Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea, you'd never write anything official in it, 

That's not strictly true.

Where my wife works, they send out some official post in comic sans. It's about knowing you're target audience. She works with families that, er, need a little help along the way. Anything sent out in any format that looks in the slightest bit official doesn't get read or acted on. Anything unsolicited gets binned.

People just don't open mail. Then they don't read it if it even slightly looks like it's potential stress.

So they get a text or a pm or a dm or whatever medium that client prefers that basically says 'hey, cool dude type person. We will be sending you a letter, look out for it, there's something you need to do/sign/return and there's also an argos voucher in there. Stay cool y'all'.

Then they send out the post, hand written address, a comic sans letter absolutely as brief as possible, in a square white envelope, not a rectangle like it might have heavy duty documents. Not brown like another fine or summons.

That has a proven track record of getting the highest response rate from some people.

Possibly one for the boring thread.

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

That's not strictly true.

Where my wife works, they send out some official post in comic sans. It's about knowing you're target audience. She works with families that, er, need a little help along the way. Anything sent out in any format that looks in the slightest bit official doesn't get read or acted on. Anything unsolicited gets binned.

People just don't open mail. Then they don't read it if it even slightly looks like it's potential stress.

So they get a text or a pm or a dm or whatever medium that client prefers that basically says 'hey, cool dude type person. We will be sending you a letter, look out for it, there's something you need to do/sign/return and there's also an argos voucher in there. Stay cool y'all'.

Then they send out the post, hand written address, a comic sans letter absolutely as brief as possible, in a square white envelope, not a rectangle like it might have heavy duty documents. Not brown like another fine or summons.

That has a proven track record of getting the highest response rate from some people.

Possibly one for the boring thread.

holla y'all is the vernacular I believe.

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Nah, I'd have to interview them just to see if they were actually mental! 

I’ve heard of graphic designers getting jobs with CVs intentionally badly designed. I think you’d have to be good to make it look intentionally bad though, if that makes sense.

Edit;

one thing I hate seeing is this on the right

modern-clean--resume-template-ms-word.jp

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’ve heard of graphic designers getting jobs with CVs intentionally badly designed. I think you’d have to be good to make it look intentionally bad though, if that makes sense.

Ahh yeah, heard about something similar with companies posting a deliberately, really badly designed advert for web developers/designers as a cry for help.

How dare he strive for personal improvement. The egotistical prick

I hope he contracts rickets. Lets see how 'leg day' goes then you broccoli eating cockwomble. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm amazed by how many people put their hobbies or interests on their CV.

When I'm screening, I always take it as "shit, I don't have enough experience to fill this piece of A4".

I've always taken the hobbies section as a kind of roundabout way of saying something about your personality - likes playing football therefore good team work skills and probably personable. Anything that can't do that (or doesn't reflect well) shouldn't be there.

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm amazed by how many people put their hobbies or interests on their CV.

When I'm screening, I always take it as "shit, I don't have enough experience to fill this piece of A4".

As a rule I pay it no interest when I'm recruiting but every once in a while it comes in handy. 

I interviewed someone recently who said he like to restore penny farthings in his spare time so the first question I asked him in the interview was about that. 20 minutes later and he was still talking about the subject. No further questions were needed by then.

• Haha 1

I kinda agree with @chindie and @choffer

My view is you can teach a monkey with a stick to do most jobs , but what you might not do is get on with that person or they might not get on with other people in the office and  ruin the vibe etc .

so hobbies at least gives you an idea of their personality .. if they have cycling on it then you know they are going  to chase anyone that doesn't give way on the stairs around the office for 20 minutes so they can shout at them and  if they are a woman and write about their cats you know they are single but also damaged goods and that if you get drunk and give her one she's going to end up cooking your pet rabbit a few weeks later ....

Probably mentioned it before but my "In" to the big account I run was football , true I didn't send a CV in for that but equally we just couldn't quite crack it with the client , he took your calls now and then but rarely returned them  , until one day he let slip he was a football fan and bingo 2 hours later we were still chatting football  ..and the rest is history

so whilst I probably wouldn't include hobbies on my CV for the nature of jobs I'd be going for  , I do kinda find it useful to see on CV's I receive for the purpose of the interview and finding out about that person

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

Â