Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I eat more chicken than any other meat (although it's not my favourite, it's cheap and a healthier choice than pork, beef and lamb), but I've got nothing on my brother. As a kid he would have eaten chicken for lunch and dinner every day, given a choice. He didn't really like any other meat. He's a bit better now, but I dread to think how many chickens he's eaten in his life. 

I don't have much hope that people are going to stop eating chickens, or eggs. It does seem rather more attainable to stop them being kept in conditions that are essentially torture, though. Yet the chickens in that article are the ones that are kept in 'good' conditions, and we're still allowing more battery farms to be built in this country, which I think is abhorrent.

On another note, what is it with plumbers who agree to take on a job, agree a time, then just don't bother showing up or calling. rocket polishers.

Edited by Davkaus

57 minutes ago, darrenm said:

And cycling is better than all of them.

That will be the exhilaration of the power you feel having cycled 4 miles to catch up with a car and admonish them for not giving you 500 foot clearance at the junction when they passed you :)

The fact that in my experience pretty much everyone I've ever heard using or paraphrasing the saying "the exception proves the rule" is always using it incorrectly.

• Like 1

I've got a nice cut in my hand from work. Annoying but it happens.

What pisses me off is that I've got it from a peice of lagging around some pipework.

The sole purpose of this laggings life is as a health and safety feature, and yet it's sharper than the knives in my kitchen. Go figure.

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

The fact that in my experience pretty much everyone I've ever heard using or paraphrasing the saying "the exception proves the rule" is always using it incorrectly.

I have to admit, I don't understand it, so I don't use it.

Instead, in that scenario I usually I say something like "yeah, that's an odd 'un"

On 3/10/2016 at 14:37, Davkaus said:

This is incredibly stupid. You might be ok, in the same way you might be alright if you drive your car in to a brick wall. There's a very real chance of serious organ damage or death as a result of mixing otherwise safe doses of over the counter medicines with alcohol.

But really? They'd have you believe there's a very strong chance of becoming a heroin/crack addict for doing it a couple of times, but the reality is, it's not true at all. 

I'm sure there is a risk that it could potentially ever so slightly damage organs if you mix tablets with alcohol, but meh... I live on the edge. 

Edited by PieFacE

26 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But really? They'd have you believe there's a very strong chance of becoming a heroin/crack addict for doing it a couple of times, but the reality is, it's not true at all. 

I'm sure there is a risk that it could potentially ever so slightly damage organs if you mix tablets with alcohol, but meh... I live on the edge. 

That reminds me.  Pharmacists.  You're a newsagent in a white coat.  Give me my prescription / nurofen / packet of fisherman's friend without the third degree, kthanxbye.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think most people use it incorrectly, including myself. 

I guess in this instance, if you use it in the correct sense that would make yourself the exception that proves the rule ;)

3 hours ago, BOF said:

That reminds me.  Pharmacists.  You're a newsagent in a white coat.  Give me my prescription / nurofen / packet of fisherman's friend without the third degree, kthanxbye.

Please, don't ever mention this to my Mrs. Its much more than that. I'm actually brain washed with facts like, "always wash all the fairy liquid off the glasses an dishes, its poisonous in large doses". An "many placebos are actually still given for depression". Also, which is a good one "Rat poison is actually warfarin, in smaller doses".

Told you I was brain washed, I could go on forever.

Guess this is another of what seems to be a weekly series of "Cancer can F*** right off" posts.

Was only with my aunt in Melbourne two weeks ago and I hear that she's died this afternoon. Horrible business.

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Guess this is another of what seems to be a weekly series of "Cancer can F*** right off" posts.

Was only with my aunt in Melbourne two weeks ago and I hear that she's died this afternoon. Horrible business.

Sorry to hear that dude.

20 hours ago, BOF said:

You might just be being facetious, but they're highly regulated, well educated clinical staff, who are legally liable for drugs dispensed within their pharmacy.

If they give you drugs that are detrimental to your health, they're just as much at fault as the doctor who prescribed it and they could be struck off. They're there as an important safeguard against incorrectly prescribed medication.

Edited by Davkaus

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You might just be being facetious, but they're highly regulated, well educated clinical staff, who are legally liable for drugs dispensed within their pharmacy.

If they give you drugs that are detrimental to your health, they're just as much at fault as the doctor who prescribed it and they could be struck off. They're there as an important safeguard against incorrectly prescribed medication.

Yeah it was slightly facetious.  The element that wasn't facetious is where it's not a prescription and based on a real interaction.  You go in looking for a specific cough medicine (drowzy Benilyn) because you know that one works quickly for you, and they try to sell you a different one, because the one you asked for happens to have addictive qualities and junkies drink it by the bottle (this wasn't a great part of the city either).  So if they can avoid selling that one then they do.  It's on your f**king shelf.  It's a normal cough bottle.  It's not like I'm trying to wangle an illegal drug out of you.  The questions felt tantamount to me having to convince her I wasn't a junkie.  Regardless of what you'd argue as her doing some kind of due dilligence, I resent that line of questioning and I suspect many would.  After it became clear she was just being obstructive, I terminated the conversation by giving her the most condescendingly dismissive laugh that I could muster (and I'm very good at those), walked out and went to a pharmacy in a less dodgy part of town where their prejudices were less ingrained.

Well that's just a prick with a power complex. :P

I'd generally avoid the big chains if possible, their pharmacists are more and more being pushed in to pretty much having sales targets, and getting patients (and they are patients, not customers) to take the brand which generates the most profit, and their pay is way lower than market rates so they don't tend to get the best pharmacists anyway.

FWIW, I'm not a pharmacist, just an IT minion that had no idea what they actually did until I worked with them for a few years.

• Like 1

Â