Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

The way the pundits were talking, it sounds like it'll either be relegation to Liverpool (the Rafa link) or to Palace (the Pardew link) for them. 

I'd be very surprised if they still had a chance of staying up by the time they play us. 

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They're still only 6 points off Norwich so 2 game margin. Think they might beat Swansea so every chance they'll still have a chance when they turn up here.

Newcastle could beat Swansea next, but they will lose to man citeh and liverpool. Fail to beat Swansea then and they are doooooooomed.

Oh my, leaked contracts confirm that Shelvey is earning £80k a week at Newcastle with no reduction should they go down.

In other news Neymay getting only £77k per week. World hhas gone mad!

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Oh my, leaked contracts confirm that Shelvey is earning £80k a week at Newcastle with no reduction should they go down.

Neymar gets paid £230,000 per week.

The way he gets paid by Barcelona is rather interesting, don't be fooled by the £77,000 per week figure given as that's just what Barcleona pay him directly

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

They are in big trouble then if they go down if they havent inserted relegation reduction decreases

At least that fool Fox seems to have done that with our cowards

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Neymar gets paid £230,000 per week.

The way he gets paid by Barcelona is rather interesting, don't be fooled by the £77,000 per week figure given as that's just what Barcleona pay him directly

I'm sure he does get a lot in terms of add on's and bonus (including the £8.5m signing on fee he got) but not sure what you mean about "Barcelona pay him directly"?

44 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm sure he does get a lot in terms of add on's and bonus (including the £8.5m signing on fee he got) but not sure what you mean about "Barcelona pay him directly"?

Barcelona pay him £77,000 pw the rest is made up with payments from a transfer commision for signing. Both Barcelona and Real Madrid have rather dubious ways of doing their accounting so on frist glance it appears he is on a £77,000 per week salary but then he gets comission payments that boost it to £230,000 per week.

I think they have got some smart arse way of doing the "additional payments" which means less tax is paid. Both the big two in Spain have some fairly "creative" accounting

Newcastle would have to pay Jonjo Shelvey £80,000 a week in the Championship

Shelvey would keep his current salary even if Newcastle are relegated

11 APRIL 2016 • 10:30PM

Newcastle United are facing the nightmare prospect of paying Jonjo Shelvey £80,000 a week in the Championship after failing to negotiate a wage cut in the event of relegation.

With Rafa Benitez urging owner Mike Ashley to launch a root and branch review of the way the club is run, Newcastle will have major financial problems if they fail to win an increasingly hopeless relegation battle.

Rafa Benitez thinks Mike Ashley must rethink how he runs the club

Shelvey signed a five-and-a-half year contract in January, but does not have a clause that automatically reduces his salary if the club drop out of the Premier League.

The England midfielder is determined to stay on Tyneside, whatever the outcome of Newcastle’s relegation battle after securing regular first-team football since his £12million move from Swansea.

Shelvey is not the only high profile player on Tyneside who does not have a relegation clause inserted into their contract and it is understood none of the players signed in January will take an automatic wage cut in the Championship.

Ashley has spent a lot of money this season

France international Moussa Sissoko is another who does not have a cause that will force him to reduce his £55,000-a-week wage packet, although Newcastle will be keen to find a buyer for the former Toulouse player, even if they stay up, as his poor form has become a major concern.

Shelvey will be one of the highest paid players to ever feature in the Championship after the club neglected to include a salary reduction. 

Scott Parker, the Fulham midfielder, is alleged to have earned £75,000 a week last season, but Shelvey is on course to beat that.

Shelvey was signed by Steve McClaren

It is understood there is also no release clause in Shelvey’s contract which allows him to leave for a set price though Andros Townsend, another January signing, can leave for £8million.

Shelvey is settled at Newcastle, however, and a club source insisted the 24-year-old is “in it for the long haul” after becoming a high-profile capture in January. He was given the captaincy by McClaren during the absence of Fabricio Coloccini and has made 11 starts.

Newcastle remain in the bottom three under McClaren’s successor, Benitez, and are six points adrift of Norwich with an inferior goal difference.

Benitez was furious, both at half-time and after Saturday's 3-1 loss at Southampton, and has been shocked by the mental fragility of the players he inherited from McClaren.

Newcastle were dreadful against Southampton on Saturday

He has questioned the attitude of certain individuals and asked why so many of them they cannot perform as well in matches as they do in training.

