Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

He left an unholy amount of space yesterday. Towards the end of the game Ben Arfa was just toying with him and making us look daft. I've noticed it in every game but his handy ability to get forward so well has made up for it. Unfortunately that wasn't the case yesterday so that's all that I kept noticing. The missed goal opportunity was another "ffs" moment. He had a very similar chance when we played Liverpool in the game previous; attempting a pass rather than having a go. It's nice to see that he's unselfish but when a chance like that comes along and he's in the best position to have a go, he needs to just trust his foot and have a shot.

He's had more good games than bad so far, in my opinion, so hopefully he was just (along with most of the squad) having a bad one and will shake it off and do better next week.

• Like 1

Was'nt alone in being below par, but like others have said he was kind of sacrificed against Ben Arfa. Tbh, the midfield let us down badly yesterday and I expect Luna to have better games than this. I also agree he needs to be more selfish when given the shot.

When he was kind of through on goal and he smashed that ball towards Benteke I was in utter disbelief... however i'm thinking today was probably just an off day.

I think he was worried of shooting with his right foot. He should have just had a crack!

When he was kind of through on goal and he smashed that ball towards Benteke I was in utter disbelief... however i'm thinking today was probably just an off day.

I think he was worried of shooting with his right foot. He should have just had a crack!

Maybe he didn't realise how close to the goal he was? It was a very odd moment.

am not surprised really. He is good going forward but was torn apart by Shamrock Rovers in Dublin so not surprised Ben Arfa had a great game

When we were getting Lambert from Norwich, we were told more than once that he was great tactically, and would switch tactics in a match quite often to good effect, when he wasn't getting the desired response.  I have to say that I've seen very little evidence of this so far.  As you say, Ben Arfa tore Luna a new one all match, and nothing was done about it.

am not surprised really. He is good going forward but was torn apart by Shamrock Rovers in Dublin so not surprised Ben Arfa had a great game

When we were getting Lambert from Norwich, we were told more than once that he was great tactically, and would switch tactics in a match quite often to good effect, when he wasn't getting the desired response.  I have to say that I've seen very little evidence of this so far.  As you say, Ben Arfa tore Luna a new one all match, and nothing was done about it.

It also seems to me that Lambert has also been guilty of leaving players in situations where they are getting beaten to avoid harming their confidence even more by removing them from a situation/game. He could have dropped Bennett on numerous occasions last season but he stuck with him. 

4-3-3 may give the full backs room to get forward, but offers zero protection when they're under pressure. Add a player like Ben Arfa into the mix......................

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. Look at the quality Chelsea had on the pitch when we played them! I just think that too many players had an off day and we don't have enough quality to afford that to happen.

I watched Luna against Malaga and he was ripped apart in that game too. For me, he is the same as Bennett defensively but has better quality going forwards with the ball.

4-3-3 may give the full backs room to get forward, but offers zero protection when they're under pressure. Add a player like Ben Arfa into the mix......................

No the way we play 4-3-3 offers them no protection because we play it under Lambert's system which is defensively inept.

No the way we play 4-3-3 offers them no protection because we play it under Lambert's system which is defensively inept.

I'd tend to agree here.

When we played 433 last year, we had Delph helping out the left full back, and Sylla helping out the right full back. I don't know why this isn't happening at the moment.

Tbh both fullbacks are getting unnecessary criticism

The system we are playing they are going to be exposed all the time and they get hardly any protection at all

We play so narrow its rediculous

Edited by AshVilla

I feel for Bennett, if it was he instead of Tony that put that display in he'd be receiving one direction-esque death threats on here. Wouldn't hear a single claim that it was the midfielders at fault, the blame would be solely on Joe.

Edited by TreeVillan
  • Like 4

Tbh both fullbacks are getting unnecessary criticism

The system we are playing they are going to be exposed all the time and they get hardly any protection at all

We play so narrow its ridiculous

Yes that's the problem.

Â