Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He shouted at me. A lot. 

But then afterwards my boss (not the VP) told me it was a really good meeting and I'd done well. 

If that was a good meeting with that guy then i never want to be in a bad one. 

This Thing his thought you should understand: was that a realistic expectation? I mean, should you have understood it, but you didn't because you hadn't tried, or hadn't sought help earlier? On what basis was he cross with you?

I don't really ever see the need for actual shouting at work, it's totally inimical to productive communication. 

• Like 2

My newish manager is like that, and he can't understand why when we get new staff, they don't want to stay and leave within a couple of months.  He has no patience while they learn the ropes and has a go.  It wasn't so bad for me, he did treat me like shit for the first week but I knew I could do the job to a good standard so just kept my head down and basically told him to piss off at one stage.  The thing is he is so proud of being a bastard to people.  I just will never understand that attitude.

6 hours ago, choffer said:

Don't buy drinks from whsmith then. They seem to run their drinks fridges to keep their drinks at a constant 5 degrees above room temperature. Seems a complete waste of electricity to me.

WH Smith are one of the culprits for me, are you stalking me? :D

People on trains... yes pretty much all of them.

But particularly those who think that their bag is more deserving of a seat than other passengers. Oh and who also think if they don't catch your eye you either won't see the seat next to them currently filled with their crap or you won't ask them to move it.

Oh and the people who talk on their phones without the slightest consideration that just perhaps nobody else is interested in their lives.

As for people listening to music without headphones, WTF... when did that become acceptable?

Never mind bagels going out the window, next time someone sticks their music on for the whole train to endure I'm quiet likely to post their phone out the nearest window.

Oh and lastly.... me..... for getting on a train without headphones which is the number 1 rule of public transport! Idiot.

13 hours ago, Xela said:

That's good! I hate room temperature drinks... has to be ice cold for me. 

This.

Fizzy water, beer, cider, vodka, even milk on my cereal all has to be ice cold. So does fruit like apples grapes and mangoes. can't stand them warm.

Room temperature cheese? Oh yes. Lovely.

Tea, earl grey, very hot, if it goes slightly off boiling hot it goes in the microwave or down the sink.

One extreme or the other for me.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

People on trains... yes pretty much all of them.

But particularly those who think that their bag is more deserving of a seat than other passengers. Oh and who also think if they don't catch your eye you either won't see the seat next to them currently filled with their crap or you won't ask them to move it.

Oh and the people who talk on their phones without the slightest consideration that just perhaps nobody else is interested in their lives.

As for people listening to music without headphones, WTF... when did that become acceptable?

Never mind bagels going out the window, next time someone sticks their music on for the whole train to endure I'm quiet likely to post their phone out the nearest window.

Oh and lastly.... me..... for getting on a train without headphones which is the number 1 rule of public transport! Idiot.

Agree with all of this, though I'd say the bag thing isn't that they think their bag is more deserving of a seat, it's to stop someone from sitting next to them because they're selfish clearings in the woods. But I'm guessing you knew that really.

As for people playing their music without headphones and blaring it out in shitty quality in public, there's a massive poser nobhead at my gym who does that in the changing rooms and the showers. He also uses one of those oxygen restriction masks (that apparently don't actually work all that well) and it makes him look like such a tool, and a bit like Predator since has has dreads.

In short, people being selfish and thoughtless in public pisses me right off.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This Thing his thought you should understand: was that a realistic expectation? I mean, should you have understood it, but you didn't because you hadn't tried, or hadn't sought help earlier? On what basis was he cross with you?

I don't really ever see the need for actual shouting at work, it's totally inimical to productive communication. 

It was a totally unrealistic expectation.

But that is how he works. He asks for something totally unrealistic, shouts at you for not achieving it, but ends up with something in between that is acceptable for a normal person.

He's a psychopath. But he gets results so it's hard to argue.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Without context he does sound like a word removed ... i'm with Darren I'd have probably made that my last day there 

If I reported directly to him then I might be the same. But I don't. My boss is much more reasonable so I usually have her as a buffer.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If I reported directly to him then I might be the same. But I don't. My boss is much more reasonable so I usually have her as a buffer.

even so , he's a cock ... doesn't have the right to shout at people , he's not Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

trouble is of course making a stand is all well and good but doesn't pay the bills  ... so I guess it's not as easy as it sounds to tell shouty man to **** himself ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Agree with all of this, though I'd say the bag thing isn't that they think their bag is more deserving of a seat, it's to stop someone from sitting next to them because they're selfish clearings in the woods. But I'm guessing you knew that really.

Ah now you see, I will occasionally leave my bag on the seat next to me assuming there are still plenty available in the carriage, as I pee a lot on trains. Could be something to do with the motion or maybe I just quite like the whole Star Trek style door set up. Maybe it's a fetish. Either way during the average hour and a half journey I could go for 3/4 piss breaks.

I'll clear the bag when we start running out of room but trust me, I am doing it for your benefit. 

This really is political correctness gone mad... unless there's more to it that I haven't read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/nyregion/ny-regents-teacher-exams-alst.html?_r=0

"The Board of Regents on Monday eliminated a requirement that aspiring teachers in New York State pass a literacy test to become certified after the test proved controversial because black and Hispanic candidates passed it at significantly lower rates than white candidates."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

even so , he's a cock ... doesn't have the right to shout at people , he's not Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

trouble is of course making a stand is all well and good but doesn't pay the bills  ... so I guess it's not as easy as it sounds to tell shouty man to **** himself ...

I never said he wasn't a cock ;)

Taking a stand would be career limiting to say the least.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

he...shouts at you...

They say that one way to succeed in business is to mimic the actions and mannerisms of your boss. Maybe therefore you should respond to him shouting at you by replying very loudly :).

On 14/03/2017 at 13:02, Stevo985 said:

It would halve the queue straight away and then mean it cleared twice as quick. maybe even quicker. You going round the roundabout would stop the flow of traffic from the right meaning more gaps for those waiting to go straight on or left. And when a gap is there, two people get to go instead of just one.

But as the right hand lane cars start going round the roundabout, you clog up the gaps where the left hand lane (and the right hand lane) would have got onto the roundabout.

So the overall net effect is cars flow through at the same rate, except the first batch of right hand lane cars squeeze through faster and the first batch of left hand lane cars get through slower. 

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But as the right hand lane cars start going round the roundabout, you clog up the gaps where the left hand lane (and the right hand lane) would have got onto the roundabout.

So the overall net effect is cars flow through at the same rate, except the first batch of right hand lane cars squeeze through faster and the first batch of left hand lane cars get through slower. 

Only if the right hand lane formed a constant stream of cars, and in that scenario the right hand lane would clear a lot quicker than they would have done if they all sat in the left lane.

In reality, it would be gap - two cars go, one left and one round the roundabout. The one round the roundabout would create a new gap for the next two cars to go etc etc

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Would anyone be surprised if Smiffs was the next big chain to go under? 

I don't know how they survive? 

Magazines? Stationary? Music? Books? It doesn't have a USP. It provides things that are cheaper elsewhere, apart from magazines, but they are in decline anyway in general.

• Like 2

Â