Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Why didn't they just sack McClaren on Saturday night after the Bournemouth game? Or earlier in the week? Or even yesterday when meeting him.

It does seem odd they are stringing it out, can only think Benitez dosen't fancy starting at Leicester and would prefer to begin in the NE derby and the club want that aswell. It works for Sunderland after

I know Leicester are amazing but they only drew with West Brom and beat Norwich with a last minute goal so they're hardly battering teams. It's not impossible with new manager boost Newcastle could nick a point.

Just think it's dangerous at this stage to throw away games when there are so few left. Newcastle will only have 9 left after Monday and I'd say they need 4 wins to stand a chance.

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup not sure how or why Rafa would go near Newcastle.  

Can only think he's been promised a good transfer fund if he keeps them up.

According to Brian Reade he was either interviewed or met with the board here in summer 2011 but very quickly walked away once he became aware of the minuscule budget on offer.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Basing it solely on the league position of the final 9 opponents (so Citeh are ignored here), Newcastle have the 3rd easiest run-in with an average league position of 11.7.  Arsenal have the easiest on 12.8 with Leicester second on 12.1.  There's not a huge amount of deviation given that there's basically a quarter of the season to go, plus sides lower in the league can be inordinately difficult compared to their league position approaching the end of the season as motivations come into stark focus.  But I'd still rather have Newcastle's run-in than Palace or West Brom's ones, as they have the hardest and second hardest averaging 9.0 & 9.2 respectively.

Newcastle run-in
Game in hand v City (4)
@ Leicester (1)
v Sunderland (17)
@ Norwich (18)
@ Southampton (9)
v Swansea (16)
@ Liverpool (7)
v Palace (15)
@ Villa (20)
v Spurs (2)

3 year deal for Rafa :lol:

He isnt the manager he was, Inter, Napoli and Real he failed and did OK at Chelsea

Agree, he's not the top 5 managers in the world like the scouser so like to believe, but this is still a massive coup for them

Will hopefully make us sending them down on the last home game even better

• Like 1

Is it any coincidence that the two teams buying players from the French league are both the bottom two teams? 

Personally I think our squad is better than our position,  and I also think Newcastles is too.  But surely there's something in it?  

If Newcastle get Rafa then fair play to them and their board,  at least they are showing a bit of ambition and fight unlike our custodian... 

Edited by PieFacE

Right so, that's McClaren gone byebyes.  Expect the waiter to be in shortly.  Imagine, if he goes topless he'll be a local in no time.

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

3 year deal for Rafa :lol:

He isnt the manager he was, Inter, Napoli and Real he failed and did OK at Chelsea

I recall similar comments being made about Ranieri last summer. That is not to say Rafa will have Newcastle top this time next season, just saying that sometimes things have a way of working out.

I have a sneaky feeling that Newcastle will beat Leicester this week. I get the feeling that Leicester will start to unravel in the last few matches, and drop away.

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Rafa Benitez, the most boring, stubborn defensive minded manager at the club that love their goalscorers.

Yes, good luck with that. Will be gone by Christmas.

I'd imagine he'll be gone in the summer when they're relegated and it triggers his own relegation release clause.  Can't see him managing in the Chumpionship, or them wanting to pay him that wage down there.

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

He will keep them up.

Must admit it does look desperate on his part though, fair play to the club.

If he keeps them up he's a hero and he gets another feather in his cap.  If they go down it was all McClaren's fault anyway and he walks away with a few bob.  I think as management jobs go, he's on pretty safe ground there.  It's a win-win for him.  The jammy so and so.

Should be able to keep them up. All they have to do is finish above a rotten Norwich side and a Sunderland team who, while improving, are pretty abysmal also. Benitez at least has a pretty decent squad to play with. 

His main problem apart from the obvious will be injuries.  They're top of the injury table with 11 and their main (read : only ...) striker is one of them.  Without Cisse, they rely on Wijnaldum and he's not really prolific.  Sunderland are muck, but they can pull a victory out of Defoe's a*se when they need to.

Â