Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Outraged politicians with nothing important to do , if you're that bored go back to your constituency and do some community service or something

Two British politicians have written to the NFL calling on it to stop the Washington Redskins from playing in London later this year because of concerns about the team's name.

Labour Party MPs Ruth Smeeth and Ian Austin wrote in a letter that the NFL "should consider changing the name of the Washington franchise or, at a minimum, send a different team to our country to represent the sport, one that does not promote a racial slur".

The Redskins are set to face the Cincinnati Bengals on 30 October at Wembley Stadium as part of the NFL's International Series.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Outraged politicians with nothing important to do , if you're that bored go back to your constituency and do some community service or something

Two British politicians have written to the NFL calling on it to stop the Washington Redskins from playing in London later this year because of concerns about the team's name.

Labour Party MPs Ruth Smeeth and Ian Austin wrote in a letter that the NFL "should consider changing the name of the Washington franchise or, at a minimum, send a different team to our country to represent the sport, one that does not promote a racial slur".

The Redskins are set to face the Cincinnati Bengals on 30 October at Wembley Stadium as part of the NFL's International Series.

9ae766c353cb04f77233032536a51df8.jpeg

4 hours ago, BOF said:

9ae766c353cb04f77233032536a51df8.jpeg

Those politicians are wasting their time, and they have far better things to be doing (on that I agree with Tony), but let it be said that the Racistnames do, in fact, have a racist name, not by accident or 'by changing standards of history' or something, but because their racist former owner specifically chose the most racist word he could get away with. 

They should, in fact, be pressured to change their name, though obviously Ms Smeeth and Mr Austin think rather a lot of themselves to assume they'll be able to do so. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

University group projects. Relying on others, basically. 

Yep, had exactly the same, made 2 official complaints to Wolverhampton uni about it, there were 2 instances where I had to do a group project that influenced my final grade, in my last year I had a project where they paired you off with a random kid doing a different course, I was doing commercial management he was doing engineering, they joined hem up, he was useless

It's bullshit

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Those politicians are wasting their time, and they have far better things to be doing (on that I agree with Tony), but let it be said that the Racistnames do, in fact, have a racist name, not by accident or 'by changing standards of history' or something, but because their racist former owner specifically chose the most racist word he could get away with. 

They should, in fact, be pressured to change their name, though obviously Ms Smeeth and Mr Austin think rather a lot of themselves to assume they'll be able to do so. 

made me think of this  , which probably backs your view above somewhat rather than my more ambivalent view on this

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

made me think of this  , which probably backs your view above somewhat rather than my more ambivalent view on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyC3rPDSSVg

Ha, yes! I'd forgotten about that. 

A worthwhile reminder of the Racistnames' history for anyone wondering what I'm talking about:

'This Washington football team was named by one of the most vehement racists in the history of American professional sports. When George Marshall bought the team in 1932, they were called the Boston Braves. He changed the name — to a slur, because he was a racist — and moved them to Washington. He made “Dixie” one of the team’s fight songs and refused to hire black players well into the 1960s. The NFL integrated in 1946 but Marshall’s team held out until the federal government actually forced them to field black players in 1963. The all-white Washington teams of the 1950s and 1960s were among the worst in the league, but segregation was more important to Marshall than winning football games. The NFL had actually already been racially integrated until black players were suddenly banned in 1933. Interviews with owners suggest that Marshall was responsible for the ban.

This is the man who named the team and white supremacy and racism obviously informed his every decision. In his will he insisted that his foundation not spend any money on “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.” It is extremely hard to believe that this man selected the name — specially changed the name from a less offensive term for American Indians to this term — to “honor” anyone, the usual argument used by the team’s modern defenders.'

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/12/frank_luntz_hired_by_washington_football_team_to_convince_people_name_isnt_horribly_racist/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe I'm being simple but couldn't the NFL (I assume they have a commissioner, or 'head of'?) just demand that they change their name otherwise they would be banned from playing in the league? 

Kesha.

We don't know how true her claim is but you can't just publicly claim your manager has raped you without any charges being brought against him

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Kesha.

We don't know how true her claim is but you can't just publicly claim your manager has raped you without any charges being brought against him

Absolutely this! What's really pissed me off is that it seems that the consensus in the media is that her claims must simply be believed, regardless of the evidence, or lack thereof. Frightening.

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Kesha.

yeah it pissed me off too, especially when all those other celebrities put the boot in. i wonder if i said i got raped would taylor swift donate 250k to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Maybe I'm being simple but couldn't the NFL (I assume they have a commissioner, or 'head of'?) just demand that they change their name otherwise they would be banned from playing in the league? 

No, you're not being simple, and yes the NFL has a commissioner, by the name of Roger Goodell. I think familiarity with his life and career would indicate why he would never ever ever take drastic steps like suspending the team, and to be honest I'm not really keen on such a massive move, not least because it's simply not going to happen, but also because it would risk creating a backlash that was ultimately counter-productive.  

Instead, the hope is that Dan Snyder, the owner of the team in question and the man who more immediately has the power to 'make it so', simply comes to his senses and stops trying to deny what is in fact plainly obvious. He hasn't done so yet, but faith in human nature and the power of negative publicity leads me to hope one day it'll happen. 

Just seen these stats on another forum discussing the Michael Gira allegations.

Number of women in the US impregnated against their will each year in the U.S. as a result of rape: 32,000
- Rank of U.S. in the world for rape: 13th
- Percentage of sexual assault and rape victims under the age of 12: 15 percent
- Percentage of rapists who are never incarcerated: 97 percent
- Percentage of rapes that college students think are false claims: 50 percent
- Percentage of rapes that studies find are false claims: 2-8 percent
- Number of rapes reported in the military last year: 16,500
- Pentagon's estimated percentage of military assaults not reported: 80-90 percent
- Chances that a woman in the U.S. is raped versus gets breast cancer: 2 to 1

Huffington Post

If accurate that's something that should piss people of.

• Like 1

The woman interviewing Chris Robshaw at half time in the rugby has pissed me off. She just asked him if he's "finally finding his feet in international rugby?" What a stupid, insulting and ignorant question. Shows that she hasn't watched much of the sport she's covering over the last four years. Perhaps even worse is the fact that she's been incredibly disrespectful and insulting to her interviewee. Fair play to him for fielding the question so gracefully. 

Â