Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thanks for that, Tony. Only second part applies now, though, as I just heard he died in the last hour. I'm going to the hospice anyway, to see his missus. And I've already planned to go out tonight with a couple of our old mates. I have no doubt we will get righteously drunk. It's what he would have done. 

Like is for the last part obviously. Sorry to hear this Mike, thoughts are with you.

It was the anniversary of my Nan passing, yesterday. The pain never goes away, but it gets easier with time.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Very sorry to hear that Mike.  Is it the team four posts down this page?  There's also one on this page.

Neither of those. It was an even earlier pic, but probably posted later. We recreated it with a reunion shot at my birthday/retirement party in Jan 2014. Maybe it wasn't in the RG thread, but it's on VT/OT somewhere. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Thanks for that, Tony. Only second part applies now, though, as I just heard he died in the last hour. I'm going to the hospice anyway, to see his missus. And I've already planned to go out tonight with a couple of our old mates. I have no doubt we will get righteously drunk. It's what he would have done. 

sorry to hear that 

Edited by tonyh29

This probably should, albeit in the very minor leagues :)

Inspired by the current general chat topic involving maple syrup ...

Restaurants, cafés etc over here that include 'maple syrup' as an ingredient/side in some of their breakfasts (e.g. French toast).  It is never maple syrup.  It is always golden syrup, a far more viscous alternative, and one which is about a fifth the price of actual maple syrup.

I don't mind being served golden syrup.  I don't mind the price I'm paying for the meal.  Just stop f**king lying to me and telling me it's something it's not.  Actually, here's an experiment.  Next time you serve me golden syrup as maple syrup and we all pretend it's maple syrup, I will pay with a ten cent coin and we'll all pretend it's a ten euro note.  I think that's fair :thumb:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

This probably should, albeit in the very minor leagues :)

Inspired by the current general chat topic involving maple syrup ...

Restaurants, cafés etc over here that include 'maple syrup' as an ingredient/side in some of their breakfasts (e.g. French toast).  It is never maple syrup.  It is always golden syrup, a far more viscous alternative, and one which is about a fifth the price of actual maple syrup.

I don't mind being served golden syrup.  I don't mind the price I'm paying for the meal.  Just stop f**king lying to me and telling me it's something it's not.  Actually, here's an experiment.  Next time you serve me golden syrup as maple syrup and we all pretend it's maple syrup, I will pay with a ten cent coin and we'll all pretend it's a ten euro note.  I think that's fair :thumb:

I have lost count at the number of places that advertise Buffalo wings ...but serve plain old chicken wings :angry:

• Like 3

agreed, particularly with stuff that clearly the company has no control over - i.e. hostel room was rubbish as couple nearby had loud sex. 1 star.

arrived at hotel and it was minus 4 degrees outside. 1 star.

tried to use the hoover to trim the hedge and clean the lilo whilst in the pool after drinking 5 pints. Broke. Company would not give me refund. DO NOT BUY.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Today I got some help from a couple of the girls in another department with my job because I'm swamped at the moment, so as thanks I got them a box of Celebrations.

Then there's this clearing in the woods of a girl at work -- I've had personal issues with her before -- who is newly promoted (a ridiculous decision and one as a result of desperation and penny-pinching rather than because she deserves it or is good enough to do it) who has been throwing her weight around in a frankly pathetic attempt to assert some sort of authority (of which she has none over me) and decides to throw a strop and lecture me because I bought a select few of her team a gift and not the rest of her team or herself. I told her I rewarded those who helped me and I could spend my money on whoever the **** I wanted. She's such a dick, seriously. She's like something out of The Office bred with Shameless with a hint of Benidorm thrown in. 

Edited by Ginko

Yeah. Why should I pay for a driving licence when I buy my cars from Japan?

Why don't they give it a name like TV tax for a more accurate description then? Avoid the confusion

Are we the only country in he world where you need authority to use a TV?

It's such an out dated bullshit system

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why don't they give it a name like TV tax for a more accurate description then? Avoid the confusion

Are we the only country in he world where you need authority to use a TV?

It's such an out dated bullshit system

And why don't they change "National Insurance" to "Extra Income Tax"? Or "Speeding Fines" to "Being a word removed Tax"?

Your TV licence pays for the BBC. All of it. An independent broadcaster in a world where that is becoming rare. An institution to be proud to support.

If you don't want to support it, don't own equipment capable of receiving it's broadcasts and you won't need to licence it. The website will still be free to you to use.

• Like 2

I don't support it because it's a badly run, money wasting, bloated relic that I'd like to say should be accountable or even reigned in properly by the government but they'd **** it up too, what did they have last year before they moaned like **** about cuts, 200 members of staff paid more than the prime minister?

Unfortunately it's a great British institute that is wrapped in our history, culture and therefore sentimentality, it's one of many

All the other things you mention where my money is going I have a say in the service I'm receiving, the BBC is a protected species

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't support it because it's a badly run, money wasting, bloated relic that I'd like to say should be accountable or even reigned in properly by the government but they'd **** it up too, what did they have last year before they moaned like **** about cuts, 200 members of staff paid more than the prime minister?

Unfortunately it's a great British institute that is wrapped in our history, culture and therefore sentimentality, it's one of many

All the other things you mention where my money is going I have a say in the service I'm receiving, the BBC is a protected species

You are supporting it.

The TV licence is not a tax as you can choose not to buy equipment which needs licencing. You have actively chosen to pay for something you think is so bad. Don't whine and make better purchases. You need a screen without a tuner and plug your Sky box into the HDMI port. That's it. No licence required.

What service do you receive for your "being a word removed tax"?

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

You need a screen without a tuner and plug your Sky box into the HDMI port. That's it. No licence required.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that a TV licence is required for equipment that is used to recieve any television service as it's broadcast live, whether it can receive BBC services or not.

Â