Christian Benteke

Kwan

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I based it off your post. 

How can you judge how I'll feel before signings are made. I trust the scouts to unearth some decent talent not make terrible signing like Benteke that I thought we'd moved away from 

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Golden rule - never go back.  Look at James Milner.................wait a minute, bad example. 

Err Gordon Cowans...... Doh, Andy Gray.... Garn.. Steve Staunton.....Aaagh.  

OK I give in. 

But those were still good players when they came back. Benteke is a striker with 4 goals in 4yrs. 

If he hadn’t played for us, but instead had his best seasons for ... say, Tottenham. Then had gone to Liverpool, and Crystal Palace... would be people be more keen to sign him? I think they would. 
But why would the fact he’s played for us before affect his future performances negatively? 

Bring him home! I really doubt it’ll happen though :) 

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think because people were fed up was only thing discussed on transfer rumour thread

I've just caught up with the speculation thread. I can confirm creating this thread hasn't worked!

• Like 1

I think this is a very dangerous signing, but I love it. As long as he is isn't the only striker we sign then it's worth a risk.

He may be a shadow of his former self, he may be low on confidence. However do not underestimate the force of love. He shins one in from 3 yards out at Villa Park. The cried erupt, the Holte end burst into chorus. 

There's is confidence all sorted right there.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

If he hadn’t played for us, but instead had his best seasons for ... say, Tottenham. Then had gone to Liverpool, and Crystal Palace... would be people be more keen to sign him? I think they would. 
But why would the fact he’s played for us before affect his future performances negatively? 

Bring him home! I really doubt it’ll happen though :) 

No the opposite. They'd be saying why the **** are we signing a guy with 4 goals in 3 seasons with too many knee and ligament injuries. 

It's only the ridiculous nostalgia for the half a season he scored 14 for us to end on 19 debut season 7 years ago

I'd rather not sign Benteke. He's done. Injuries and a nightmare time at Liverpool followed by stagnation at Palace has done him. Even at his absolute peak for us, where he was fantastic, he had moments where he was shockingly bad. And those days are long, long gone.

If he came back, I suspect he'd do a bit better than he would the equivalent minutes at Palace, just through familiarity and good will, but that isn't saying a great deal. He isn't going to magically come back to the old version of himself. Those days are long gone. Relying on Benteke to keep us up is a huge risk and will almost certainly end in tears.

Saying all that... I'd be ok with Benteke coming back if it was either on loan or bloody cheap, and perhaps more importantly, supplementing someone else coming in who we expect to be a starter and can rely on for goals. As an option, and as we're short and desperate, I'd take him coming. As a big signing, no, disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'd rather not sign Benteke. He's done. Injuries and a nightmare time at Liverpool followed by stagnation at Palace has done him. Even at his absolute peak for us, where he was fantastic, he had moments where he was shockingly bad. And those days are long, long gone.

If he came back, I suspect he'd do a bit better than he would the equivalent minutes at Palace, just through familiarity and good will, but that isn't saying a great deal. He isn't going to magically come back to the old version of himself. Those days are long gone. Relying on Benteke to keep us up is a huge risk and will almost certainly end in tears.

Saying all that... I'd be ok with Benteke coming back if it was either on loan or bloody cheap, and perhaps more importantly, supplementing someone else coming in who we expect to be a starter and can rely on for goals. As an option, and as we're short and desperate, I'd take him coming. As a big signing, no, disaster waiting to happen.

I seriously think a big fee striker signing isn't happening this window.  - Benteke , Murray, or someone of that ilk.

Just now, hippo said:

I seriously think a big fee striker signing isn't happening this window.  - Benteke , Murray, or someone of that ilk.

I've no doubt a big fee striker isn't happening. I'll be shocked to see us spend any significant amount this window. But I'm hoping we can either pick up a 'value' style player (someone unflashy and/or maybe getting on, but who is a goalscorer) or a loan someone with some talent from the bench of the elite teams.

If we get someone like that, ok, maybe add Benteke to fill out the numbers. If we think Benteke IS that player, we've gone mad.

• Like 1

We just need someone to hold the ball up and link up the play to be honest. I'm not looking at goal-scoring too critically at this juncture in our progression. Wesley wasn't exactly prolific himself, but when he was on song and linking up well, the entire team was better for it even if he wasn't scoring. Benteke was one of the best we've seen in the PL at that in the last decade. It's the reason why I was so excited about Giroud, because he is the master of link-up play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We just need someone to hold the ball up and link up the play to be honest. I'm not looking at goal-scoring too critically at this juncture in our progression. Wesley wasn't exactly prolific himself, but when he was on song and linking up well, the entire team was better for it even if he wasn't scoring. Benteke was one of the best we've seen in the PL at that in the last decade. It's the reason why I was so excited about Giroud, because he is the master of link-up play.

You're talking about the old version of Benteke that hasn't had multiple injuries

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I saw him do a scissor kick volley earlier in the season. It went inches wide but it was vintage Benteke. Not many could have pulled off technique like that. Had it gone in he would have been back big time. It’s coming. 

That's what I was saying earlier, you still see flashes that he still has it in him and he's been unlucky that with the limited time he's had, he's had a lot of near misses that could have put him back on track. He's not like Torres for example who after a few injuries and lack of playing time didn't even resemble the player he used to be anymore. It's still there for him. 

Â