Christian Benteke

Kwan

No he didn't, and credit to him, Lambert and everyone else at the club for that. But he did make it fairly clear that he sees himself going to a bigger club than we (currently) are and at some point he'll take action to make that happen if he thinks Villa are being unreasonable. I believe that'll happen this summer because I can't see he would have signed a new deal without assurances he'd be able to leave. 

Not all this bullshit again.

He's going to leave, depending on who comes in and offering how much is all that will dictate when he leaves.

When he signed the new contract he was most likely told that play well for another season and you will have the likes of Man Utd interested and providing they stump up a reasonable fee you can leave when ever. The extension to the contract was to strengthen the clubs hand in negotiating the leaving fee when it happens.

This is fair on Beneteke and now one would begrudge him that. But what is also fair to the club is the fee is of a reasonable size.

In the mean time just enjoy him playing for us.

Edited by neil3241
  • Like 2

I have never really connected with Benteke, almost feel the same way about him as I would about a loan player.

I think it is because he has made it very clear, unlike any of the other players who may hold the same ambition, but for the moment profess undying love for Lambert's vision, that he is definitely only here for as short a time as possible.

Wonderful asset, mind you, financially and on the field.

I have never really connected with Benteke, almost feel the same way about him as I would about a loan player.

I think it is because he has made it very clear, unlike any of the other players who may hold the same ambition, but for the moment profess undying love for Lambert's vision, that he is definitely only here for as short a time as possible.

So in a strange way, he's the only purchased footballer in our team that you are being realistic about, because in reality those ones are all the same. He just happens to have the footballing ability that allows him to flaunt his temporary-ness (my word, you can use it).

Benteke looks like he's going to have another great season, the way he's started he could easily outshine last season. I think he will be top scorer, or very close. His value is going to be 40m plus, if a bidding war starts it could be more. .....

Personally I don't think he's hit form yet this season.

I'd agree with that in a big way.

Just a reminder .. He didn't score in any of the Top 5 .. just one in our last home game against Chelsea ..

those 3 games were very hard for anyone (Even Man Utd just got 1 point out of 6) !

I know he wasn't in his top .. But he had some great moments .. 

Remember Sunderland game .. He wasn't up to it in the first half .. yet a hatrick on the 2nd !

"We'll probably cash in for £35 million?"..."£50 million forget it?" etc.

Some of the statements one reads around here - written as if they were fact - make me chuckle.

If Benteke goes he goes for the price Aston Villa value him at.  If suitors don't meet the valuation then he simply stays at Villa Park. Villa are completely in the driving seat, not The Daily Mirror, not some nobodies on Twitter etc.  I do wish you good folk would simply ignore the nonsense written about Benteke and just enjoy what's taking shape at Villa Park.  Let's see where we are come May.

Villa aren't in the driving seat though. For starters, he's probably been given assurances he can leave next summer and that's why he signed a new deal. We've seen it time and time again at Villa and other clubs, when a players head has been turned it's very hard to keep them. If Benteke wants to leave and Villa are refusing offers of £30m+ it'll be about 5 minutes before he's spouting to the press, going on strike and handing in transfer requests. Then we have an 'asset' that disrupts the team, adds no value to the squad and actually starts decreasing in value. The nature of modern football puts the players in the driving seat far more than ever before. We'll sell and if we can get over £30m we'll probably have done quite well.

But for now, let's just enjoy having a top quality player banging in the goals for us! 

He's definitely going for over £30million if he was £25million on the back of one season assuming he either repeats or exceeds the past season. Just think it's a World Cup year. He's current not only makes the Belgium squad everytime but starts up front as well. If he does the business for us this year and lights up the World Cup stage £40million is a ridiculous amount considering his age and his by then proven track record against not only the Premier League but top national teams as well.

But again we're all working with assumptions. Better to just sit tight and enjoy the ride rather than worry about Benteke leaving or whatever. It's September for Christ sake.

Benteke is a great player, he does however owe Villa quite a lot for helping him develop. I can't think of any team that would have done for him, or any other young player, what we have. We dropped our record signing for him, he started with a new set of players, new maanger and a new found hope from the fans, this combination does not happen very often and its a factor we should consider when we name a value for him.

He's hasn't played that well this season but he's still scoring for fun, hit a bit of form and he could easily be in double figures by the end of November. He may not be playing in the Champions league but he does have a world cup to go to and after a good season his value would be well over the 30m mention during this transfer seasons fiasco.

Benteke and the Villa should enjoy it all while it lasts.

So in a strange way, he's the only purchased footballer in our team that you are being realistic about, because in reality those ones are all the same. He just happens to have the footballing ability that allows him to flaunt his temporary-ness (my word, you can use it).

Realistically, any footballer in our team, purchased or otherwise, I know would move on to a better club, given the talent and the opportunity.

But you are correct, his ability allows him to be more blatent about his intentions.

Realistically, any footballer in our team, purchased or otherwise, I know would move on to a better club, given the talent and the opportunity.

But you are correct, his ability allows him to be more blatent about his intentions.

I was initially going to say that they were all the same and then I thought of Gabby Agbonlahor and I'm genuinely not sure if he would move at this stage. So I narrowed it down to purchased players. The reasoning being that they've no ties to the club beyond their contract.

If he smashes it this year (20+ PL goals) and has a good WC, it will be a Man City who pip the likes of Man Yoo with ridiculous offer and wages and Tekkers and his friar tuck lookin agent will go where most money is offered rather than the Van Persie avenue of "the little boy inside me told me Man U". Arsenal if they had any ambition would offer those ridiculos wages but they tend to buckle in bidding wars.

Â