Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's crazy that Burnley have 4 games in hand on them. Watford got 3.

Could be absolutely miles off safety once the games start to catch up

You are assuming those clubs will do something that have not shown so far in those games in hand and win matches.

If Newcastle show the same fight and spirit as they did against, albeit a poor Man United, they will pick points up and give themselves a chance of survival. Especially if they manage to add a couple of quality players.

They did not look like a team in the bottom three last night. 

fwiw, I think they will stay up. 

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, imavillan said:

You are assuming those clubs will do something that have not shown so far in those games in hand and win matches.

Love the way people look at games in hand and apply “some wins there” as the logic.

Burnley’s 4 games in hand, for example, are Spurs, Man Utd, Villa and Watford. 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Love the way people look at games in hand and apply “some wins there” as the logic.

Burnley’s 4 games in hand, for example, are Spurs, Man Utd, Villa and Watford. 

Burnley could see 5-7 points there. Ok its possible they get 0 but its not that daunting a list

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Burnley could see 5-7 points there. Ok its possible they get 0 but its not that daunting a list

11 points from 15 games so far this season, not scored in their last 3 (against Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle) but are looking at avoiding defeat in at least 2 of those?

I don’t see it. 

You could equally apply the same logic to Newcastle and ask why are they suddenly going to start winning games when they've only won one all season.

Also Burnley have lost just one of their last six, they've Beat Brentford, and drawn with Palace, Chelsea, Wolves, and West Ham.

So they will fancy their chances in getting some points from Tottenham Hotspurs, Manchester United, Aston Villa, and Watford, they aren't just going to conveniently lose all those games.

Besides, you can't really point to specific fixtures and call those fixtures their "games in hand", the point is they've got four more games than Newcaste from which to get points, you could point to any of their remaining fixtures and label them their "games in hand".

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Watford also has 3 games in hand on Newcastle.

Obviously this might just as well lead to 0 points and a worse GD than the -10 they have now. But at least Watford and Burnley has a chance to pick up points in those 3 & 4 games they have to play.

1 minute ago, useless said:

You could equally apply the same logic to Newcastle and ask why are they suddenly going to start winning games when they've only won one all season.

Also Burnley have lost just one of their last six, they've Beat Brentford, and drawn with Palace, Chelsea, Wolves, and West Ham.

So they will fany their chances in getting some points from Tottenham Hotspurs, Manchester United, Aston Villa, and Watford, they aren't just going to conveniently lose all those games.

Besides, you can't really point to specific fixtures and call those fixtures their "games in hand", the point is they've got four more games than Newcaste from which to get points, you could point to any of their remaining fixtures and label them their "games in hand".

Yeah, there’s no guarantee of points. But I don’t think anyone is claiming that for Newcastle? Whereas games in hand is seen as an advantage when it just isn’t, to be honest.

r.e: the games, I just picked the sides Burnley hadn’t faced yet. It doesn’t work quite like that, as you say, because Newcastle (for example) haven’t played Everton at all but have played Man Utd twice. 

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

11 points from 15 games so far this season, not scored in their last 3 (against Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle) but are looking at avoiding defeat in at least 2 of those?

I don’t see it. 

United struggled against the bottom 2 and Watford in recent weeks. We dont have a great record vs them and Watford are very inconsistent. 

Its a favourable enough run at the moment obviously things change when the game is rearranged

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, there’s no guarantee of points. But I don’t think anyone is claiming that for Newcastle? Whereas games in hand is seen as an advantage when it just isn’t, to be honest.

r.e: the games, I just picked the sides Burnley hadn’t faced yet. It doesn’t work quite like that, as you say, because Newcastle (for example) haven’t played Everton at all but have played Man Utd twice. 

I really can't get my head around what you are arguing here, of course games in hand is an advantage. They literally have more points to play for.

If all of these sides are not going to pick up another point all season then the table stays as is and Newcastle get relegated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

If Newcastle show the same fight and spirit as they did against, albeit a poor Man United, they will pick points up and give themselves a chance of survival. Especially if they manage to add a couple of quality players.

They did not look like a team in the bottom three last night. 

fwiw, I think they will stay up. 

Norwich also looked good against United.

Easy to get motivated against the best.

Let's see how they do against the lesser sides. That's what will define their season.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich also looked good against United.

Easy to get motivated against the best.

Let's see how they do against the lesser sides. That's what will define their season.

I agree, people often raise their game against United. The less glamorous ties will define their season.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree, people often raise their game against United. The less glamorous ties will define their season.

I think those sort of games are the ones between now and the start of March (assuming they go ahead as scheduled).

Everton (a), Southampton (a), Watford (h), Leeds (a), Everton (h), Villa (h), West Ham (a), Brentford (a), Brighton (h)

Ten games remaining after that lot and the opposition will be generally higher up in the league, with one or two (six pointer) exceptions. 

I think they’d need to be up to approximately 25 points by the end of that Brighton game because points after that are going to be harder to come by.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

It’s funny seeing the situation with Joelington unfold, he’s stopped being completely shit and people are raving about how incredible he has become.

No, he’s just moved from awful to poor. 1 goal in 18 this season. 

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s funny seeing the situation with Joelington unfold, he’s stopped being completely shit and people are raving about how incredible he has become.

No, he’s just moved from awful to poor. 1 goal in 18 this season. 

I thought the reason people were so impressed with him is because he has moved into midfield, and that he suits that role much better than striker?

Â