Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

On 02/01/2022 at 12:09, MaVilla said:

I want them to go down.

I have a feeling they will stay up, they are only 2 points from safety currently.

Watford and Burnley being rubbish will keep them up. Half way through the season (admittedly a couple a game or so behind) 4 teams are on 13 points or less. 

Edited by pas5898

On 01/01/2022 at 15:36, bannedfromHandV said:

So Trippier is their first crack at a ‘marquee signing’, interesting to see if they can pull it off as surely only an offer he can’t refuse would see him join them from Atletico.

He's been desperate to come back to the north of England since last summer apparently.

On 02/01/2022 at 12:09, MaVilla said:

I want them to go down.

I have a feeling they will stay up, they are only 2 points from safety currently.

I have a feeling they will stay up because I want them to go down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The question is will Trippier actually improve them or is he a busted flush? 

I think he'll improve them, will need the move if he's to get a WC spot which is an outside shot anyway and can take a decent set piece

Hopefully best case they go down and they're stuck with him, worst case they stick him on mega wages and a long term deal stay up and he's in the bomb squad within 18 months 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How much can a full back really improve a team? He is an improvement on what they have but his position is not involved fully in the game

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He'll definitely improve them (unfortunately). Regular starter for Atletico Madrid, and a cut above what most teams fighting relegation can afford.

One of the things the relegation escape artists like Allardyce, Pulis, etc often do is sign 1 or 2 quality defenders in the January window when they first join a club. That's what helps you grind out the draws and one-goal wins.

I reckon this is a smart signing.

What I was hoping for was a really disruptive attacking player who peaked 5 years ago and is only there for the pay cheque. Balotelli would be ideal.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How much can a full back really improve a team? He is an improvement on what they have but his position is not involved fully in the game

Is that really the case anymore? I think full back is as critical as any other position these days. Gone are the days of the RB just being a failed CB who patrols his little corner and takes throw ins. Now they're heavily involved in build-up play and attacking play.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Is that really the case anymore? I think full back is as critical as any other position these days. Gone are the days of the RB just being a failed CB who patrols his little corner and takes throw ins. Now they're heavily involved in build-up play and attacking play.

Jurgen klopp likes this

For newcastle though it depends what else they do, they need CBs and CMs more

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Thats true but I meant on defensive side of things. Trippier is a solid full back but he wont be much use if Ciaran Clark or Lascelles is assisting the opposition striker

• Like 1

About normal I'd have thought to be honest, won't be many England players moving for less

If that's less than 4 years it's actually a decent looking deal for them, I was hoping for £20m+ £150k a week 4 to 5 years 

The disparity across the squad could be a problem though

• Like 2

Â