Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Something tangentially connected to this occurred to me yesterday. Approaching a roundabout, two lanes. Left lane is "left turn or straight ahead", right lane is "right turn only". Most drivers (me included) are going straight across, and the roundabout is fairly busy, so a fair old queue has built up in the left lane, with cars filtering on steadily. The right turn lane is completely empty. It struck me that the obvious thing to do would be go into the right lane, sail past everybody, and go all the way around the roundabout, and back on to the main road on the other side. I didn't do it, because it just felt like slightly bad etiquette. What Does The VT Panel Think? 

I did this just last week for the first time. Got totally burned by a guy who saw exactly what I was doing and got all militant about it.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Something tangentially connected to this occurred to me yesterday. Approaching a roundabout, two lanes. Left lane is "left turn or straight ahead", right lane is "right turn only". Most drivers (me included) are going straight across, and the roundabout is fairly busy, so a fair old queue has built up in the left lane, with cars filtering on steadily. The right turn lane is completely empty. It struck me that the obvious thing to do would be go into the right lane, sail past everybody, and go all the way around the roundabout, and back on to the main road on the other side. I didn't do it, because it just felt like slightly bad etiquette. What Does The VT Panel Think? 

On a 2 lane entrance to a roundabout, I was taught that right lane is for turns past 12 o clock. (imagine you're entering the roundabout at 6 o clock)

It's bad etiquette but if it was 100% safe then go for it.

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What Does The VT Panel Think? 

Do it!. Be a little Italian, a little French, experience the freedom of the road.

Also, it aids traffic flow and reduces congestion for everyone else, so is a selfless act of sacrifice.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Still to the rules and everyone knows where they stand. Start making exceptions here and there, and then everyone is a law unto themselves!

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I do this all the time.

My justification is if everyone did it, that queue would disappear

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do this all the time.

My justification is if everyone did it, that queue would disappear

Would it though? Wouldn't it just mean the people in the left lane would be waiting even longer to get on the island?

Genuine question, I can't work it out.

edit: That's just reminded me of the time I found out 'island' was a Midlands term. It's not nice being laughed at.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Would it though? Wouldn't it just mean the people in the left lane would be waiting even longer to get on the island?

Genuine question, I can't work it out.

edit: That's just reminded me of the time I found out 'island' was a Midlands term. It's not nice being laughed at.

It would halve the queue straight away and then mean it cleared twice as quick. maybe even quicker. You going round the roundabout would stop the flow of traffic from the right meaning more gaps for those waiting to go straight on or left. And when a gap is there, two people get to go instead of just one.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just before Christmas, I had a month or so working on an business park in North Tyneside, and this was always the ace in my sleeve, if the traffic was bad on my way home. It got me home a lot quicker, and gave me the added pleasure of annoying Geordies.

6 hours ago, DK82 said:

When I pop to the shop and want a bottle of water and the ones in the fridge are freezing cold

That's good! I hate room temperature drinks... has to be ice cold for me. 

• Like 3

On 13/03/2017 at 20:42, Stevo985 said:

I have a meeting tomorrow where I have to present something to the VP of the company.

Except I have literally no idea how to do it. I don't understand it. But I'm supposed to. And I have to present the explanation to him.

It's like that Peep Show episode where Mark has to give that big presentation and stays up all night and then realises, minutes before the meeting, that it's all shit and he has nothing to present.

I'm going to end up hiding in the car park.

On 13/03/2017 at 20:47, RimmyJimmer said:

Let us know how it goes.

Hope that helps :D

He shouted at me. A lot. 

But then afterwards my boss (not the VP) told me it was a really good meeting and I'd done well. 

If that was a good meeting with that guy then i never want to be in a bad one. 

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

I don't want room temp, just slightly chilled. I don't want brain freeze.

Similar to my "piping hot food" complaint. I want food that is hot, but edible. I don't want food that is so hot I can't touch it for 10 minutes!

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

I don't want room temp, just slightly chilled. I don't want brain freeze.

Don't buy drinks from whsmith then. They seem to run their drinks fridges to keep their drinks at a constant 5 degrees above room temperature. Seems a complete waste of electricity to me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, choffer said:

Don't buy drinks from whsmith then. They seem to run their drinks fridges to keep their drinks at a constant 5 degrees above room temperature. Seems a complete waste of electricity to me.

that's fascinating you've identified something I kinda knew but hadn't formed in to a conscious thought

WHSmiths in Hammersmith Westfield, I always have to remind myself not to buy a drink in there on my way through as their fridges have been 'broken' for a year.

I also avoid the one at the train station, as their fridges appear to be broken and serving up luke warm drinks.

Hadn't put the two together as a company policy of serving tepid drinks. But you're right.

Would anyone be surprised if Smiffs was the next big chain to go under? 

6 hours ago, choffer said:

WH Smith are one of the culprits for me, are you stalking me? :D

Â