Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

Really like him for some reason but his defensive positioning is not great, I think it might cost us some goals this season. 

me too, I Love it when he runs with the ball and the way he took that goal against Arsenal. Hes still only young and hes playing Premier League for the fist time so  needs time to adjust.

So Bennett gets slaughtered for looking better offensively rather then defensively but Luna is loved for it? There would have been about 20 new pages on the Bennett thread (of non-stop slating and abuse) had he served up what Luna did on Saturday. Or the Saturday before that I might add.

• Like 1

Why was he played then? And also, yes it was that bad. Norwich just had free reign of our entire left hand side, especially in the second half. As I said, if it were Bennett, there wouldn't be one single defence of that performance.

No he was poor.

Luna might have allowed some crosses to get in but he didn't get outright beat like Bennett where Bennett had to pull him down for the penalty.

Luna might be a bit suspect positionally as I suspect he likes to get forward and causes headaches for whoever has to cover for him as well as losing the shape, but he's a decent defender 1v1. Bennett, when his confidence was down, was easily turned and bamboozled and that's the biggest difference so far between Luna and Bennett.

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 1

So Bennett gets slaughtered for looking better offensively rather then defensively but Luna is loved for it? There would have been about 20 new pages on the Bennett thread (of non-stop slating and abuse) had he served up what Luna did on Saturday. Or the Saturday before that I might add.

Bennett looked awful offensively and he was even worse defensively. Luna actually looks a threat when attacking and he really is not that bad defensively. 

Bennett has a decent cross on him, but last year he was very unsure of himself as a player.

Whatever faults Luna has, he has the confidence to put his head down and keep going whereas Bennett had that shell shocked expression on his face for some parts of last season. Some players adjust quicker than others but it's no reason to write off Bennett.

But right now, Luna is better.

Edited by Kwan

The difference is that Bennett was turned often because he was in some sort of proximity to his opponent. Luna was just nowhere to be seen most of the time on the Saturday. Norwich rarely bothered attacking down the right in the end, realising that Luna offered zero resistance to any Snodgrass attack. If that was average, then I'd hate to see a poor performance. Also was Luna not 'bamboozled' against Ben Arfa?

Obviously I have no problem giving him time but I don't see why we are trying to sugarcoat performances that we would be absolutely slaughtering Bennett for.

I don't really remember Luna not being there at all. I saw Luna tucking in a lot and thus giving Snodgrass a lot of space but that's not the same as being MIA. I don't know whether that was a directive to allow him space but it obviously worked as they had little joy with their crosses.

We will see with time but that's not sugar coating in defense of Luna.

And Luna did have a bad game against Arfa. But Walcott, Mata, and Henderson were all quiet against him. Can't just look at the bad.

Edited by Kwan

Tucking in is the same as shirking responsibility. What's the point of playing a full-back if he is not going to do anything to prevent the opposition firing in crosses at will? Clearly wasn't tactical as Bacuna didn't do the same.

Yes, he was positionally suspect. But you asked why he is still better. He is better 1v1 than Bennett and he kept several other players quiet.

But I digress. Like Westwood, you seem to have made up your mind about Luna.

So Luna is 5 games into his career in a new league in a new country and already some posters want him out and Bennett in.

Well they'll probably get their wish tomorrow night seeing as he could be out injured, so we can all hope Joe has an absolute stormer of a game and teaches the little Spaniard a lesson for coming over here "taking his job".

Â