Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Virgin do offer an ADSL option which uses BT's infrastructure, but their 'fibre' option doesn't.

Gotcha. I heard about it some years ago, so ADSL would make sense. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Gotcha. I heard about it some years ago, so ADSL would make sense. 

Virgin is the result of all the cable companies buying each other out. The cable companies all had their own infrastructure to the premise. Virgin are currently relaying for fibre to the premise in areas they provide service.

Virgin offer ADSL (resell BT Openreach) for the areas where they don't have their own infrastructure.

• Like 1

How many of these phone calls do I get a day? Too many.

"Hi, It's so and so from shit company here. I am just following up on the email you sent me last week/yesterday/last year/last month. Can you please confirm this has been resolved."

1. Thanks for putting me on the spot you cock,I email dozens/hundreds of people a day... let me just trawl through all my emails to refresh my memory. Excuse me for being rude, but who the **** are you again?

2. If I emailed you then why didn't you just email me back, you tosser?

On 08/10/2016 at 17:37, chrisp65 said:

As a kid I used to spend my summers thinking up more and more elaborate ways to get in to Butlins for free and spend the day in there. using the swimming pool, getting lunch, bumping the arcade games, getting in the beer yard, pinching stupidly pointless things like mops or eggs, being lost and getting my made up name announced over the tannoy. Getting a tray or a bin or something, walking around the sunbathing area picking up everyone's empty flagons of pop for them and getting the 10p deposits back for myself.

We would stand on the train station and offer to show people where Butlins was for 10p. They'd give us the 10p, we'd take them out of the station and nod and the great big pastel building across the road with Butlins written on it and say 'there it is' as we ran off.

The more I think about it, back then I must have been close to being feral.

Yes, you've clearly come a long way since then :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 08/10/2016 at 23:34, StefanAVFC said:

Comic Sans on anything other than a primary school project is a red flag.

A female manager in our building writes her company emails in it :( I mean ... how do you even broach that subject?  I've decided it's best not to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

A female manager in our building writes her company emails in it :( I mean ... how do you even broach that subject?  I've decided it's best not to.

I'm sure Rob would have a suggestion for you.

• Like 1

I occasionally throw in comic sans just because I find it amusing how much is annoys people. It's most fun in mails about business critical failures.

Prod server 1 has shit the bed and the backups didn't run. lol. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

How many of these phone calls do I get a day? Too many.

"Hi, It's so and so from shit company here. I am just following up on the email you sent me last week/yesterday/last year/last month. Can you please confirm this has been resolved."

1. Thanks for putting me on the spot you cock,I email dozens/hundreds of people a day... let me just trawl through all my emails to refresh my memory. Excuse me for being rude, but who the **** are you again?

2. If I emailed you then why didn't you just email me back, you tosser?

This one should maybe go in the things that cheer you up thread, but while we're on the subject of emails / calls at work...

A guy who is a reseller of our products, emailed us to complain that I'd only sent him details of one of the things he'd asked for. I checked what I'd sent, and resent it (although all the information was there on two separate attachments). He then mailed me back again, saying I was deliberately not giving him the information he needed, and we were awful to deal with etc, etc. I double, double checked again, and was scratching my head as to why he couldn't see that I'd answered his query first time. In the end I called him, and got an ear full. I asked him if he was having an issue opening the second attachment, and as I was starting to suspect, he asked me, "what second attachment?" I told him to click on the little down arrow, next to where the first attachment was, and he should be able to see it. He went a bit silent for moment, and then got a bit flustered. I wished him a good day, and had a little chuckle.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My wife who does building surveying of schools says that dyslexic kids find it easier to read comic sans. Unsure if its true and how she would know. 

Can't remember when, probably uni but have been told Arial is the best for those with dyslexia. Again I have no idea other than being told that at least 10 years ago.

On 08/10/2016 at 23:34, StefanAVFC said:

Comic Sans on anything other than a primary school project is a red flag.

Oh yes, totally this. I mean only an absolute numpty would use comic sans for anything apart from a primary school project.

The thing with it is the more you see it, the more it seems to annoy people, which is absolutely the thing to be avoided at all costs. Gratuitous use of comic sans is just asking for trouble, asking for people to see you as a buffoon, a person of low taste, dubious personal hygiene and someone who rightly has no friends.

Thankfully that sort of eejit is not allowed on the internet, and probably is incapable of working a computer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My wife who does building surveying of schools says that dyslexic kids find it easier to read comic sans. Unsure if its true and how she would know. 

It looks more like handwriting (according to the small amount of dyslexic work I did a long time ago). The letter 'a' is a good example, who writes an a like that?  The letter 'g' looks like a number 8 in some fonts. Also it has good separation between r and n so they don't look like m when they are together. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

40 minutes to drive less than less than a mile out of the city centre tonight. For no **** reason at all.

Well presumably, there WAS a reason. It's just that you don't know what it was. 

Seriously though, Leeds is the same. I'm starting to find the traffic situation unbearable. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well presumably, there WAS a reason. It's just that you don't know what it was. 

Seriously though, Leeds is the same. I'm starting to find the traffic situation unbearable. 

You'd think so. My route home has a couple of areas where a vast breaking down or having an accident will bring everything to a halt miles away. Which has actually happened twice in the last couple of months.

Tonight though? Even worse than that. Traffic backed up further than ever, moving slower than ever. And then I crossed a junction and nothing. Usually you'd see something that caused it. Even the traffic across the junction was fine. Checking the usual traffic sites they just call it congestion.

It's an open secret the council wants to discourage cars in the city centre and are going to manufacture congestion to do it. Methinks they fiddled with the traffic lights to give it a go. 

Utter words removed.

Â