Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

26 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Is that seriously a thing over there?  You people are nuttier than I thought.

It is because supermarkets are heavily buying into petrol stations. I’m literally sat in my car about 200 meters away from a BP petrol station that is also a Marks and Spencer’s. Down the road in Waterloo there’s a Shell garage that has recently started also being a Co-Op

Theres a mark up on the prices but if you are late home from work it is very convenient. Sometimes it’s great to annoy people by buying loads of stuff and holding up the queue of idiots that could have paid for their fuel at the pump ;)

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Is that seriously a thing over there?  You people are nuttier than I thought.

You still have that gap at the side of your toilet doors?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That a lot of Americans seem have this thing about British food being bland.

There’s a lot of cuisines better than ours but theirs ain’t one of them.  

I've always thought the same, whenever I've gone to America 95% their food has been chicken or beef with tomato sauce and the blandest cheese possible.  Slightly different dishes maybe but the same ingredients.

16 hours ago, Seat68 said:

You still have that gap at the side of your toilet doors?

Not in the toilets where we, as individuals, have any choice in the matter.  You’re choosing to shop at petrol stations, though.

Nice try, Limey!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

The bland part of our cuisine is the remnants of the culture brought over from Britain a few hundred years ago.  We had to hang on to something as a reminder of where we came from.   It was either that or powdered wigs.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I understand that a lot of people from the Indian subcontinent, are in the habit of going into restaurants serving British food and demanding the blandest thing on the menu!

21 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Some word removed has stolen our household bin this morning or last night. Had to pay £20 for a replacement which seems unfair, I would understand if we had broken it ourselves but how is it our fault if some twunt has taken it? **** hate this shithole country sometimes. 

Years back we had a brand new bin as the lid broke on ours. First time putting it out someone nicked it, but I could see it in their garden from an upstairs window.

I knocked on their door and asked if they might have taken it by mistake “absolutely not” was the reply.

I told them I could see if from my house in their garden, next to their old bin…

“Oh, oh, I don’t know what has happened”

You’re a thief is what happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've always thought the same, whenever I've gone to America 95% their food has been chicken or beef with tomato sauce and the blandest cheese possible.  Slightly different dishes maybe but the same ingredients.

Depends, I love tex mex, cajun and bbq style food, American does have some great food up there with my favourites, real bad for you weekend comfort food, probably does help if you like meat especially if you've got the time to slow cook it 

The cheese is beyond terrible though

Edit - and I'm not actually sure what English cuisine is anymore, I'd say the availability of ingredients, even sauce packets and cooking kits is way more than what I've found in Europe, tesco et al are really inclusive of world cuisines meaning what the English eat is actually well rounded and more varied than most countries, maybe our food matches our history and we just plunder all the things we like and make it our own... 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Depends, I love tex mex, cajun and bbq style food, American does have some great food up there with my favourites, real bad for you weekend comfort food, probably does help if you like meat especially if you've got the time to slow cook it 

Edit - and I'm not actually sure what English cuisine is anymore, I'd say the availability of ingredients, even sauce packets and cooking kits is way more than what I've found in Europe, tesco et al are really inclusive of world cuisines meaning what the English eat is actually well rounded and more varied than most countries, maybe our food matches our history and we just plunder all the things we like and make it our own... 

I think most foreigners just think of Roast Beef and Fish and Chips when they talk about British food. 

Then again in my opinion there is nothing bland about Roast Beef if you have great Gravy* and decent horseradish.  Onion salt on your roasties. 

Similarly with stews and pies. Yes they will be bland if they are shit but good ones with proper ingredients can be amazing. I've had some unbelievable pasties from bakers in The West Country. 

And the standard of quality restaurants in this country is massively improving, lead by London and now filtering around the country, most noticeably Birmingham. British Chefs are highly regarded world wide and I suspect these days if you interviewed a panel of proper global foodies they would actually say that Britain is actually a culinary hot spot now. 

* obviously not to be combined with fish and chips. 

Yeah I agreed, I'd also say restaurants raise another problem British cuisine has - whenever I've had an English breakfast or a Sunday roast or fish and chips abroad they just don't get it, the imitation of British food is really poor, breakfast is usually poor quality ingredients, roast is usually bland and fish and chips is usually cooked from frozen 

I'm not saying I've eaten that stuff loads abroad because I haven't but whenever I have it's not been good, the yanks do a god awful English breakfast so it's not hard to see why they don't get it

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

The bland part of our cuisine is the remnants of the culture brought over from Britain a few hundred years ago.  We had to hang on to something as a reminder of where we came from.   It was either that or powdered wigs.

The best food you get in the States is Mexican but if you get to claim that then we get to claim Indian.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There’s never really been a recognizable  “American Cuisine.”   It’s pretty much been a combination of some regional ones that developed along with foreign ones brought in with immigrants.  Pioneers ate whatever meat they could catch or raise along with starch and generally didn’t have access a lot to flavor it with, but I wouldn’t exactly call that a cuisine.  Obviously, a lot of people still eat meat and potatoes, but usually not exclusively.

Cheese has never been as big a thing here as in Europe and the limited variety of American ones reflects that.

I actually like doing a thanksgiving dinner, it's a bit of fun, green bean casserole is also underrated (but making it with a tin of mushroom soup?! Come on you lazy bastards! *) 

That said American biscuits and gravy is up there with their gun laws, healthcare and date formatting, absolute wrong uns 

* that's another thing on american cooking, watching baking shows and everything is out of a packet, fondant is a packet, butter cream is a packet, the fruit fillings are from packets, I'm amazed American bake off doesn't let them use pre made sponges because that's about the only thing they do

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

maybe our food matches our history and we just plunder all the things we like and make it our own... 

Best way to be eh? 

Sielbu2.jpeg

15 hours ago, il_serpente said:

There’s never really been a recognizable  “American Cuisine.”   It’s pretty much been a combination of some regional ones that developed along with foreign ones brought in with immigrants.  Pioneers ate whatever meat they could catch or raise along with starch and generally didn’t have access a lot to flavor it with, but I wouldn’t exactly call that a cuisine.  Obviously, a lot of people still eat meat and potatoes, but usually not exclusively.

Cheese has never been as big a thing here as in Europe and the limited variety of American ones reflects that.

What actually is meatloaf (the food, not the singer before the jokes start). 

I've seen many references to it but never actually seen it. 

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have had it a few times, the last was in a diner in Memphis. We don't really have a comparable dish here. It's nice, very nice. The best way to describe it is a mince beef terrine. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Minced beef, maybe some sausage meat, boiled eggs, breadcrumbs and carrots. Usually served with a gravy.

Great comfort food with mashed potatoes and green beans ideally.

Pretty much any diner style restaurant over here will have meatloaf on the menu.

• Thanks 1

Â