Christian Benteke

Kwan

Whatever the truth is, personally I am just going to enjoy the time he is here and hope he helps to get us moving upwards again. I am long past hero worshipping players, who are at the end of the day, mercenaries who sell the skills to the highest bidder.

After his performance against Man U when he destroyed Smalling, my immediate thoughts were that we will do very well to keep him for more than a year or two.

Enjoy while it lasts folks, oh and STOP reading the toilet paper known as the sun!

• Like 1

Whatever the truth is, personally I am just going to enjoy the time he is here and hope he helps to get us moving upwards again. I am long past hero worshipping players, who are at the end of the day, mercenaries who sell the skills to the highest bidder.

After his performance against Man U when he destroyed Smalling, my immediate thoughts were that we will do very well to keep him for more than a year or two.

Enjoy while it lasts folks, oh and STOP reading the toilet paper known as the sun!

I'm with Mike on this. My hero worshipping days are long gone and I now see players for what they are. In all fairness you can have no argument if a players ambition is to play for the biggest clubs.To do that though they are going to have to perform well for us and that can only benefit us whilst they are here.

It will be a long road for us to again be seen as one of the top sides in this country but this club is certainly capable of getting there but it will mean along the way losing the odd exceptional player and having to build again. Unlike in the recent past it will also mean reinvesting what money we do bring in and trying to sign players of equal quality to those leaving.

I kind of agree with you here in the terms of making profit out of a player Rev but if it meant dismantling the team and starting over again from scratch then it sort of defeats the object.

I've chopped the quote down for the sake of space, but this is all about the philosophy of how you look at football these days. I'd like to think all clubs are equal and question why a player would want to leave Aston Villa for Arsenal if Aston Villa are doing well, but the reality is all clubs are stepping stones to somewhere bigger these days. There is a reason why mid table Premier League sides can take the best players from the best teams in countries like Belgium, France and Holland, but that same reason is why clubs who regularly qualify for the Champions League can take players away from clubs who dont. Everybody wants to play in the Champions League and if we cant offer it within a year or two then a player who might have ten seasons of top level first team football in him is going to want to go to some club who can. It's the grim reality of the game these days.

• Like 1

I've chopped the quote down for the sake of space, but this is all about the philosophy of how you look at football these days. I'd like to think all clubs are equal and question why a player would want to leave Aston Villa for Arsenal if Aston Villa are doing well, but the reality is all clubs are stepping stones to somewhere bigger these days. There is a reason why mid table Premier League sides can take the best players from the best teams in countries like Belgium, France and Holland, but that same reason is why clubs who regularly qualify for the Champions League can take players away from clubs who dont. Everybody wants to play in the Champions League and if we cant offer it within a year or two then a player who might have ten seasons of top level first team football in him is going to want to go to some club who can. It's the grim reality of the game these days.

Too true.

Agree with what you say here.

But there's no need to say those things to the press (if he did)

Especially after only being here a few months.

I feel this whole little situation that has risen is being taken with a gallon of salt and being blown way out of proportion by some.

But may I ask anyone that may be able to enlighten me here as I feel I have missed something..

Where did the Sun get these "quotes" from?

I would like to see the whole interview from this related comment from Benteke as I have browsed the net and cannot find an interview with Benteke that contains those comments the Sun published anywhere.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I dont see why he felt the need to give the quotes but its doesnt bother me. Bent left sunderland for us when we were below them in the league, recently Lambert left Norwich for us when we had finished below them also. Why? Money.

If Benteke performs well for us, he'll get a move to another club. As long as he earns it, he'll go with my blessing as Young and Barry did, If not ill reserve the right to boo him.

How many people have really slagged him off since he joined us?

Enough for me to have felt the need, repeatedly to defend him. After spurs people were calling him all sorts of things. Apparently some so called fans were even laughing at him in open training.

read back through the thread, illuminating stuff

• Like 1

Islingtonclaret: I'd prefer it if people stopped using quotes for Morpheus. It bypassess the filter if you do that.

Its going to take a shit load more than that to get rid of me.

Every little helps.

(sorry islingtonclaret, one last quote before I click the block button)

Enough for me to have felt the need, repeatedly to defend him. After spurs people were calling him all sorts of things. Apparently some so called fans were even laughing at him in open training.

read back through the thread, illuminating stuff

Me too. When I suggested that he will be off to better clubs than our in two years I was ridiculed more than I have ever been here before (and I have said some stupid stuff...).

i said somethign similar in the westwood thread when someone suggested he might be off to united in a few years but it's true for any player i spose. for him to get poached by a champs league club in the premier league he's going to have to play for a coupel of seasons at a very very good level for us first. at which point he'll cost a fortune and will have helped us move on as a club.

if he goes at that point we'll make a load of money, which even if only 80% goes back into the squad and we get a couple of younger replacements with the same potential and only 1 works out as good, then we're still moving forward as a club.

we have to accept that until we are challenging for the the CL we cannot expect to keep players who want to and more importantly have the talent to play at that level. i mean, you don't see many players refusing moves to the premier league from the championship do you?

Â