. 

Our tiny squad is a mitigating factor. 

15 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

If only VAR didn't mess up that goal vs Liverpool we'd be 4 points ahead of them now.

We could say the same thing about the Sheffield United goal VAR ruled out. 

However, we’ve had plenty of poor performances that have had far more impact in the long run. 

• 2 weeks later...

I rewatched the second half of the game vs them and I was surprised how little there was between the two teams until the sending off. Their first goal was well worked (though Pau was a bit slow on stepping up) and the second was from our mistake. Outside of that I'd say it was pretty even with both teams nicking the ball by pressing high and creating decent chances (we were 7-3 on shots at one point). And that opportunity that McGinn created just before seeing red, if we'd scored there it could have been a very different game. I was all doom and gloom after the game, but watching again, it really did hinge on a couple of things going their way. Kinda made me more optimistic about the run-in, weirdly enough.

• Like 2

They will announce who's bought the naming rights for the stadium sometime in the beginning of May apparently. That's land them a pretty penny.

3 hours ago, sne said:

They will announce who's bought the naming rights for the stadium sometime in the beginning of May apparently. That's land them a pretty penny.

See for me naming rights have to be done when the stadium is opened as it sticks.  Bolton play at the Reebok for me, Stoke at The Brittania.  Arsenal will always be The Emirates now even if someone takes over sponsorship same at The Etihad.  Its a one shot deal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

See for me naming rights have to be done when the stadium is opened as it sticks.  Bolton play at the Reebok for me, Stoke at The Brittania.  Arsenal will always be The Emirates now even if someone takes over sponsorship same at The Etihad.  Its a one shot deal.

If only the world loved by S-Platt's logic.

They'll make an absolute **** tonne from this deal. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sne said:

There a company called massive rocket polishers?

Edited by fightoffyour

11 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I kind of agree, but Spurs have done a great job of not letting this stadium acquire a name up until now, it's just generally referred to as Tottenham's new stadium.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I kind of agree, but Spurs have done a great job of not letting this stadium acquire a name up until now, it's just generally referred to as Tottenham's new stadium.

Yeah agreed but whoever it is will need to be in it for the long run.  I am guessing 10 years plus.

Hopefully it's a daft name so we can all laugh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Yeah agreed but whoever it is will need to be in it for the long run.  I am guessing 10 years plus.

Hopefully it's a daft name so we can all laugh.

Seen Google, Oracle or some American Bank mentioned. 

Â