The Spaniard was also happy to let Newcastle’s players hold their own heated inquest following the defeat at St Mary’s, in which full-back Daryl Janmaat damaged two fingers after punching a wall in the dressing room.

Janmaat left St. Mary’s Stadium with his arm in a sling after taking out his anger on a wall, following his early exit from the game with a groin injury.

There were also furious exchanges between players at half-time after conceding two goals in a shambolic display.

Daryl Janmaat damaged two fingers after punching a wall in the dressing room at St Mary's

However, Benitez has put an arm around his shell-shocked players since those rows in the hope of extracting a far better performance from them in the home game against Swansea City on Saturday. The Magpies need to win that match to cling on to any realistic hope of avoiding relegation.

Benitez, though, knows huge changes are needed behind the scenes if Newcastle are going to return to their former glory and hopes there will be a review of the club’s transfer policy, scouting network and the Academy set up.

The problem is, although Benitez believes he can dramatically improve the way the club is run, he is almost certain to quit if Newcastle are relegated, which means the summer upheaval will include the search for a third new manager in the space of a year.

Newcastle defender Jamaal Lascelles has admitted Newcastle have to start showing some “fight” as they bid to mount a late revival.

“On paper our team is ridiculous but we need to show more heart. We need players who care and will look after each other, we've lacked it,” he said.

“We've got flair players, tricky players, players with loads of talent but we need more heart, desire and bigger characters on the pitch. No matter how good you are, if you don't have that fight and hunger it doesn't matter."

OMG they make Tom Fox look like a genius

They are in big trouble if they get relegated

No wonder Shelvey has said he would like to stay there. I'll be brutally honest, after January I didn't think there was a chance in hell that Newcastle would get relegated.

Townsend will find another club at £8m, not too sure anyone else would match Shelveys wages though, he's not that good. 

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They are in big trouble if they get relegated

They are just like us really. Terrible owner, Terrible Board members, Terrible Managers, Terrible overpaid players. We'll both be struggling in the Championship next season. The only difference is that we have been preparing for relegation since December whereas Newcastle made things worse than they were by spending huge money (badly) in January.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

No wonder Shelvey has said he would like to stay there. I'll be brutally honest, after January I didn't think there was a chance in hell that Newcastle would get relegated.

Townsend will find another club at £8m, not too sure anyone else would match Shelveys wages though, he's not that good. 

Doubt it. He is utter shit.

Like that greedy fat kid at school who has no ability or intelligence and just shoots everytime he gets the ball.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Doubt it. He is utter shit.

Like that greedy fat kid at school who has no ability or intelligence and just shoots everytime he gets the ball.

I think we should bid for him at that price, he would do well at championship level. Can see a prem club coming in at that price though, maybe west ham, stoke or Bournemouth .

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

They are just like us really. Terrible owner, Terrible Board members, Terrible Managers, Terrible overpaid players. We'll both be struggling in the Championship next season. The only difference is that we have been preparing for relegation since December whereas Newcastle made things worse than they were by spending huge money (badly) in January.

Yep I a agree mate. I am glad we are prepared for it that's my only consolation. Newcastle look totally unprepared blowing money on panic buys and no relegation reduction clauses. Very stupid and arrogant from the people who run Newcastle 

I really don't understand Newcastle's January buys. £25m on Shelvey and Townsend is nuts. If you're going to panic buy at least get someone in good form at the time of purchase (like we did with Bent).

On 10/04/2016 at 05:36, Zatman said:

it will be probably one of the worst games in football history

It'll be very interesting.  Obviously we're just there to play spoiler.  Newcastle will more than likely need to win.  Odds being that by that stage they're still a few points the wrong side of Sunderland, Norwich or both.  So they can't come and park the bus.  So you have 2 high-larious defences and 2 stronger (not strong, but stronger) attacks going at them.  It could be 4-4 simply because these 2 couldn't defend if their lives depended on it, and Newcastle can't afford to anyway :D 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

I really don't understand Newcastle's January buys. £25m on Shelvey and Townsend is nuts. If you're going to panic buy at least get someone in good form at the time of purchase (like we did with Bent).

Not signing any defenders was criminal given the position they're in and how bad they continue to defender under a proven organisational coach like Benitez.

Â