Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

So Bennett gets slaughtered for looking better offensively rather then defensively but Luna is loved for it? There would have been about 20 new pages on the Bennett thread (of non-stop slating and abuse) had he served up what Luna did on Saturday. Or the Saturday before that I might add.

Some players can do no wrong according to some,while others are blamed for everything that's gone wrong.

• Like 1

Yes, he was positionally suspect. But you asked why he is still better. He is better 1v1 than Bennett and he kept several other players quiet.

But I digress. Like Westwood, you seem to have made up your mind about Luna.

Not at all. With Westwood I am arguing that he doesn't do enough off the ball to fit into the way we currently play. As with Luna, I am rightly criticising two awful performances and pointing out that Bennett would've got far more stick had he produced the same. Also, I've also said that Bennett should regain his place if he performs well against Tottenham in midweek. Is there anything irrational about that?

As far as rushing to judgements go, you have clearly come to the conclusion that Luna is definitely better then Bennett after the sum total of 5 games.

It's not irrational, but it doesn't make sense to discount the very good - and they were very good - performances he had against Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool and then to turn around and say he should be dropped because of a bad performance against Newcastle and an average one against Norwich. I'm all for picking players based on form, but a little consistency please.

And as I said in my earlier post, based on 5 games, Luna is better right now. I even went to great lengths to say that we shouldn't write Bennett off, but right now, Luna is better.

No, Luna isn't getting criticized like Bennett, but Bennett hasn't turned in performances against Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool either like Luna did.

I agree with Isa on these points to be fair. I thought he was great against Arsenal, but not much better than average against Chelsea and Liverpool and I was always a bit worried with his defensive positioning. I thought he was almost as bad against Norwich as he was against Newcastle too, I think Bennett on his form I have seen in his most recent games is just as good. If he comes in and has a good performance against Spurs he should be entitled to feel hard done by if he gets dropped afterwards.

• Like 1

It's not irrational, but it doesn't make sense to discount the very good - and they were very good - performances he had against Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool and then to turn around and say he should be dropped because of a bad performance against Newcastle and an average one against Norwich. I'm all for picking players based on form, but a little consistency please.

And as I said in my earlier post, based on 5 games, Luna is better right now. I even went to great lengths to say that we shouldn't write Bennett off, but right now, Luna is better.

No, Luna isn't getting criticized like Bennett, but Bennett hasn't turned in performances against Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool either like Luna did.

Well I'm not really sure how you can say he is 'better now' then Bennett given that Bennett hasn't really had a chance to show what level he is performing at. By that logic I could argue that KEA is currently better then Sylla couldn't I?

It will be a volatile ride watching Luna this season. He can be brilliant at times and then the worst left back ever. But I agree with the sentiment here: something about this guy makes you like him. And I think it's his heart. He gives his everything and loves doing it. I believe in him, he will be a very good defender one day.

Luna played with great awareness today and after Bacuna was my MOTM. Can only get better IMO

It's interesting that you bring up both the wingbacks as your motm. I'm inclined to agree, and maybe that's cause both bacuna and Luna really work well playing as the outside of a five man defense

It will be a volatile ride watching Luna this season. He can be brilliant at times and then the worst left back ever. But I agree with the sentiment here: something about this guy makes you like him. And I think it's his heart. He gives his everything and loves doing it. I believe in him, he will be a very good defender one day.

I agree 100%

You can see he loves playing for Villa and the supporters. You look at him and think he's a 32 year old veteran who shouldn't be making the mistakes he makes, but remember he's just a kid, really. I think he'll improve by leaps and bounds.

I agree 100%

You can see he loves playing for Villa and the supporters. You look at him and think he's a 32 year old veteran who shouldn't be making the mistakes he makes, but remember he's just a kid, really. I think he'll improve by leaps and bounds.

Yes, exactly, with his beard and all...

Â